The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Thoroughly deserved.  A class above.
Incidentally what about Broad, he looked done 6 months ago, now bowling as well as ever and with a tour to NZ coming up he will get a few more.

Never count him out. He’s been excellent. Pressure is now all on Jimmy Anderson to regain his place.

And England wrap it up with a brilliant catch by Joe Root, who has had a very good series as captain.

I thoroughly enjoyed that series.  Two very equal (and flawed) teams.  The bowling has been elite.  The batting, Smith and Stokes apart, less so.

Quite a touching wee goodbye on Sky from Gower and Botham... Beefy having none of it!

Edited by Savage Henry

And England wrap it up with a brilliant catch by Joe Root, who has had a very good series as captain.
I thoroughly enjoyed that series.  Two very equal (and flawed) teams.  The bowling has been elite.  The batting, Smith and Stokes apart, less so.
Quite a touching wee goodbye on Sky from Gower and Botham... Beefy having none of it!
I was reading earlier that Gower has said it feels like very much implied ageism not to renew his contract.

Really enjoyed the series. Think it flatters England just a tad to have drawn the series but Australia have had plenty of chances that they’ve blown.

Smith was in a world of his own. Broad, Cummins and Hazlewood were elite. Stokes (2 great innings but not much else), Wade (same as Stokes), Labuschagne, Burns and Archer were also pretty good.

Not good enough from a lot players like Bairstow, Buttler (until the final Test aka when the pressure is off), Woakes and Roy.

Massive lolz at Warner, Bancroft and Tim Paine’s reviewing too.

I was reading earlier that Gower has said it feels like very much implied ageism not to renew his contract.

I really like Gower, certainly more than a lot of the guys Sky are keeping on (Isa Guha and Kumar Sangkarra I’m looking at you), but I can understand Sky getting rid of him from a PC point of view. He was certainly riding close to that line for a while and often said some random off-key shit. Botham likewise. Glad Bumble has been retained though.

Fantastic test series. Some brilliant players having great series or matches. Some big names having nightmares. It was bloody god damn tough batting conditions and some of the worlds best bowlers. 

That’s the thing. There was a lot of unplayable bowling, which made Smith and Stokes’ exploits all the more remarkable. It wasn’t as if they were throwing down half-track puddings.

12 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Don’t think we’re putting Smith and Stokes together. Stokes is as close to Warner in runs as he is to Smith.

He was England's player of the series, and his century was one of the greatest innings in test history.  I think it's fair to say that his batting exploits (in that instance if nothing else) were not due to bad bowling.

14 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Don’t think we’re putting Smith and Stokes together. Stokes is as close to Warner in runs as he is to Smith.

That's more down to Smith having an exceptional series. Stokes finished up with an average of 55 in the series, which is an excellent return.

Somerset got off to a great start at the Ageas Bowl as they reduced Hampshire to 88-7 as they try to clinch their first ever County Championship. The hosts recovered though putting on 92 for the 8th wicket and are now 190-9.

Edit: Hampshire 196 all out, Josh Davey taking 2-34 from 13 overs.