The Cricket Thread

bewlay

and...................

Two entirely different situations, it's possible to think Pietersen was wrong in one situation but right in the other - I daresay that's Newall opinion. I was just pointing out that Pietersen no stranger to disharmony - it's well known within the cricket community that he's an abrasive charachter and it would have been better (and not just in hindsight) for Moores to be moved sideways and Pitersen accomodated with a coach he felt he could work with. It seems like an absolute folly to choose the squad for the West Indies tour in his absence.

I was just pointing out that the Notts incident was blown out of proportion.

I'll be glad to see the back of Hayden, made loads of runs without ever making you think he was a great player. Just a bully, really. On the few occasions in his career he's had to face really good pace bowling he's struggled. Against anything less than that when he can get his foot down the pitch and take the ball early he can make hay. For which, fair play I suppose - but good riddance anyway, never liked him.

Pietersen has much to contribute to England yet, don't worry.

If memerory serves me,Hayden didnt get going till the last test in England.The whole team(Aussie has a weary look about it.

Interesting to see various comments from Australia on the England situation,Lawson saying that he thinks it will actually gee England up.We will see. KP has i think misjudged the situation and the ammount of support he thought he had. Alot of comment in the papers today,not all of it complimentary.

I was just pointing out that the Notts incident was blown out of proportion.

So much so that he asked to be released from the final year of his contract and indeed he did leave in 2004 even though Notts won promotion.

I'm not saying Pietersen is always in the wrong but controversy has followed him throughout his career - leaving South Africa because of the quota system, derogatory remarks about his English Club side, his time at Notts and now this episode.

Your previous post it mentioned that Pietersen "respected" Clive Rice (another South African!) and I believe you were hoping for a Pietersen/Ford partnership to be the outcome of this squabble - no doubt KP was too. He just strikes me as being too insular and a South African who just happens to play his Test cricket for England.

Kevin Pietersen and Mick Newell

It was a surprise to hear support for Pietersen coming from Newell, the director of cricket at Nottinghamshire, because he'd been in charge when Pietersen had another very public falling out. Pietersen asked to be released from his contract but was forced to play out the final year of his deal before joining Hampshire, and didn't enjoy the new regime under Newell - who had replaced Clive Rice, a man Pietersen respected - and Jason Gallian. There was the story of Pietersen's kit-bag being hurled out of the dressing room. "It was one cricket bat but it's been well documented that everything went out of the window," Gallian told the Independent. "Probably my dummy as well."

Support for Pietersen has come from Mick Newell, the Nottinghamshire coach, who was involved when Pietersen fell out with the county in 2004 and moved to Hampshire. Newell said that the divide between captain and coach will be hard to mend now that the row has become so public

"You want to be backing the captain but you set a very dangerous precedent if you over-rule the coach to give the captain what he wants," he told the Press Association. "It would be better to get an agreement between them and get on with it but it being in the public domain now makes that more difficult.

"It's Hugh Morris' job to mediate in all this but, with the stage at which this is at, there does not appear much way back," he said. "Kevin is our best player by a long way, not only the captain, so it's a very difficult situation.

Actually when you look at what Newell said it is not really what I'd call support! :lol:

I meant the whole kit thrown off the balcony stuff.

There's no denying that he's mighty keen on getting his own way, but I think he's the best candidate to captain the England side right now, and it's absolutly vital that any skipper has a coach who he can work with, if that happens to be a South African then so be it.

EDIT - that last post wasn't my words it was lifted from Cricinfo, purely to point out what Gallien was saying about the whole kit throwing incident.

Edited by kullibino

I meant the whole kit thrown off the balcony stuff.

There's no denying that he's mighty keen on getting his own way, but I think he's the best candidate to captain the England side right now, and it's absolutly vital that any skipper has a coach who he can work with, if that happens to be a South African then so be it.

EDIT - that last post wasn't my words it was lifted from Cricinfo, purely to point out what Gallien was saying about the whole kit throwing incident.

The Newell statement in my previous post was from Cricinfo too - I'm just puzzled as to how they ended up spinning it as support for Pietersen.

I agree with you Pietersen is the most suitable option for England captain - the whole situation has been bungled by the ECB.

Probably because they seem to back KP, either thyat or he said something they never quoted there.

I think the ECb probably did the right thing if he offered them thaqt ultimatum , you can't have someone dictating to them like that, but the end result wasn't ideal.

However it's better to have happened now than the week before the first ashes test.

Hopefully we'll now see Strauss as skipper for Tests and ODI's(In for Bell opening) if not Twenty20's, and either Moody(Just taken over at WA and say's he wants to spend at least 4 years there) or Ford as coach.

If memerory serves me,Hayden didnt get going till the last test in England.The whole team(Aussie has a weary look about it.

Interesting to see various comments from Australia on the England situation,Lawson saying that he thinks it will actually gee England up.We will see. KP has i think misjudged the situation and the ammount of support he thought he had. Alot of comment in the papers today,not all of it complimentary.

Was Hayden not having a bit of 'how's yer faither' with Adam Gilchrist wife at the time? Maybe thats got something to do with it......?

It wasn't so much that he didn't get going until the last Test, it was only at the Oval that he slowed down, played later and more carefully, scored more slowly and realised the need to build an innings rather than trying to bully the bowlers in his usual manner. That was the only time I can think of when he showed that kind of adaptability - but even that seems to have deserted him now.

Pietersen released a statementlast night,heard it on 5 live Drive, to the effect that he is going to take a couple of weeks out to take stock. I wonder if he may jack England in and embrace the IPL instead. Ive not checked the papers today.

Pietersen released a statementlast night,heard it on 5 live Drive, to the effect that he is going to take a couple of weeks out to take stock. I wonder if he may jack England in and embrace the IPL instead. Ive not checked the papers today.

No danger, I bet he makes more from Sponsorship than he would from the IPL.

Guest hail the hoops
Will be going to see Scotland at Derbys and Lancs this season.Aussie vs India was the best test series in years

up till aussies got beat by the sonth africa

Guest hail the hoops
Unless, of course, the rest of the dressing room is behind him. Clearly they weren't behind KP, who seems a bit of a dick, to be fair.

and a big dick at that.

its all look at me.but up against a decent spinner.he trips over trying to attack up the wicket.

ur captain must be someone who stands in the slips.all the best captains do.or mainly do.smith ponting.

Guest hail the hoops
Just watched the Kiwis pick up another correct bat-pad wicket through referral after the on-field umpire didn't give it. If they don't adopt this full time it's a disgrace.

Brendan Nash in now, when was the last white man to play for the West Indies?

has to be one referral each though.as its over in 3days with the 3.

and a big dick at that.

its all look at me.but up against a decent spinner.he trips over trying to attack up the wicket.

ur captain must be someone who stands in the slips.all the best captains do.or mainly do.smith ponting.

Your best slip fielder should be in the slips, and your best captain should be your captain, unless you're keeper is a mute there's not much to be gained by him fielding there.

and a big dick at that.

There's absolutely no doubting KP's abilities as a batsman.

Smith is South African captain for political reasons.

Vaughn wasn't a slip fielder. I can only think of Atherton in England's recent past. Actually most captains tend to field at mid on as they can talk to their bowler and change the field more easily.