Official P&b Cycling Thread

Aye, I was out for the first time since PFS today. Didn't really have a route in mind so I just pootled around for 30-odd miles. I'm not originally from this area so the backroads are a mystery to me and it's nice to sometimes take a turn "Just to see where it goes". To that end, I feel a wee bit limited on the road bike cos I'll not risk it on the rougher tracks.

Been given the green light by the wife to go for a winter bike,as an early,early Xmas present...YASS!!

TBH,after speaking to some of the guys in the club,I was daft selling my Secteur,but you live and learn.

I'm really determined to keep going out as much as I can in the Autumn & Winter months and want to keep my Cube in best nick as possible for next Summer season.

Want to get as good as I can for money I'm prepared to spend and looks like I might go for a Trek 1.1

Been given the green light by the wife to go for a winter bike,as an early,early Xmas present...YASS!!

TBH,after speaking to some of the guys in the club,I was daft selling my Secteur,but you live and learn.

I'm really determined to keep going out as much as I can in the Autumn & Winter months and want to keep my Cube in best nick as possible for next Summer season.

Want to get as good as I can for money I'm prepared to spend and looks like I might go for a Trek 1.1

Goodness me, and this is the man who was humming and hawing about even buying a road bike just a few short months ago :P

I'm making do with my MTB when the elements really close in. I might get a set of Crud Roadracers for the road bike and stick the Gatorskins on it, but the MTB will do me turn in the worst conditions, and I will also be able to commute off the main roads (in part), and this will be beneficial from a safety POV.

I can certainly see the point in getting a winter bike, and would consider this if I had access to the poppy. You'll get loads of good deals just now as the 2012 bikes are coming on stream, so 2011 and even 2010 bikes will be available with significant discounts.

I left my bleeding shoes at home. Got to work and realised I only had my cycling shoes to wear around.

Teach me for getting so drunk last night.

:lol:

I keep two pairs of dress shoes at work (and some breeks, a jacket, belt, toiletries etc...etc...).

I'm fortunate to have my own office so have plenty of room to keep plenty of stand-by bike kit here, too. I've got a wind-proof, and warmer, waterproof hi-viz jacket, and various other bits and pieces.

So....do you have cleats, and, if so, are you waddling about like a demented penguin? :P

I'm a pretty ancient guy who usually only posts on the Junior forum. But I became aware of this thread a few weeks ago and I can't tell you how much pleasure I get from reading the stuff on here, in particular your mention of The Flying Scot, and now the Curly ( I take it it's the Curly ?) Hetchins.

You see, way, way, back in the day , I did a fair amount of cycling and when I was sixteen my old man bought me an Andy McNeill. It was hand built in Langlands Rd., Govan and second hand cost the princely sum of £12 !

It came with Alp brakes(which I upgraded to Weinmann centre pull) Maes bends, and Conloy rims, and I covered quite a bit of the country on it. My pals, who had mostly Scots, and I would regularly pedal from Hamilton to Ayr, Largs or Loch Lomond at the weekends and I only ever pushed a 14 fixed gear.

Anyway, although it's a long time since I did any pedalling, each year at Tour time I threaten to get back on the bike.This year though, after reading all your posts, and after watching a smashing wee programme, London to Paris, about a group of mixed age/ability punters who do this charity run, I think I'll give it a go ! I have a relative who has an old Scot in his garage,and I'll see what I can do with it.

The clock's tickin down for me so it's now or never ! :D

Sorry to hog the thread guys but I'm getting kinda enthusiastic again ! Cheers !

PS. Just to make it clear that when I said,"I think I'll give it a go", I meant get back on the bike-----not pedal from London to Paris ! :lol:

The Flying Scot plan fell through so I'm now looking at the bike market, but when did bikes become so expensive ?? Some of the prices, from my point of view, are crazy !!

So, I'm going to look out for slightly older models and meantime I'm on a borrowed Giant mountain bike.

Onwards and upwards !! :P

It's been hell of a quiet on here recently. A sure sign that autumn has arrived?

I've been looking at various alternative commute routes for when the nights fully draw in, and the weather becomes even shittier.

Comfort and safety become the priorities over the autumn and winter seasons. The challange is to get on the bike in all but the very worst weather, and, as we've given up one of the cars and my wife has just secured a job out the area so will require the one we have left for her commute, I'd better get used to riding in all conditions. The alternative is the loser cruiser, and I'd prefer to keep my use of this transport option to a minimum. I was pretty consistent last year in all but the most hellish frozen tundra conditions we were subjected to.

So, who else regularly commutes to work/uni/college/school etc., and do you plan to keep using the bike over the autumn/winter, or will you be reverting back to the car or public transport options?

