The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Just now, peasy23 said:
3 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
Ah, here's the collapse. Feel sorry for pope who will be left without a score in all likelihood

New ball coming up too, should be like shooting fish in a barrel for the Saffers.

Yep. Can see them being bowled out before end if play. ETA. Do they need the new ball? Bess gone.

8 down, miles off 300 on what's being described as a good pitch. Absolutely shocking... And totally predictable.

For those on here who understand the game better than me (essentially everyone on this thread) - is this team underperforming or are they just not very good?

Broad gone now. 9 down for 234.

3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

8 down, miles off 300 on what's being described as a good pitch. Absolutely shocking... And totally predictable.

For those on here who understand the game better than me (essentially everyone on this thread) - is this team underperforming or are they just not very good?

I think this exposes England's shallow depth of batting. Their bowlers have been their strength for years.

6 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

They can't bat in Test Cricket when the ball is doing something. The attitude is all wrong. Flat track bullies, the lot of them.

ETA: Even when the ball isn't doing anything, actually. They need flat wickets and defensive fields or it invariably goes wrong.

Edited by Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo

For what it's worth I think it's a combination of a few things. This particular team is relatively young and inexperienced. There won't be many international opening pairs with as few appearances as England today. A more significant issue is that there are a lot of players in the team who aren't good enough currently but are there through lack of competition.

ETA or in the team through past achievements

For what it's worth I think it's a combination of a few things. This particular team is relatively young and inexperienced. There won't be many international opening pairs with as few appearances as England today. A more significant issue is that there are a lot of players in the team who aren't good enough currently but are there through lack of competition. ETA or in the team through past achievements
They said at the start this morning that it was England's most inexperienced top 3 for 30 years.

I’d go as far as saying Root leaving one in on Burns has ended the series for England. Sibley is learning on the job next to Burns but now we’re left with 2 inexperienced openers.

It’s a bit too early for Crawley. He has a career average of 30 and only averaged 34 this season in County cricket. That’s below Ravi Ashwin and Dom Bess. Even with guys he has scored comparable runs to, he’s well behind the likes of Cook, Ballance, Kohler-Rapemore, Northeast and Denly etc. Sibley (1324 runs at 69) and Pope (averaging over 80) are the two clear standouts to come in from County cricket.

Ideally Foakes and Moeen are brought back soon, and hopefully Sibley can be the long awaited competent opener.