Times Article On Glasgow East

Bloobell

This thread sums up so much that is wrong. First of all, Bloobell's title might as well have been "poor Catholics - lolz", since that's presumably what we're meant to feel. The working class used to have dignity - now they are "point and laugh" material, like some grotesque comedy charecters.

Secondly, people are more outraged about the article than the fact that people in Glasgow have such poor life statistics. Surely we should save our rage for the powers that be, the people who have let the living standards slip downwards (whilst the rest of the UK has improved).

I'd agree too - Nizzy seems to understand the article for what it is. Text without context is pretext - to read the article at face value misses the point, and who it is written for.

Are you new? :o The Grey Ghost has been doing this since nineteen eighty something or other

YES. Not an attack on the people in the East End of Glasgow, but the people in power who have let their life expectancy etc slip backwards so it's poorer than some "third world" countries.

The melted candles/ low clouds metaphors seem to be taken literally by some

Were hard drugs intoduce since May 1997?

Have you never heard of AA Gill before?

Of course it should have benefitted from Labour being in power! Otherwise, what's the point in these people voting Labour? What's the point in a Labour government if it's not to try and improve the life for people at the bottom of society? If the Tories come to power, they'll look after the upper/ middle class. If Labour get in, you'd expect them to try and help the poorest... (I thought you Economics lecturers understood? :P )

The hard drugs epidemic has become considerably worse since 1997.

Yes I have, and this article is spiteful like many of his articles. Needless to say I am not a fan of him.

People vote Labour because labour supposedly helps the working class, while this is traditionally true, it is no longer the case. New Labour is as right wing, if not more than the Conservative party. While people in Glasgow East vote for them 'because they always have' they cannot seriously expect help from the party that has changed as the needs of the country have changed.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you can't tell me what you find funny. Instead you post some drivel that has no relevance to either the question or the subject matter.

You're a bit like the dopey guy at school that laughs out 'Uhuhuhaha' randomly during lessons and everybody looks at him whilst thinking "What a fucking idiot".

Really?

You really do need to calm down and not take everything so literally

Find me someone in Glasgow who is starving, and I will accept they are in poverty

How come people in Glasgow have such short life expectancies when they are clearly all so well looked after? :rolleyes:

More than 50% of the world's population do not have adequate flooring.

Contratulations on missing the point ;)

The hard drugs epidemic has become considerably worse since 1997.

Yes I have, and this article is spiteful like many of his articles. Needless to say I am not a fan of him.

People vote Labour because labour supposedly helps the working class, while this is traditionally true, it is no longer the case. New Labour is as right wing, if not more than the Conservative party. While people in Glasgow East vote for them 'because they always have' they cannot seriously expect help from the party that has changed as the needs of the country have changed.

I think this may have been Mr Gill's point...

His Dad worked for the Scotsman and was a succesful film maker.

He studied at art school and become a jakey, his second wife was a Tory.

Had it all given to him and still ended up an alky.

Is he any better than the people he is talking about?

I would say no.

AAG_071207023249491_wideweb__300x375.jpg

Edit: Take a look at him ffs :lol:

I posted that earlier on, and he has the cheek to insult people's apperances :lol:

How come people in Glasgow have such short life expectancies when they are clearly all so well looked after? :rolleyes:

Contratulations on missing the point ;)

A combination of poor lifestyle choices, excess drug and alcohol consumption. If that was Mr. Gill's point then he has a shite way of putting it across.

Bullshit. You clearly stated in your first post on this thread that Gill was a woman. You didn't have a clue who he was until you stumbled across this topic.

I think this may have been Mr Gill's point...

Which I'm sure I said on page one. He's also completely missed the fact that Gill's having a pop at the Tories for heading in the same direction, i.e attempting to appeal to people who are not their traditional supporters.

If that was Mr. Gill's point then he has a shite way of putting it across.

No, you are incapable of understanding what he was saying. This has been pointed out to you on numerous occasions.

Bullshit. You clearly stated in your first post on this thread that Gill was a woman. You didn't have a clue who he was until you stumbled across this topic.

No I have read at least one of his times articles before, I thought it was a woman.

Which I'm sure I said on page one. He's also completely missed the fact that Gill's having a pop at the Tories for heading in the same direction, i.e attempting to appeal to people who are not their traditional supporters.

Show me when he done this.

lol, st miranda found out again

You're not far wrong there,the north of the city is far worse than the east.

That article has got to be the biggest crock of shit i've read in a while,obviously written by someone who has never stepped foot in Shettleston. And regarding the quote about people not reaching 100,i work for the housing and we've had 2 tenants in the last 3 month(from Shettleston)reach that landmark.

And here's me thinking the times was a reputable paper :rolleyes:

While the likes of Possil and Ruchill are among the worst places you could live in the country, I would much rather live in Springburn than say Haghill or Parkhead.

BTW Supras, yes these people are not living in conditions like some in Africa, but by our standards some of the conditions people live in, in parts of Glasgow are horrendous, unless of course you regard living in a house reeking of piss with single glazing windows, no central heating, the rest of your family are drug addicts and you eat corn flakes every night for your dinner as luxury, and that kind of stuff is extremely common, whether that surprises you or not.

Show me when he done this.
We drive off to find the Tory candidate, Davina Rankin, who sits in the back room of the Tory office, an abandoned shop.

She is young, local, black and a trade unionist, which is something of a coup for the Tories. And there’s more. She grew up in Gartnavel mental hospital where her parents were nurses.

Davina is utterly new Con, right on. She can tick boxes they haven’t even invented yet.

While the likes of Possil and Ruchill are among the worst places you could live in the country, I would much rather live in Springburn than say Haghill or Parkhead.

BTW Supras, yes these people are not living in conditions like some in Africa, but by our standards some of the conditions people live in, in parts of Glasgow are horrendous, unless of course you regard living in a house reeking of piss with single glazing windows, no central heating, the rest of your family are drug addicts and you eat corn flakes every night for your dinner as luxury, and that kind of stuff is extremely common, whether that surprises you or not.

It is true these people live in poor conditions for this country, however they are not in poverty in my opinion, the standard of their life is greater than the majority of people on earth.

No I have read at least one of his times articles before, I thought it was a woman.

But you've read 'many' of his articles. You're a liar, and a fucking idiot to boot.

they are not in poverty in my opinion, the standard of their life is greater than the majority of people on earth.

Context, son, context.

Archived