The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Mannofield is a dump of a ground and far too small to host an International Cricket game. The place looks so amateurish its unbelievable and for a game of this magnitude in Scotland I'd have thought the sponsors would have been all over the place to try and get trackside advertising but apparently not, that shows how much impetus the CEO has in our national setup.

Would much rather have it at a large ground like Langloan (Coatbridge) where there is tonnes of room for stands and corporates, or Watsonians (Edinburgh) again plenty of space. Its a shame that these places' pitches aren't any good or the quality of location isn't there.

Sad indictment of Scottish cricket at the moment, hope things improve.

England won by 39 runs. From what I saw there were some good points for Scotland especially the catching.

If we'd kept 'em down to 150 and our top order had been firing, it might have been close. England in control pretty much throughout, though it looked like it could get interesting when Leask was smashing a few over the rope.

Was in row two of Stand B, so caught the full 'force' of the aforementioned knobbers. Shame, because most of the travelling support I spoke to in the pub during the rain delay were top drawer.

Was a good day out all in. Was about halfway up Stand A, right behind Taylor's boundary catch, place went mental. Good atmosphere and banter between Scots and English in our Stand. Didn't quite restrict England's run rate enough and didn't get going with the bat, bar Leask who for 10 minutes had me naively beginning to dream!

The West Ham eejits were the only dampner outside the weather. Absolute idiots with zero interest in the cricket. Trying as hard as possible to cause a stooshie with Scots. Absolute arseholes.

Probably better in here than the gaming thread as no non-cricket fans will buy it, but got Don Bradman cricket for PS3 on Thursday and spent a bit of Thursday and most of today playing it after reading reasonably favourable reviews.

Cricket computer games have generally been terrible over the years with bowling either an absolute chore or just the matter of where to pitch the ball to get a wicket 100% of the time. This game totally changes the control mechanism and you use the analogue sticks to determine the type of ball bowled and direction. So you can't just spam inswinging yorkers every time you bowl, which is something.

Batting again uses the analogue sticks with the left determining where your front foot goes and right where you want to hit the ball. With no idea of where the ball is going to pitch before it's bowled, a reticle appears when the ball is released where green = good length, yellow = overpitched and red= short.

You can either have auto fielding or manual, you use the right stick to take catches.

Other good features are the DRS system and manually appealing.

There are no official licenses but they get round this by automatically offering you the chance to import the highest rated user created teams from the community. So no problem with real names etc.

You can play the usual wad of tournaments but also have a create a pro mode, fortunately there's a "simulate to career pro" mode during the game so you can skip to the parts where your player is batting or bowling , although if you're the non striker you have to watch your team mate at the other end (though you get to call runs)

Main problems I've come across so far are -

the batting is far harder than the bowling for each skill level, even with Scotland I've been rolling teams for less than 50 on the easier levels, and when you move up the level to Pro (the middle of the 5) batting is fucking hard but bowling is reasonable.

The running between the wickets can be comedy, you need to make sure you run your bat in or get back in your crease as the non-striker if playing in pro mode or you can get run out walking back into your crease.

The close fielders and bowler take absolute worldie catches , full blooded drives picked out the air one handed at silly point etc.

You have to decide in advance if you're playing a defensive shot. Unless I'm being retarded or you're expected to have the reactions of a mongoose.

Commentary is terrible but that's standard on all sports computer games.

Overall I think it's a big step forward considering it's a small studio rather than an EA sports, with a couple of patches to sort the obvious flaws it could be very, very good.