I'm pretty well prepared for the crap weather, have ordered a set of Crud Roadracers for the road bike, and fitted new disc brake pads on the MTB at the weekend (though a bit of tweaking is required there....). Hi-viz waterproofs; overshoes (a must!); waterproof trousers; roubaix bib-tights; several pairs of gloves; buffs for neck and face etc....etc.... I've been augmenting my stock of winter kit for a few weeks, now, so hopefully I'm just about prepared for the worst (well....perhaps not the very worst) that a Scottish winter can throw at me.

How about the rest of you?

Edited by Drooper

It's been hell of a quiet on here recently. A sure sign that autumn has arrived?

I've been looking at various alternative commute routes for when the nights fully draw in, and the weather becomes even shittier.

Comfort and safety become the priorities over the autumn and winter seasons. The challange is to get on the bike in all but the very worst weather, and, as we've given up one of the cars and my wife has just secured a job out the area so will require the one we have left for her commute, I'd better get used to riding in all conditions. The alternative is the loser cruiser, and I'd prefer to keep my use of this transport option to a minimum. I was pretty consistent last year in all but the most hellish frozen tundra conditions we were subjected to.

So, who else regularly commutes to work/uni/college/school etc., and do you plan to keep using the bike over the autumn/winter, or will you be reverting back to the car or public transport options?

I'm pretty well prepared for the crap weather, have ordered a set of Crud Roadracers for the road bike, and fitted new disc brake pads on the MTB at the weekend (though a bit of tweaking is required there....). Hi-viz waterproofs; overshoes (a must!); waterproof trousers; roubaix bib-tights; several pairs of gloves; buffs for neck and face etc....etc.... I've been augmenting my stock of winter kit for a few weeks, now, so hopefully I'm just about prepared for the worst (well....perhaps not the very worst) that a Scottish winter can throw at me.

How about the rest of you?

Hi Drooper

I dont commute to work,but think I'm pretty well prepared for the shitty weather arriving as determined to still go out as much as I can.

Was out with the club the other night and did 28 miles,finnishing at 8pm,by which time it was pretty dark.

As well as having good lights on the bikes,some of the guys had the flashing armbands,which are good,as indicates your"width" to drivers as well and I think they're pretty chep to buy.

As coincidence would have it,I'm just about to go and look at a Trek 1.1 2011 in a local shop who's going to give me a good deal,as decided I want a winter road bike to still go out club runs and preserve my Cube.

I'll let you know if I take the plunge

Hi Drooper

I dont commute to work,but think I'm pretty well prepared for the shitty weather arriving as determined to still go out as much as I can.

Was out with the club the other night and did 28 miles,finnishing at 8pm,by which time it was pretty dark.

As well as having good lights on the bikes,some of the guys had the flashing armbands,which are good,as indicates your"width" to drivers as well and I think they're pretty chep to buy.

As coincidence would have it,I'm just about to go and look at a Trek 1.1 2011 in a local shop who's going to give me a good deal,as decided I want a winter road bike to still go out club runs and preserve my Cube.

I'll let you know if I take the plunge

Aye, the flashing LED armbands are good. I've got 4 of them - cheap as chips from Aldi.

I've already fitted my 'safety' lights to the Cube, and have a ridiculously bright Magicshine front light when I'll need it to see where I'm going. If I'm being honest, I would proabably find it hard to motivate myself to get out during the winter if I wasn't commuting. This might well be where membership in a club comes into its own.

I'll be cycling to uni as im at an out-of town campus this year and the free shuttle bus that goes from central edinburgh to kings buildings is always ridiculously overcrowded. If you want on (note that's 'on', not 'a seat') on a cold or wet day, you have to turn up at the bus stop and start queuing up to half an hour before the bus is due. With that in mind, ill either be walking or taking my bike.

Riccarton? Where do you stay?

I only use the hybrid for my commute to Edinburgh from october onwards. It has full mguards and the entire drivetrain can be changed for £50. Will also try and wash the bike at least fortnightly. Fun times!!

A hybrid sems like thte best compromise right enough.

I lock out the shocks on my hardtail MTB and stick mudguards on it, but it is a brute compared to the road bike. I'll fit some Schwalbe Marathons and opt for the shortest route, so it will have to do.

I dunno. I cycle for pleasure and to keep fit, but I struggle to find the pleasure in fighting an Arctic wind so I'm not sure how much I'll be out this Winter.

I have to say that when I can't use the bike for even a few days now, I actually think I get a bit depressed. In all seriousness.

I've noticed this pattern emerging over the course of 18 months or so, and it cannot be based on coincidence.

I'm a strong believer in the theory that being (and staying) physically fit enhances your mental health - I can't see past this, in fact.