The Cricket Thread

bewlay

England to be on the end of a heavy innings defeat inside four days.

They've messed up with the slow pitch that's been prepared here.Its one thing trying to blunt the Aussie attack but they made their own attack toothless in the process.

England could end up in a position where winning the toss could make or break them in the remaining tests.

Army Brat. Auld man umpired a lot of games where I at times filled in as 11th, 12th scorekeeper (different coloured pens and all). Mainly in the Hampshire Leagues. Of course there was school

Woo Hampshire, that's where I live!

I was seeing this girl from Berkshire a few years back whose maw was a regular scorekeeper for the local village side. Her charts were a work of art.

So I'm guessing that your auld man was the Motherwell fan?

Woo Berkshire, that's where I'm moving!

I prefer reading this thread to actually watching cricket.

I dip in and out of cricket, so I may not in the best position to judge, but is Alistair Cook not the most conservative, boring and lifeless batsman about? Seems to swallow about 200 balls and return about 45 runs, at best. Is it just me that thinks that?

but is Alistair Cook not the most conservative, boring and lifeless batsman about? Seems to swallow about 200 balls and return about 45 runs, at best. Is it just me that thinks that?

He is a very negative and mono tonic player and captain - synonymous with English cricket at the minute.

I dip in and out of cricket, so I may not in the best position to judge, but is Alistair Cook not the most conservative, boring and lifeless batsman about? Seems to swallow about 200 balls and return about 45 runs, at best. Is it just me that thinks that?

That used to be a opening batsmens job,to see off the new ball for the middle order.The amount of limited over cricket played now has seen the game move forward and maybe leave guys like Cook behind.

That's the caricature.

Yes he is a conservative batsmen, especially for the moderngame , but he's had a great deal of success with his (limited) methods. 9,000+ runs at an average of 46 is not to be sniffed at, no matter how you get them. The danger for me is if he tries to be something he's not to fit in with the new positive attitude the English Test team are seemingly adopting. Without question he'll end his career as England's most successful batsmen and there is talk of him challenging some of Sachin's numerous records.

Edited by AberdeenBud

That used to be a opening batsmens job,to see off the new ball for the middle order.The amount of limited over cricket played now has seen the game move forward and maybe leave guys like Cook behind.

He's an old fashioned player, definitely. But I think there's still room for someone like that in every opening partnership. And frankly, when he's in form, he's the best opener going. You only have to see the freak show that is the England number 2 opener position to see how good Cook is.

His captaincy is conservative, but he plays in a conservative team. And he's a relative radical compared with Strauss.

Edited by Savage Henry

I personally think there are not enough Cooks in the game these days. There are plenty tests like this one where you need to defend a monster score with more than 3 days to play where batting time is more effective than 4 an over.

Made my mind up that Lythe is not the answer at the moment. Have not paid enough attention to county cricket the last two seasons to suggest someone different though.

Often Lords gets even flatter over the second half of the game so this game is not guaranteed to be a convict win

The first Test victory masked the two diddies in England's top 3. Lyth looks like another who's not up to scratch(I'd take a gamble and throw in Hales, alright he's a bit agricultural and his FC average is, well, average, but then Trescothick was similar when they threw him in) and there's absolutely no way Ballance is a Test first drop. Bowled 6 times in his last ten innings, you wouldn't be happy with that from a tailender.

Edited by AberdeenBud

If England can somehow avoid the follow on then it's a draw. Massively relying on cook scoring big though.

Is rain forecast? If England do somehow get up to around 400 then Aus could still win. Bat the lead back up to around 450 on day 4 then bowl them out on day 5.

England's top order is a bit of a joke really. Even when they won in Cardiff their top order was still hopeless. Bell in particular, and Lyth isn't even nearly good enough for this level. That was pretty much an amateur shot from him to get out today which he could have left... And on second ball too!

Is rain forecast? If England do somehow get up to around 400 then Aus could still win. Bat the lead back up to around 450 on day 4 then bowl them out on day 5.

England's top order is a bit of a joke really. Even when they won in Cardiff their top order was still hopeless. Bell in particular, and Lyth isn't even nearly good enough for this level. That was pretty much an amateur shot from him to get out today which he could have left... And on second ball too!

The previous 8 test performances by the top order shown by Sky said it all really.

Would definitely keep Cook in the line up, in form he's very good at soaking up the balls (lolz) allowing the middle order to do their stuff.