The Cricket Thread

bewlay

It was [mention=32985]dorlomin[/mention] I think.

I don’t think he needs to apologise, as I slightly agree with him. Perhaps not the ‘not lived up to his potential part’ but I think he could be more consistently better. The likes of Holder, Jadeja and the now banned Shakib manage to keep up stellar averages both bowling and batting at the same time, unlike Stokes due to his lack of consistency.

But in terms of a moments player, I’m not sure there’s anybody better than Stokes. The Cristiano Ronaldo of cricket.
He's certainly done it big time when it matters. His average is only 36 odd, but all too often he has come in while everything has collapsed around about him, and has been left with only the tail for support.

He's certainly done it big time when it matters. His average is only 36 odd, but all too often he has come in while everything has collapsed around about him, and has been left with only the tail for support.

That’s kind of my point, a big game player. Definitely lived up to his potential, but the reason his bowling and batting averages aren’t great is because he’s not consistent. Will hit a big hundred but then won’t do much for a while.

Look at his Ashes stats, 2 big not out hundreds, 2 50s but then didn’t break 26 in his other 6 innings. There’s a pattern to it, it’s why his average is 36.

A great big game player, England’s best batsman in 2019 but not the Kallis that some media types seem to think.