The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Yep n it would solve the Vince / Ballance issue. Think hales has just about nailed the opener slot. As far as wk I do think bairstow has improved a lot. Both him n Buttler in the batting line up would be pretty formidable. Woakes n stokes means effectively two all rounders and with Rashid / Ali able to bowl spin and bat England shaping up pretty well.

This isn't white ball cricket though. You need a batsman who can withstand a lot of pressure and rebuild an innings rather than get out playing a big shot. Trott used to be very good at this and the closest style batsman we have to have just now is Ballance.

As much as I like an aggressive batsman like a Buttler, Pietersen or Stokes. I do enjoy watching a guy frustrate the bowlers by putting up a wall.

This isn't white ball cricket though. You need a batsman who can withstand a lot of pressure and rebuild an innings rather than get out playing a big shot. Trott used to be very good at this and the closest style batsman we have to have just now is Ballance.

As much as I like an aggressive batsman like a Buttler, Pietersen or Stokes. I do enjoy watching a guy frustrate the bowlers by putting up a wall.

Out of the two Ballance certainly looks more like the one who has the head for test cricket. England are at a fine tuning stage as a team I reckon. Couple of tweaks here n there and probably a bit more exposure to sub continent wickets and they will be a very formidable unit.

Just now, Bearwithme said:

Pakistan 69-1 at lunch. The draw is favourite right now....

Only chance of a win now would depend on one of those Broad spells when he runs through a team. (Or a visit from a bookie)

Meanwhile over in Harare the kiwis are blootering Zimbabwe with the brilliantly named BJ Watling on course to make a fourth Kiwi centurion of the innings.

3 minutes ago, mjw said:

England win by 141 runs.
That was a struggle getting the last wicket but a great win from 103 runs behind.

TMS gave a statistic about the number of teams who have managed to do that in test history. It wasn't very many at all. It may have been single figures.  

TMS gave a statistic about the number of teams who have managed to do that in test history. It wasn't very many at all. It may have been single figures.  

On the mobile version it seems I can edit posts if I've quoted someone, but it turns out that it happens 3.74% of the time.

Another tremendous team effort. Much less reliance on a couple of individuals excelling with most players making positive contributions. The bowling attack looks really formidable especially given that likes of stokes Rashid footit ball and wood weren't playing.

England currently 318-9, with Moeen Ali on 108. They will be well short of 90 overs in the day, even playing on to 6.30.

Bizarre stat of the day, England have had 9 centuries this year, 2 from number 6, 4 from number 7, and only 3 from the top 5.