The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Some other stats

England's third largest win in terms of runs against South Africa

England have not lost at Kingsmead, Durban since 1928, a span of 12 Tests

South Africa end the year without a century partnership for the first time since 1963

It was only England's second Test victory away from home since 2012

The 2nd test match starts on the 2nd of January at Cape Town.

That makes it sound crap. How well did England actually play?

England played really well to get the win but this SA team has not been performing this year with only 1 win in 2015 that being the first test match of this year against WI.

South Africa's Test results in 2015

2-6 January, Cape Town Third Test v West Indies SA won by eight wickets

21-25 July, Chittagong First Test v Bangladesh Match drawn

30 July-3 August, Dhaka Second Test v Bangladesh Match drawn

5-7 November, Mohali First Test v India India won by 108 runs

14-18 November, Bangalore Second Test v India Match drawn

25-27 November, Nagpur Third Test v India India won by 124 runs

3-7 December, Delhi Fourth Test v India India won by 337 runs

26-30 December, Durban First Test v England England won by 241 runs

SA bowled pretty well but I can't see how they can turn around the batting in just two days before they go again. Given how badly they have battled recently and the fact that England always do well at Durban then it's not really a huge shock. Still a few concerns about England's batting, Cook was out cheaply twice, Hales had a better second innings but still looked largely unconvincing. All told England have to be favourites for the second test on that showing, and you have to wonder if it's worth rushing Anderson back.

I wouldn't write South Africa off at all, with Amla and de Villiers they have two of the top 5 (in my opinion) Test batsmen in the world and I have been impressed with Elgar too.

I don't think Amla is captain material and I would take the gloves off de Villiers. I would think Duminy would make an excellent captain and let Amla concentrate on his batting. If they get back to any kind of form and with a fit Steyn (3rd test onwards) and Morkel then they could easily turn the series around.

Amla doesn't want to be captain and had to be talked into the job. If you take the players out off form and Steyn possibly injured and add the politics of Sa sports,they won't be able to make sweeping changes.

Amla doesn't want to be captain and had to be talked into the job. If you take the players out off form and Steyn possibly injured and add the politics of Sa sports,they won't be able to make sweeping changes.

Is there a good article about the politics of SA sports? I heard old boycott mention earlier.

Is there a good article about the politics of SA sports? I heard old boycott mention earlier.

It will be the same as what is happening with the rugby and they will have a 30% black south African (mixed race doesn't count or players born elsewhere and raised in South Africa) quota

They have official quotas in state cricket and 'unofficial guidelines' for tests. The problem seems to be any test team not fitting the guidance has to be approved by the cricket board.

Boycott said he asked the president twice about it and he said they would pick the best side. I'm not sure Geoffrey was convinced.