Official P&b Cycling Thread

I'm going to purchase a bike and start commuting to work in it along the canal, will a hybrid bike be my best option here? I will be using it throughout summer on all different types of paths and roads but mostly along the canal.

Also for those of you who do cycle to work, do you have a lot of cycling clothing? Strange question, but it's quite expensive by the looks of things and I don't know if i should be forking out hundreds of pounds on multiple outfits or not.

Make sure you have a bell for cycling along canal paths.

Saves a bit of hassle in my experience.

I'm going to purchase a bike and start commuting to work in it along the canal, will a hybrid bike be my best option here? I will be using it throughout summer on all different types of paths and roads but mostly along the canal.

Also for those of you who do cycle to work, do you have a lot of cycling clothing? Strange question, but it's quite expensive by the looks of things and I don't know if i should be forking out hundreds of pounds on multiple outfits or not.

I'd say a hybrid would be a good choice for your needs. I'm a cycling tramp who sees no need for the expensive stuff. A decent pair of cycle shorts for under £20 - tracky bottoms over them in winter. Cycle shirts with back pockets are good and can be had for £12 or so. A wind cheater over jacket and grippy gloves - sorted

My winter cycling attire is a cheapo Lidl/Aldi cycling jacket and tracksuit bottoms. In the tropical Highland summer I change to a t-shirt and tracksuit bottoms or even shorts if it's an especially balmy day.

Cheers guys. Need to arrange to keep some shirts and trousers in work or something and then i'll get started.

Sorry, but I disagree with most of the info you've been given here

I appreciate you maybe don't want to be lycra clad in head to toe, or look like a reject from the Tour d'e France, but I'd say buy the best gear you can for the money and try and get proper cycling stuff.

It doesn't need to be expensive and as SJB has said, some of the stuff from Lidl/ Aldi is good providing you aren't going to be doing long distances and the weather isn't too bad.

The one thing I'd strongly recommend is padded shorts/ longs which make a huge difference and avoid the numb-nut scenario

Decathlon has some decent gear for the money and you can buy to a budget

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-781259-cycling-clothing

The good thing about lycra , is that it also dries really quick, so if you get a bit wet on your way to work, chances are it'll be bone dry by the time you finish 

Sorry, but I disagree with most of the info you've been given here

I appreciate you maybe don't want to be lycra clad in head to toe, or look like a reject from the Tour d'e France, but I'd say buy the best gear you can for the money and try and get proper cycling stuff.

It doesn't need to be expensive and as SJB has said, some of the stuff from Lidl/ Aldi is good providing you aren't going to be doing long distances and the weather isn't too bad.

The one thing I'd strongly recommend is padded shorts/ longs which make a huge difference and avoid the numb-nut scenario

Decathlon has some decent gear for the money and you can buy to a budget

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-781259-cycling-clothing

The good thing about lycra , is that it also dries really quick, so if you get a bit wet on your way to work, chances are it'll be bone dry by the time you finish 

Thank you. Is this bike up to much or should I be looking elsewhere?

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-crossfire-2-mens-hybrid-bike-2015

I got that bike this time last year. £330 then! Did me very well over the summer and made it up to an average of about 50 miles over 3 rides a week and comfy too.

Been back out again last 6 weeks or so as weather permits, hoping for more. Damn sore after being out of action for 6 months though !! Hoping it eases off

Thank you. Is this bike up to much or should I be looking elsewhere?

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-crossfire-2-mens-hybrid-bike-2015

I cant really comment tbh, as not familiar with that bike. 

The advice I'd give is set your maximum budget, then find the best bike with best spec to match it

Eta

This for example is cheaper, but probably a better bike.

However, more of a mountain bike and chunkier than the Carrera

https://www.evanscycles.com/saracen-tufftrax-2015-mountain-bike-EV240059?country=GB&currency=GBP&source=criteo&medium=display&utm_source=Criteo&utm_medium=Display&utm_campaign=RON&utm_content=Product

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/product/review-saracen-tufftrax-mens-12-42031/

Edited by Unleash The Nade

Hopefully this will convince some of the non-believers to at least try wearing padded cycling shorts.

If you don't want to wear the tight fitting lycra ones, there are looser versions available and I can almost guarantee, once tried and you feel the difference, you'll never look back

http://easycycling.com/wear-padded-cycle-shorts-or-be-sore/

Hopefully this will convince some of the non-believers to at least try wearing padded cycling shorts.

If you don't want to wear the tight fitting lycra ones, there are looser versions available and I can almost guarantee, once tried and you feel the difference, you'll never look back

http://easycycling.com/wear-padded-cycle-shorts-or-be-sore/

Padded shorts are a must (for me anyway). I tend to use Aldi /Lidl stuff and it's fine in the main for what I do, although (again for me) I find the padding not always to be in the correct spot. :unsure:

I have looked into buying an 'expensive pair' but as yet I'm not overly convinced it will be worth it?

Halfords had some Altura shorts in one of their sales which In hindsight I should have bought, too late now though..

Any recommendations PnB..?

Padded shorts are a must (for me anyway). I tend to use Aldi /Lidl stuff and it's fine in the main for what I do, although (again for me) I find the padding not always to be in the correct spot. :unsure:

I have looked into buying an 'expensive pair' but as yet I'm not overly convinced it will be worth it?

Halfords had some Altura shorts in one of their sales which In hindsight I should have bought, too late now though..

The lower priced one tend have a basic, thin "foam" insert which imo offers better protection than nothing, but minimal.

The more expensive ones offer much thicker padding and also some gel-like options.

I have both types and have to say the more expensive ones are a world apart from the cheaper alternatives .

The other must if wearing the padded lycra shorts is no underwear, as tis reduces friction and causes less sweating, etc.

It really all depends on how much you value your bawz!     ;)

I only wear baggies but my last 3 pairs have been Gill (didn't like), Polaris (loved, but the elastic eventually went which meant anyone behind me saw much more of my arse than anyone wanted to) and Pearl Izumi (like a lot).

They don't have to be too expensive, I think the Polaris' were £25 in a sale, and the PIs I got from an Amazon third party vendor for about $30 when they retail $80. Chain Reaction have some sort of sale pretty much permanently, just read a few reviews on whatever model you're looking at to see how the sizing comes up to lessen your chances of ordering the wrong one - I'm a 33 waist, so I'm usually medium, so I'm always a little wary if they say sizing comes up big.

Thanks again guys. I'm still on the fence whether or not I am going to buy one and commute to work etc but I'm swaying towards it more and more each day.

My only advice would be DONT go to your local independent bike shop at the end of Falkirk High Street.as you'll get much better deals elsewhere

I've migrated to Santini for my shorts in recent years which have never let me down. I use to swear by Pearl Izumi which were fine too. I have found that once they get a bit worn the foam can get less user friendly. I've one old set that leave you with a totally numb cock which on occasions, like on a long ride, has been a bit frightening. I'd also advocate bib shorts, keeps the pad in exactly the right place.

The best bit of kit I've ever purchased are 'arms'. I tend to wear them all the time and push them down to bunch them on my wrists when warmed up - arms IMO are an essential bit of kit . Leggings are also virtually essential. Re dressing for cycling remember the old adage 'dress for the 5th mile' and you'll not go far wrong. Repeat it ad nauseam and you'll also sound a wise old sage (or a total bellend).

If I had the dosh I'd wear nothing but Castelli - but I don't (sad face).

Edited by Fifespud

Sorry to be an annoying c**t but if somebody could help me, it would be much appreciated!

I'm considering getting my bike through the Cycle to Work scheme. If i opt for £500 and spend £350 in Halfords, do I need to spend the remaining 150 in Halfords or can i spend it elsewhere (Decathlon for example)?

Sorry to be an annoying c**t but if somebody could help me, it would be much appreciated!

I'm considering getting my bike through the Cycle to Work scheme. If i opt for £500 and spend £350 in Halfords, do I need to spend the remaining 150 in Halfords or can i spend it elsewhere (Decathlon for example)?

With our system, cyclescheme.co.uk, it has to be spent in one retailer. If you're spending £500 on a bike don't spend it at Halfords have a look at Paul's cycles as they sell last year's models at big discounts.