The Cricket Thread

bewlay

for the first time in his career bell is showing that he can do it without someone else already having done it.

he has ddcided the ashes as without his runs aus would be in front

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

A much better day from England, much more incisive with the ball, and Bell and the middle order batted really well.

sixty-eighty more runs from England tomorrow should be enough, I reckon. But ti is a very tight game. England have done well after playing poorly for the first half of the match.

That was a brilliant innings from Bell.He has got his runs in a series that has looked difficult for batsmen.

A couple of hundred ahead is a decent position, possibly enough to win it especially as the bounce is getting a bit more erratic and one or two have spun.

England can bat as long as they can now tomorrow, and take this match well away from Australia. With the pressure on Aussie I still think the crumble is possible from them.

What an enthralling days Test cricket.

As others have said a fantastic performance by Bell. Three hundreds in the series now and every one of them has been vitally important in the context of the match, it's not like he's been coming at 300-3. Thought Bairstow looked in the best nick he has all series but it might be time to give Taylor a go in the last Test.

England are in a good position now, their game to lose surely. Would like to think a lead of 250+ will be enough.

As others have said a fantastic performance by Bell. Three hundreds in the series now and every one of them has been vitally important in the context of the match, it's not like he's been coming at 300-3. Thought Bairstow looked in the best nick he has all series but it might be time to give Taylor a go in the last Test.

England are in a good position now, their game to lose surely. Would like to think a lead of 250+ will be enough.

Bairstow got a good ball this time and he was batting well enough. It bounced on him from nowhere.

200 will be hard to chase down, anything near 250 will be a put the mortgage on it job.

Making predictions in this series is a dangerous game but I'll give it a go anyway. I fancy this one to go to the wire. I think Australia could chase down 240-250, but if England can get anywhere near 300 ahead then it's game over.

Making predictions in this series is a dangerous game but I'll give it a go anyway. I fancy this one to go to the wire. I think Australia could chase down 240-250, but if England can get anywhere near 300 ahead then it's game over.

It will be a fourth innings with a chance for both sides. What more could you ask for in test cricket? It looks like it will be good bowling conditions again tomorrow.

Bud. Yes. Just delightful. I went out around lunchtime and missed 3 wickets.

But nobody can really call this until after the 1st session tomorrow (see? I'm learning) and if England lose early wickets then I see it heading for a draw.

How's the weather looking?

Bud. Yes. Just delightful. I went out around lunchtime and missed 3 wickets.

But nobody can really call this until after the 1st session tomorrow (see? I'm learning) and if England lose early wickets then I see it heading for a draw.

They were forecasting some rain tomorrow but not enough to save England according to Jim Maxwell on TMS.

Damian Martyn,Michael Vaughan and Geoffrey Boycott must be on a good earner shuttling between tv and radio all day.

Edited by mjw

They were forecasting some rain tomorrow but not enough to save England according to Jim Maxwell on TMS.

MJW, do England need saving? I ask because (as other posters know) I'm just at the kindergartine stage re. cricket. My (untutored) take is that it's, to use a technical term, eeksy-peeksy - and all hangs on tomorrow's opening session.

Have I made a chunt of myself here?

MJW, do England need saving? I ask because (as other posters know) I'm just at the kindergartine stage re. cricket.  My (untutored) take is that it's, to use a technical term, eeksy-peeksy - and all hangs on tomorrow's opening session.

I don't think England need saved here.

They have runs on the board and a tail that can wag.

Add in Swann, Broad and Jimmy, a fifth day pitch and an Australian top order who have been vulnerable.

I have England as favorites

if England lose early wickets then I see it heading for a draw.

there is no chance of a draw now bar weather. if eng lose early wickets it is a toss between them and if not it will be 3-0 this time tomorrow, mid tues at the very very latest.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

MJW, do England need saving? I ask because (as other posters know) I'm just at the kindergartine stage re. cricket. My (untutored) take is that it's, to use a technical term, eeksy-peeksy - and all hangs on tomorrow's opening session.

No.

If England bat another session and a bit they should have ll the runs they are going to need to win. I cant see Australia getting the runs required in these conditions. Anything over 250 is safety and there will be no declaration either. Cook will be wanting to bat as long as possible, the series win is also there for the taking with a draw, so simply batting as long as possible is the way to go.

Both teams tails have collapsed pretty cheaply in this test so far, and it could happen again easily enough. Having a 200 run lead with half the wickets left is fine. even getting a couple of hundred batting last in a test can be tough work, its more than competitive asit stands now but it will be added to in the morning.