The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Adelaide is the kind of place where if you just drop anchor, pick your balls to score of and accumulate you can end up with a very big score. Someone from Clarke, Cook, Pietersen, Bell is likely to get something the other side of 170. As there are more English than Australians on that list, I reckon England have a decent shout of a 400+.

You make it sound so easy mate.;)

Agree what you're saying, it can be done, KP's double here was probably his finest hour, IMO. Just not sure any of them have the form at the moment.

What's the follow on amount out of interest??

370. For all the doom and pessimism we need to see where England are when the 5th wicket goes down before passing judgement. Clarkes record on this ground is eye watering. But Bell and Pietersen have shown a liking to it in the past.

If Carberry and Root can see off 15 overs I suspect Englands middle order can still fire them into a comfortable position to get a draw. Adelaide is a quicks graveyard.

England arent looking good here . It will take a big effort now to save this one. The two guys in now are inexperienced at test level. Lose them quickly and you are into the guts of the batting and an out of form Prior and a debutant to come. England are batting under pressure too nopw so I reckon they could disintegrate. Was impressed with spray it everywhere Mitchell in the last test, he is looking confident and when he is confident he is a top cricketer who will damage good batting sides never mind a shaky lot like England have turned into.

The wicket is definitely an utter road but England were right to pick the two spinners and the ginger ninja bowled really quite wellas third seamer. I hope he can settle into this team and also get some runs under his belt because it will mean Panesar can be in the side a lot more and I think he can still do a good job in tandem with Swann.

Its the batting thats no good with England just now. Trott is gone, probablynever to return, Cook has been scratching around for a few series now after golden patch, Bell was magnificent in the summer but isnt going to be at that sort of level and Pietersen will do it at times of course. Root is being persisted with in spite of not really looking established and Prior hasnt scored runs for ages now. It just doesnt look too reliable and with the Aussies smelling blood its only going to heap the pressure on.

If England lose this they are in for a hell of a gubbing this winter I reckon. If they can draw it and draw it relatively comfortably then it will keep the series alive. Its a big morning session for the two guys batting just now, if they can stick around and make the Aussie bowlers toil a bit then it will be helpful.