The Cricket Thread

bewlay

1 minute ago, KingswellsRed said:

Despite his reputation as the “best finisher in cricket” Dhoni hasn’t actually been a good finisher for about 10 years. Consistently lets the run rate get out of hand. I think it was the right call from India to go with these two before him.

That's sort of the point though. This is not being a finisher. This is not losing your wicket and masterminding an innings

Guest Moomintroll
3 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

Despite his reputation as the “best finisher in cricket” Dhoni hasn’t actually been a good finisher for about 10 years. Consistently lets the run rate get out of hand. I think it was the right call from India to go with these two before him.

10 years is more than a bit harsh but I agree he hasn't been as consistent over the last few years. It is like when Shahid Afridi was declining, the Pakistan support were expecting him to smash 50 off the last 7 or 8 overs every time whereas the reality was usually smack a couple of 4s then send a shot down the throat of a fielder at cow corner. Sometimes though he still pulled it out the bag & you would not bet against MSD doing similar in a situation like this.

Pant and Pandya are both explosive guys but not usually ones you’d see stick through an innings. I honestly was surprised Dhoni never came in before Pandya.

Dhoni’s performances this World Cup have been idiosyncratic at best. I’m not sure if he’s quite got the trust of management at this point.

Guest Moomintroll

I will be singing along to various karaoke classics in Rhyl all day tomorrow & at some point will desecrate John Denver or Don McLean's musical legacy. Hope that England get their bowling tactics right & sort out the vile Warner & his cohorts. I will be all about Kilmarnock F.C tomorrow however.

Those of us who begrudged NZ edging Pakistan to 4th after they got a rained off point against India will have to give them a bit more credit after that.

In fact even actual Pakistanis will have had their spirits lifted by watching their neighbours get their arses handed to them by a rugby obsessed country with a population smaller than Hyderabad