Urban Exploration

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a good video about an old asylum in Dundee. Good wee twist at the end but I won't throw any spoilers out. It's a real Urban Exploration fwiw.

Where in Dundee is that?

• 4 months later...

There's an abandoned hospital outside St Andrews which is great for this kind of thing. I've went up there a couple of times with my mates in my youth but we never got in. I did meet a guy who had been in it though and he swears there was a childrens swing set that was on one side of the door when he entered and on the other when he left. Most likely his mind playing tricks on him.

Craigtoun Hospital

EDIT:

More links to Craigtoun

My link

My link

It actually looks like a really nice building! Marble staircase and everything. Shame its abandoned!

Urban Exploration is basically, getting into old buildings, having a nose around and taking pictures if you so wish to do so. I thought I was the only one that liked stuff like that. I can imagine most people wouldn't really feel that comfortable rooting around derelict Mental Hospitals and Bomb Shelters, but I find it fascinating. I'd love to do one of these.

For example, here is the old look out towers from the war on top of Purdown in Bristol, very close to my school. I used to hang around here when skiving lessons in Secondary school, and we even went on a trip there when I was in Primary.

Of course, I wouldn't be posting it here if it only related to Bristol. There's plenty of places elsewhere in the UK too.

Is anyone else involved in this sort of thing? I never knew there was a name for this hobby, let alone groups dedicated to it!

"Getting into old buildings...rooting around derelict mental hospitals and bomb shelters "....okay M, here's how to save some time..leave your laptop and get the phonebook out. Now look under R for Remax in Blantyre...sorted ! :)

In the "spirit" of things, here's a true (really !) story about an old, Victorian style building that stood in a wooded area of Burnbank, near Hamilton some years ago.

This building was at one time part of Udston Hospital, though it stood some distance and was separated by a very narrow road from the main hospital building.Over the years the main building was modernised but this one was neglected and only used for storing some supplies.

In the 1960s the property was purchased by a local boxer to be used as a training camp....his name was Walter McGowan, and he went on to become flyweight champion of the world.

The place was cleared with the exception of some medical supplies which it was agreed would still be stored there, and a ring was assembled in the largest room.

It was during a sparring session in the first week that the McGowan camp became aware that, at times, they were being observed by a tall, distinguiished looking lady in a grey nurses' uniform. It was also noted that when anyone spoke to her, she would leave the room.The guys assumed that she was involved in the distribution of the medical supplies.

This continued for a number of weeks before someone casually mentioned it to a nursing sister who had come across from the main building. "Oh, you've seen the Grey Lady then", she smiled, "she visits with us too "

She then went on to explain that this lady, who had been involved in the treatment of wounded soldiers during the war, had in fact died some years before but continued to visit the hospital and she pointed out that some patients would speak of a grey lady who had been with them and comforted them during the lowest times of their illness.

Walter McGowan continued to use this place until he retired, and there were those who said that although his career was dogged by a tendency to cut easily, some of the cuts healed quicker than they should have.

As I said, this is a true story, and although the building is long gone, there are nurses who work in Udston Hospital today, who will tell of being aware on a night shift, of the presence of the Grey Lady. ;)

In the "spirit" of things, here's a true (really !) story about an old, Victorian style building that stood in a wooded area of Burnbank, near Hamilton some years ago.

This building was at one time part of Udston Hospital, though it stood some distance and was separated by a very narrow road from the main hospital building.Over the years the main building was modernised but this one was neglected and only used for storing some supplies.

In the 1960s the property was purchased by a local boxer to be used as a training camp....his name was Walter McGowan, and he went on to become flyweight champion of the world.

The place was cleared with the exception of some medical supplies which it was agreed would still be stored there, and a ring was assembled in the largest room.

It was during a sparring session in the first week that the McGowan camp became aware that, at times, they were being observed by a tall, distinguiished looking lady in a grey nurses' uniform. It was also noted that when anyone spoke to her, she would leave the room.The guys assumed that she was involved in the distribution of the medical supplies.

This continued for a number of weeks before someone casually mentioned it to a nursing sister who had come across from the main building. "Oh, you've seen the Grey Lady then", she smiled, "she visits with us too "

She then went on to explain that this lady, who had been involved in the treatment of wounded soldiers during the war, had in fact died some years before but continued to visit the hospital and she pointed out that some patients would speak of a grey lady who had been with them and comforted them during the lowest times of their illness.

Walter McGowan continued to use this place until he retired, and there were those who said that although his career was dogged by a tendency to cut easily, some of the cuts healed quicker than they should have.

As I said, this is a true story, and although the building is long gone, there are nurses who work in Udston Hospital today, who will tell of being aware on a night shift, of the presence of the Grey Lady. ;)

I live near Wester Moffat Hospital in Airdrie. Which is quite like Udston. There is a "Grey Lady" haunts the buildings there too. Maybe she gets the 201/261 bus over to keep up her presence at both sites.

I live near Wester Moffat Hospital in Airdrie. Which is quite like Udston. There is a "Grey Lady" haunts the buildings there too. Maybe she gets the 201/261 bus over to keep up her presence at both sites.

Well, since the Burnbank one seems to be constant night shift these days, she would have to be day shift or back shift at Airdrie.

Well, since the Burnbank one seems to be constant night shift these days, she would have to be day shift or back shift at Airdrie.

No-one said it was easy being a ghost. The NHS probably outsource the haunting to Reliance (Rent a Ghost) Ltd or somebody.

Archived