Garden Options

HGG

Power washed the monoblock out front yesterday. Amazing difference!

Loving the way the garden is coming on just now. Tomatoes & cucumbers now coming on in greenhouse, hanging baskets filling out and everything just starting to grow and should be ggod colour by end June/July.

• 1 month later...

Reading through the thread since I've decided to take a bit of pride in my garden now. The back garden is a fucking disaster zone and I just keep it tidy but don't do much else with it. Whereas I like to look after the front garden as everyone walks past it.

The old lady that had the house before us had dug out sections for trees and also the edges for flowers. Many years of neglect from myself means that these areas has developed grass in them but are still deep. It also results in the garden sloping in all directions. Not good for a toddler trying get on her pins.

What is the best way to fill these all in to give me a relatively level patch of grass? I see Wickes do 25L bags of topsoil for around £3 a bag. Can I just fire it down or do I have to do any prep beforehand.

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by The_Craig

You can pop down topsoil. And you can buy rolls of turf. They are usually good. Lay on a bit of sharp sand and water like a monsoon. Or you can buy seed. and then put some top soil on top. Not sur how big the areas are.

Power washed the monoblock out front yesterday. Amazing difference!

done my drive last weekend, came up like new. Also the added bonus and great pleasure in telling two utter arsehole neighbours to go and f**k themselves after they complained as the moss, sand and mud went down the drive, onto the road and settled outside their drives ha ha. f**k them

Cheers.

There are 3 circles around 12 inches in diameter and a depth of around 3 inches. Again, these have grass in them which is just get the strimmer into to maintain. In the middle of the garden there's around a 3 foot wide circle dug out to a depth of ~2 inches. Again, with grass growing in it but also a cherry blossom tree I planted last year.

As for the edging, it's around a foot wide and kind varies in depth. Ideally, I would level it off to the surrounding path. As I said, trying to make it toddler friendly. Wee one has already had a couple sore bumps.

And I was just going to plant grass seed rather than turf.

Garden science:

When I cut the grass and strim the edges, the strimmed grass might be slightly taller (0.5 inch). When the grass needs cut on the other hand, the edges are much, much higher by a good few inches. Why? :huh:

Eta: If I rip out some dandelion leaving some unsightly holes in the lawn, will these grow back fairly quickly with grass-seed chucked in?

Edited by Hedgecutter

Garden science:

When I cut the grass and strim the edges, the strimmed grass might be slightly taller (0.5 inch). When the grass needs cut on the other hand, the edges are much, much higher by a good few inches. Why? :huh:

Eta: If I rip out some dandelion leaving some unsightly holes in the lawn, will these grow back fairly quickly with grass-seed chucked in?

I barely understood your first question but the second one is easy. Yes, they'll grow back but you'd be as well chucking a bit of grass seed in the gaps to speed it up. You also need to make sure you've got every last bit of dandelion root out otherwise they'll just come back. Each bit of root left in the ground will form a new plant, so if you've left three bits broken off in the ground from just one plant, you'll have three new dandelions growing there. Stick some feed and weed down and keep cutting the grass and eventually they'll just stop growing while the grass covers it up.

I barely understood your first question but the second one is easy. Yes, they'll grow back but you'd be as well chucking a bit of grass seed in the gaps to speed it up. You also need to make sure you've got every last bit of dandelion root out otherwise they'll just come back. Each bit of root left in the ground will form a new plant, so if you've left three bits broken off in the ground from just one plant, you'll have three new dandelions growing there. Stick some feed and weed down and keep cutting the grass and eventually they'll just stop growing while the grass covers it up.

Cheers.

I'll re-describe the first bit. After I've finished cutting the grass, there's only half an inch of difference (if that) between the grass length of the lawn and the edges of the lawn along the fence, chuckies etc. A few weeks on, the length difference is a good few inches, not the original half an inch.

If your needing a reasonable amount of topsoil and/or fill, get a big sling bag delivered. Much much cheaper than buying individual bags.

That's if you can access your bag garden without having to trail wheelbarrows through the house of course!

At the sizes he described, he's only needing about 50L.

In saying that though if he had bigger quantities, for about a quarter of the price he could go and get it himself from a quarry or inert recycling center instead of buying from a merchant.

Guest The Phoenix

I got the grass myself through work (with discount!) and the landscaper that I've used before - Central Landscapes - fitted it for me.

Ah!

Scotgreens is the way to go - www.scotgreens.com

At the sizes he described, he's only needing about 50L.

In saying that though if he had bigger quantities, for about a quarter of the price he could go and get it himself from a quarry or inert recycling center instead of buying from a merchant.

Tbh, I think I would need more than 50L as I plan on filling in the edging around the garden that has been taken away as well. I was planning on buying perhaps 100L at a time and doing a bit at a time. But what I'll do is take a couple photos tomorrow and show you what I mean.

How would you go about getting topsoil from a quarry or a recycling centre?

Oh and I'm very jealous of your back garden footiechick. I would love a private space to enjoy on a warm summers evening.

Tbh, I think I would need more than 50L as I plan on filling in the edging around the garden that has been taken away as well. I was planning on buying perhaps 100L at a time and doing a bit at a time. But what I'll do is take a couple photos tomorrow and show you what I mean.

Oh and I'm very jealous of your back garden footiechick. I would love a private space to enjoy on a warm summers evening.

Ya'll know what I was gonna say.

I'll leave it with ya.

Aye, sorry forgot about your edging.

Not sure where you are, but seeing as you're a Motherwell fan, I'll take a stab at near Motherwell. A quick search throws up these guys near Hamilton. Some of the quarries nearby might supply too, depends on the type of licence they have. Your neck of the woods would be Tillicoultry Quarries, Patersons of Greenoakhill, or the multinationals (Breedon or Tarmac).

I see that link for the guys near Hamilton also has a tonnage calculator on it too.

If not, even someone like ScotBark will sell you tonne-bags for £50-60 instead of buying little bags at a £4 or £5 a go.

I'm also very jealous of footiechicks back garden (sounds a bit rude). I have a big back garden, but it's nowhere near as tidy as that. Was out working in it the last couple of nights though. Will share pics once it's respectable! Been considering artificial grass for a while too, we turnover quite a lot of it at work at times but it's normally the lower grade stuff which my dog pulls all the strands out of.

Edited by Spain