The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Ballance started well but hasn't looked good recently. Lyth isn't good enough and Bell is struggling (though I still think he's class).

How long until the media are talking about KP again?

I'd give Ballance more time. Lyth and Bell need to go (Bell back in the day an outstanding batsman but the year's stats don't lie). Having said that I don't know if anyone is really capable of stepping in. Bairstow maybe? More middle order though.

I'm amazed the media haven't started the KP garbage already.

I'd give Ballance more time. Lyth and Bell need to go (Bell back in the day an outstanding batsman but the year's stats don't lie). Having said that I don't know if anyone is really capable of stepping in. Bairstow maybe? More middle order though.

I'm amazed the media haven't started the KP garbage already.

I agree on Ballance.

Maybe push Moeen back up the order and bring in Bairstow at 8? I don't really follow county cricket much, so unless sky sports mention them regularly I've no idea who the options are.

Scotland win by 23 runs and Afghan game washed out, remarkably the only team that can finish above us now is Kenya, if the Dutch beat them we top the group and qualify automatically.

worst case scenario now is Kenya win or washout and we finish 2nd, we will play the 3rd place team from group A, even if we lose that we get another play off match to qualify.

Edited by Fuctifano

Kenya 15/3 :huh:

Just worked out if they were all out for 100, Holland would have to get them in 7.2 overs to qualify 1st.

If they're all out for 50, Holland have to get them in 6.4 overs which is significantly easier.

edit: I must admit I didn't think such a big swing was possible in one game, assumed it would have to be something like being all out for 50 then chased down in 5 overs.

Edited by Fuctifano

Kenya all out 97 off the last ball of the innings- if my maths is correct- which it may not be, Netherlands have 7 overs and 4 balls to get this and top the group- of course if they get it at all they qualify but no option really but to have a go until they're 3 down or something and then just bat.

Realistically I think we're humped for top spot, would have been a bit of a fluke with Afghan having two games rained off you'd expect them to win but it would have been nice. No doubt we'll end up getting the Irish from group A.

Kenya all out 97 off the last ball of the innings- if my maths is correct- which it may not be, Netherlands have 7 overs and 4 balls to get this and top the group- of course if they get it at all they qualify but no option really but to have a go until they're 3 down or something and then just bat.

Realistically I think we're humped for top spot, would have been a bit of a fluke with Afghan having two games rained off you'd expect them to win but it would have been nice. No doubt we'll end up getting the Irish from group A.

Not sure how you reckon we're humped for top spot? The most likely outcome is that Netherlands win but they'd have to go at nearly 13 an over to finish above us. Don't forget they need to make absolutely sure they win to get a playoff place. If they lose they finish fifth in the group.

Your calculations are pretty much correct but there is a further complication depending on how many Netherlands score. They need 98 to win so the minimum score they can get, should they win, is obviously 98. However, they could get as high as 103, in the unlikely event that they hit a six to win the match, with the scores level prior to that.

To summarise:

Kenya win: Kenya finish top

No result or tie: Scotland finish top

Netherlands win in 7.4 overs of fewer: Netherlands finish top

Netherlands win in 8.2 overs or more: Scotland finish top

Netherlands win in 7.5-8.1 overs: Netherlands or Scotland finish top depending on how many runs Netherlands score above the 98 target.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa