The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Win against Oman in the last game and we're definitely through as Kenya and Netherlands still have to play each other. Lose and we're almost certainly out. A washout would mean we're hoping for a Dutch win in that game.

Fuller update:

post-107-0-65188200-1437051126_thumb.png

Remaining games

Tomorrow:

Canada vs Netherlands (10am)

Oman vs UAE (10am)

Saturday

Scotland vs Oman (10am)

Afghan vs Canada (10am)

Netherlands vs Kenya (2.15pm)

UAE and Canada are out, which leaves 5 teams fighting for 4 play-off spots- the higher you finish the better, 1st goes to the semis and qualifies for the main tournament automatically, 2nd and 3rd get an extra bite at the cherry of qualification if they lose one game. 4th you have to win your knockout match to qualify.

A win would qualify us and I think almost guarantee us at least 3rd because of our massive NRR advantage over Netherlands in the event they win their last 2 games. A loss and we're relying on the Dutch to lose one of their last 2 to sneak 4th.

A tie (or more likely a washout) and I think we're OK based on the NRR again- we'd be on 7 and if Kenya take anything off the Netherlands then they'll have had to overturn a fairly hefty NRR margin vs Canada tomorrow, and if Netherlands win vs Kenya, we'd finish ahead of Kenya.

In the other group Ireland are actually under a wee bit of pressure to top the group having lost to PNG, and they're pretty much the only team I'd want to avoid if we did finish 2nd or 3rd.

Edited by Fuctifano

Question: I was trying to run someone out on Tuesday night at the non-strikers end as the bowler. The batsmen comes and bashes into me when I'm trying to collect the ball to break the stumps. Does this contravene any laws or is it just "not in the spirit of cricket?".

Question: I was trying to run someone out on Tuesday night at the non-strikers end as the bowler. The batsmen comes and bashes into me when I'm trying to collect the ball to break the stumps. Does this contravene any laws or is it just "not in the spirit of cricket?".

How far were you from the stumps?

If it was deliberate then surely there is a shout for obstructing the field?

Pitch looks lifeless. Temperament of England's batsmen could be crucial. A lot harder to get a good total when you are looking at the opposition sitting at 500 or more. Assuming Australia don't have a disaster tomorrow morning it looks like England will have to deal with the pressure.

Assuming Australia do amass an imposing total will England be already thinking about going for the draw or will they continue in their positive vein?

Pitch looks lifeless. Temperament of England's batsmen could be crucial. A lot harder to get a good total when you are looking at the opposition sitting at 500 or more. Assuming Australia don't have a disaster tomorrow morning it looks like England will have to deal with the pressure.

Assuming Australia do amass an imposing total will England be already thinking about going for the draw or will they continue in their positive vein?

I think you have to play the way you play. I fear that there will be a few lifeless pitches this series.

With the pitch as it is it still looks the result will be a draw.

The batsman should get out of the way of the bowler but it seems to be one that is left to Umpires and captains to sort out.

How far were you from the stumps?

two yards at the most. Realistically it wouldn't have made a difference as his pal was umpiring and the team in question were skating very close to the line of cheating.

The batsman should get out of the way of the bowler but it seems to be one that is left to Umpires and captains to sort out.

It was a very ill tempered game. Their players calling fours when it was five yards inside the boundary from fifty yards away, not giving plum LBWs etc. Arguably the worst game of cricket I've played.

I got two wickets though, so I suppose it wasn't too bad.

Edited by kerrdavidson95

two yards at the most. Realistically it wouldn't have made a difference as his pal was umpiring and the team in question were skating very close to the line of cheating.

It was a very ill tempered game. Their players calling fours when it was five yards inside the boundary from fifty yards away, not giving plum LBWs etc. Arguably the worst game of cricket I've played.

That's just not cricket!

I played a bit years ago and couldn't believe some of the grudges that were held between teams that lasted years.

The guys that played Rugby in the winter sometimes being the worst offenders.

I've seen similar things happen in low level hockey matches. I remember watching an indoor match where one umpire kept giving everything to one team. I shouted out about one particular decision - effectively telling the umpire to stop giving his own club decisions.

What followed was quite funny. He marches over and tries to red card me as a spectator. I laughed in his face. He starts to ask for my name - I tell him I'm not linked to either club, that I'm no longer an active player and that he is just following in the grand tradition of biased umpires from ABC Hockey Club. He looks bemused - says I've no right to be there - I point out that this is a Council facility and that I have every right to be there. I also then proceed to quote the laws of the game that he has blatantly got wrong. By this point the steam is coming out if his ears - and he has to be dragged away by his team.

A few more spectators joined in with me - alternatively booing and cheering when the umpire got a decision right or wrong. As the game progressed you could clearly see that he was consciously avoiding us booing him to the extent that he actually gave decisions against his own team that really should have gone the other way.

His team got the message though - for the next match they had someone else umpiring.

I've seen similar things happen in low level hockey matches. I remember watching an indoor match where one umpire kept giving everything to one team. I shouted out about one particular decision - effectively telling the umpire to stop giving his own club decisions.

What followed was quite funny. He marches over and tries to red card me as a spectator. I laughed in his face. He starts to ask for my name - I tell him I'm not linked to either club, that I'm no longer an active player and that he is just following in the grand tradition of biased umpires from ABC Hockey Club. He looks bemused - says I've no right to be there - I point out that this is a Council facility and that I have every right to be there. I also then proceed to quote the laws of the game that he has blatantly got wrong. By this point the steam is coming out if his ears - and he has to be dragged away by his team.

A few more spectators joined in with me - alternatively booing and cheering when the umpire got a decision right or wrong. As the game progressed you could clearly see that he was consciously avoiding us booing him to the extent that he actually gave decisions against his own team that really should have gone the other way.

His team got the message though - for the next match they had someone else umpiring.

I'm a football referee, I love it when spectators pull that line (or point out it's a public park). My reply is always along the lines of you go or the game is abandoned and it's on you. Gets the message across quickly. Edited by die hard doonhamer

I'm a football referee, I love it when spectators pull that line (or point out it's a public park). My reply is always along the lines of you go or the game is abandoned and it's on you. Gets the message across quickly.

I wasn't being abusive though.

There's also a slight difference in that I was not an interested party - you can say "you go or the game is abandoned" because the spectators 999 times out of 1000 you are dealing with have a vested interest.

It was the fact that I had no link to either team that meant he didn't know what to do. By the way, umpiring at that time wasn't like refereeing for lower level hockey. Each side usually supplied an umpire, there was no obligation for them to have any qualification. The club in question, certainly at that time, were notorious for having biased umpires. If he'd attempted to abandon the game I think the other umpire would have had something to say about it.

I wasn't being abusive though.

There's also a slight difference in that I was not an interested party - you can say "you go or the game is abandoned" because the spectators 999 times out of 1000 you are dealing with have a vested interest.

It was the fact that I had no link to either team that meant he didn't know what to do. By the way, umpiring at that time wasn't like refereeing for lower level hockey. Each side usually supplied an umpire, there was no obligation for them to have any qualification. The club in question, certainly at that time, were notorious for having biased umpires. If he'd attempted to abandon the game I think the other umpire would have had something to say about it.

No I get that, I just found that line amusing. I've experienced club officials umpiring in the past as well, you'll always get problems with that system.