The Cricket Thread

bewlay

16 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

And wasting the review has cost Roy as he has just been given out caught behind when it looks clear on ultraedge that he didn't hit it.

Given that Bairstow and Roy are walking wounded it's probably best that they let someone else take over 

Sunday's final will be free to view on Channel 4, with coverage switching to More 4 while the British Grand Prix is on air.
I've just seen that!

Brilliant. I was seriously considering paying up to now TV for the week. Excellent stuff.

On 09/07/2019 at 13:24, Bully Wee Villa said:

This is turning into a waste of a day off. New Zealand not even trying to make a match of it. 

On 11/07/2019 at 10:08, die hard doonhamer said:

Australia win the toss and bat at Edgbaston. That puts them as strong favourites.

Ffs lads lol

Guest Moomintroll
To be fair, my comment is just what everyone else was thinking. 
England possibly now have the best opening pairing with both bat and ball in one day cricket. This is an exceptional group of players.
Hopefully will be a good pitch, depending on the overhead conditions, it will potentially decide the result at the toss. England have peaked at the right time but Boult, Ferguson & Williamson have shone throughout. If Martin Guptill, de Grandhomme & Mitch Santner fire this could be a classic.

32 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:
To be fair, my comment is just what everyone else was thinking. 
England possibly now have the best opening pairing with both bat and ball in one day cricket. This is an exceptional group of players.

Hopefully will be a good pitch, depending on the overhead conditions, it will potentially decide the result at the toss. England have peaked at the right time but Boult, Ferguson & Williamson have shone throughout. If Martin Guptill, de Grandhomme & Mitch Santner fire this could be a classic.

In the 9 innings that New Zealand have batted in this world cup, Williamson has been at the crease by the end of the 4th over on 6 occasions. With this opening pairing for England, I expect that to be 7/10 come Sunday.

If England win the toss then they'll cruise it. If NZ win it then they might make a game of it, but I'd still put it 75:25 in England's favour.

On 11/07/2019 at 19:46, Ro Sham Bo said:

That's some hammering the Aussies have taken there. If the conditions/pitch suit batting on Sunday England will thump New Zealand.

New Zealand weather wise is the closest to England in world cricket (apart from Ireland). They grew up with swing and seam. They are the one team who with swinging over head conditions will be able to adjust. If Kanos the Destroyer and Taylor go big, all bets are off. That and their bowling attack can be lethal with a bit of movement. 

I have enjoyed watching Morgan's team. For years England's one day team always had an air of people who were contractually obliged to do this in their time off from their real jobs (test cricket) and Englands results showed. Nasser and Vaughn helped change that culture but the rest of the world was moving faster. Under Morgan England seem to have finally caught up. Extremely well drilled, innovative and aggressive. 

Joffra has been a revelation, not since Jones and Harmison have England looked so fast. Normally I favour the underdog but heres to the wee man and his team. 

In the 9 innings that New Zealand have batted in this world cup, Williamson has been at the crease by the end of the 4th over on 6 occasions. With this opening pairing for England, I expect that to be 7/10 come Sunday.
If England win the toss then they'll cruise it. If NZ win it then they might make a game of it, but I'd still put it 75:25 in England's favour.

3/1 seems about right

For New Zealand both victory and an absolute hiding are serious possibilities. But a respectable defeat seems most likely

This, coincidentally, was also my assessment of Hearts chances in the Scottish Cup Final.

Hopefully I’m right again

Think of the world cup finals I can remember (go back as far as 1992) only 2011 hasn't been an absolute shoeing. Would rather the Kiwis win but if England win then they'll have deserved it for how they've changed their approach from the last WC. 

Edited by Fuctifano

Guest Moomintroll
For anyone who has Sky but not the sports package, the cricket is on Sky 1 all day, saves channel hopping between C4 and More4.
And for anyone who has Sky Q, remember not to split the screen for the F1 as that is boring af.