The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Morgan and Hales opt not to tour Bangladesh. With Hales giving up his spot as test opener, I think that could be his test career gone.

I think his test spot was always going to be 'in trouble'. His ODI/2020 spot is not and he'll get that back. So it was a bit of a low risk decision for him.

I can't even begin to imagine how difficult a decision it must have been to decide to go or not. The Foreign Office have advised that Westerners and locations where they gather will be high risk if attack. In fact there more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the only person I'd trust with my safety is me!

Did Caddick and Croft (?) not opt out after Mumbai was bombed without any impact in their careers?

I think his test spot was always going to be 'in trouble'. His ODI/2020 spot is not and he'll get that back. So it was a bit of a low risk decision for him.

I can't even begin to imagine how difficult a decision it must have been to decide to go or not. The Foreign Office have advised that Westerners and locations where they gather will be high risk if attack. In fact there more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the only person I'd trust with my safety is me!

Did Caddick and Croft (?) not opt out after Mumbai was bombed without any impact in their careers?

I agree it was in trouble, but he would likely have been given this series, and with it being against a low ranked nation would be viewed as a good opportunity to get some runs and build confidence in the position. That opportunity will now go to someone else who may (or more likely not, given that it's England) make that second opener spot their own.

I don't envy the decision that they have had to make, must be a very difficult choice.

The careers of Caddick and Croft are before my time, so I couldn't say.

Some stats, if he's good enough, he's old enough.

Being a test cricketer is not about your stats. It's about having that little bit of something that makes the selectors realise you will be able to thrive in Test Matches.

Trescothick didn't have great stats when he was first picked. On the other hand many a player with great stats has been and not made the grade.

I haven't seen enough if haseeb to know if he is good enough.

Caddick got back in ok but Ashley Giles replaced Croft and did well so Croft didnt get another game at test level.

On 12 September 2016 at 21:53, sandros5 said:

Caddick got back in ok but Ashley Giles replaced Croft and did well so Croft didnt get another game at test level.

In fairness, Giles was a far better bowler than Croft and would have replaced him anyway sooner or later.  Caddice was in England's top three fast bowlers at the time.  

Is there a better opener than Hales?  Probably at test level there is.  

Is there a better one day middle order batsman than Morgan?  Not so clear cut.  I think he's got more chance of keeping his career going.  What would have been interesting would have been if one of the quicks had refused to travel. There's so much more competition there.

FWIW, if it were me, I'd be first on the plane given the choice.  I don't tend to give the Foreign Office travel warnings much heed.

England squads for Bangladesh.

Test squad: Alastair Cook (captain), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Zafar Ansari, Jonny Bairstow, Gary Ballance, Gareth Batty, Stuart Broad, Jos Buttler, Ben Duckett, Steven Finn, Haseeb Hameed, Adil Rashid, Joe Root, Ben Stokes, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood

ODI squad: Jos Buttler (captain), Moeen Ali, Jonny Bairstow, Jake Ball, Sam Billings, Liam Dawson, Ben Duckett, Liam Plunkett, Adil Rashid, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, James Vince, David Willey, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood.