Official P&b Cycling Thread

I'm no great fan of the MTB though, I've not got the bottle for the jumps and descents if I'm honest.

I love throwing myself around the woods in Fochabers or up at Glenlivet if I have a bit more time. Not brave enough to clip in though - think I'll keep my flat pedals on for that nonsense!

I love throwing myself around the woods in Fochabers or up at Glenlivet if I have a bit more time. Not brave enough to clip in though - think I'll keep my flat pedals on for that nonsense!

You might want to rephrase that first sentence ( titter)

I'm more into road biking but absolutely love going out in my mtb too when I can

I have mates who are really into it and most of them also don't like, or prefer to be clipped in , as many of the sharp, steep turns requires an inside foot down now and again.

I went down a red run at Glentress when clipped in and don't think I'd do it like that again !

Got this far and then you lost me.

Follow me on Strava if you want buddy, or I'm in the P+B club on there.

Will need to join this, plan on buying a new bike shortly and going out on the bike a bit more again.

ETA: How do you join "Clubs" on Strava? I can only search for individuals.

Edited by Ross.

Just starting to get in to this cycling malarky and went out for 2nd cycle in a week (2nd in over a yr and a half if im being honest) and looking for tips on the best way to build up stamina. Went from Ayr to Glasgow along the National route 7 today and was breathing out my arse for the 2nd half of it but was determined not to be defeated by it. Im using a Bordman hybrid if that makes any difference.

Just starting to get in to this cycling malarky and went out for 2nd cycle in a week (2nd in over a yr and a half if im being honest) and looking for tips on the best way to build up stamina. Went from Ayr to Glasgow along the National route 7 today and was breathing out my arse for the 2nd half of it but was determined not to be defeated by it. Im using a Bordman hybrid if that makes any difference.

I'd get out regularly and gradually build your distance up. I found entering an event (say Pedal for Scotland) challenged me and motivated me to get out.

Fantastic day for a bike run,never been in a club but got hitched up a with group out for spin this morning and couldn't believe the difference it makes when you're cycling in a group it was so much easier when your sitting behind other cyclists,kinda felt like cheating tbh could definitely go a lot further a lot easier.Need to join a club i think.

Has anyone used the bike fitting service at Spokes St Andrews or Kirkcaldy? Or know of any other bike fitting service in Fife?

I think I'd like to have a bike fit but not sure where to go, how much it costs, and if it's worthwhile.

Any advice?

Bumping this post. Just wondered if bike fits are worthwhile? Anyone had one?

Bumping this post. Just wondered if bike fits are worthwhile? Anyone had one?

I went to Hooked on Cycling in Bathgate -

http://www.hookedoncycling.eu/bike-fitting-service/

I was delighted with the results. It was pretty dramatic - seat up something like 3 inches. It's definitely made a difference. A lot of the guys I know have been there too and are happy also.

Cost about £65 - but if he recommends a new stem, say, it could be dearer.

He adjusted my cleats, and put a wee shim under one as one of my legs is like a quarter of an inch shorter than the other.

I don't like Spokes as a rule as they were forever criticising my Wiggle bought Focus MTB.

First club ride today since my crash

59 miles at 17.3 mph average over quite a lumpy route, so quite chuffed at that

Onwards and upwards

Good going mate. I'm planning to get out for a couple of tentative short rides over the weekend - first time since I broke my elbow.

Did a spin class at the weekend and it was OK. I'll not be chancing my road bike and cleats just yet though.

I'd get out regularly and gradually build your distance up. I found entering an event (say Pedal for Scotland) challenged me and motivated me to get out.

As Printer says, just go out as often as you can and increase distances.

Don't get hung up about how fast you can go though.

It's also a wee bit easy at times when out yourself to take to route which avoids most hills, don't , as this will not only limit your route options, but also make you more confident and stronger.

When you go out, always try and head out into a headwind, so when your a bit more tired coming back, at least you'll have a tailwind behind you. 

The most important thing in all of this, is enjoy it

Good going mate. I'm planning to get out for a couple of tentative short rides over the weekend - first time since I broke my elbow.

Did a spin class at the weekend and it was OK. I'll not be chancing my road bike and cleats just yet though.

Good luck with that.

You should still consider coming out with the club though ;)

I went to Hooked on Cycling in Bathgate -

http://www.hookedoncycling.eu/bike-fitting-service/

I was delighted with the results. It was pretty dramatic - seat up something like 3 inches. It's definitely made a difference. A lot of the guys I know have been there too and are happy also.

Cost about £65 - but if he recommends a new stem, say, it could be dearer.

He adjusted my cleats, and put a wee shim under one as one of my legs is like a quarter of an inch shorter than the other.

I don't like Spokes as a rule as they were forever criticising my Wiggle bought Focus MTB.

They're not really local to me, as I'm now in Glasgow but they're a great wee shop. Very knowledgeable and friendly folk with a great attitude to service.

what did you decide on?

I went to order the 2015 Giant Roam 2 but it seems to be out of stock everywhere now. I have the option of the 2016 model which is £150 dearer so I'm looking at other bikes just now and if I don't see anything I'll be going for that.

I went to order the 2015 Giant Roam 2 but it seems to be out of stock everywhere now. I have the option of the 2016 model which is £150 dearer so I'm looking at other bikes just now and if I don't see anything I'll be going for that.

I'm assuming you're an Extra Large Frame?

If not

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/285043/products/2015-giant-roam-1-hybrid-bike-black-red.aspx?origin=pla_with_promotion&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=CPTz4JH60csCFc0y0wodPmQEwg

Eta Ooppps just noticed its the Giant Roam 2 you're after

Edited by Unleash The Nade