The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I know it's the modern theory to bat again unless weather is threatening but I'm surprised at that, don't think England's top order would have fancied another hour of the Aussie pacemen.

I can understand him wanting to give his pace bowlers a rest though, they've put in a good shift last night/today and I'll be surprised if the Aussie bat beyond lunch tomorrow. That will leave England 5 sessions to bat through, unlikely I would have thought.

Back to Scotland for a sec (as it's more enjoyable), there is an actual trophy to be won here as well as world cup qualification, and today's results mean we're into the semis where we'll play the winner of Afghanistan vs 2nd in group A, who finish tomorrow.

I can understand him wanting to give his pace bowlers a rest though, they've put in a good shift last night/today and I'll be surprised if the Aussie bat beyond lunch tomorrow. That will leave England 5 sessions to bat through, unlikely I would have thought.

Good point

Back to Scotland for a sec (as it's more enjoyable), there is an actual trophy to be won here as well as world cup qualification, and today's results mean we're into the semis where we'll play the winner of Afghanistan vs 2nd in group A, who finish tomorrow.

Unfortunately the rest of the tournament is taking place in Dublin so even if we get a chance to avenge our defeat against Afghanistan I can't go

There was never any doubt aus would bat again. Modern run rates pretty much negate the need to enforce follow ons. Aus in the field for 90 odd overs. More than two full days to play. No brainer to bat again for a bit. By the time they declare tomorrow either in time to bowl before lunch or even just after they will be 500ish ahead again. Not many teams bat 120 overs to save a game never mind 150 overs.

Having said that I still go back to this being a road and remember Sri Lanka betting 500 odd to save a test at Lords a few years ago.

Needs some top order guts and not sure England don't have three walking wickets in the top 5

England need to get 367 to avoid follow on. The 300 benchmark is more to do with how long it should take them to get there and even with a follow on, they can save the game by batting out most if not the rest of the match

Fact of day - Bell's 5th dismissal this year for 1. Tied record for a year

Bell needs to be dropped - especially if he does the same tomorrow.

Should be an entertaining morning session. Wickets irrelevant at this stage really, Aussie batsmen will have the freedom to score as quickly as possible.

Expecting them to make the declaration just after lunch.