Official P&b Cycling Thread

Got just under 25 miles today. Nice bike Drooper stealth or not stealth still not a fan of mudguards lol looks ok though.

I'm not a fan either, mate, but needs must. I use the bike to commute, and while I'll use the MTB in the worst weather, the mudguards give me (and the bike) a bit of protection. The raceguards provide good protection for the front mech and chaiset, as well as my backside. They'll do me a turn, and are light as a feather.

Just in after a 54 mile 2 bridges run - totally knacked. Don't know what's wrong, I had no energy and was barely crawling along at times.

Off to find a cool corner to curl up & die in.

We all get days like this. The main thing is not to let it scunner you.

I had a near miss with a motorist this morning. The clown pulled left out of a junction almost directly in front of me despite the fact that I was travelling along the road at 28mph and didn't accelerate away with the consequence that I actually had to pull into a bus stop bay in order to avoid running into the back of him (it was too dangerous for me to come to a halt on the road as there were cars close behind). He would never have attempted this manoeuvre if I had been a motor vehicle yet it was as if I wasn't there - I had my hi-viz jacket on, it was in broad daylight and he'd obviously seen me as I could tell that he was thinking about it before pulling out.

I caught him at the next set of lights and, aherm...gave him a piece of my mind :whistle

Just in after a 54 mile 2 bridges run - totally knacked. Don't know what's wrong, I had no energy and was barely crawling along at times.

Off to find a cool corner to curl up & die in.

You'll find you have days like this every month or so.

It's called your menstrual cycle :ph34r:

I'm in London just now, and there's an unbelievable number of cyclists. But what's more, they're all bloody suicidal; it would take a lot of cash for me to even think about cycling on some of the roads here!

I also love the bike hire stations; fancy cycling home? No problem, just touch your Oyster card, take a bike and drop it off near your home. Brilliant idea.

Just ordered a new pair of slick tyres for the MTB to replace the semi-slicks currently on it.

My initial plan was to buy a set of Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, but at £50+ per pair, I've decided to opt for a cheaper alternative in Schwalbe City Jets. £18.75 for the pair with free postage from Rutland Cycling (who I've used a fair bit recently as they offer some cracking deals from time to time). The City Jets won't be on a par with the bomb-proof Marathons, but I'll only be using the bike for commuting so I'll take my chances.

I've decided that I won't be using the road bike after the first lot of salt is spread on the roads. Talking about salt, I was in Homebase yesterday (aye, I like living on the wild side at the weekends....), and they were selling bags of salt for the driveway/paths. Pretty small bags, BTW, but they were eight and a half quid, FFS!

I've taken the coming week off work to do a bit of decorating, but I'm hoping for at least one decent day to get out on the road bike for a few hours. Fingers crossed....

I'm in London just now, and there's an unbelievable number of cyclists. But what's more, they're all bloody suicidal; it would take a lot of cash for me to even think about cycling on some of the roads here!

You get used to it pretty quickly. Its the bleeding pedestrians that scare me the most. Around the city and that they just walking into the road without looking with their headphones on. They appear out of nowhere.

Most of the traffic is very used to cyclists so they tend to be a lot more aware and generally check the left side mirrors and things like that than up the road.

Besides the traffic in central London is rarely moving fast enough to do any damage if it did hit you. :D

Edited by dorlomin

Just ordered a new pair of slick tyres for the MTB to replace the semi-slicks currently on it.

My initial plan was to buy a set of Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, but at £50+ per pair, I've decided to opt for a cheaper alternative in Schwalbe City Jets. £18.75 for the pair with free postage from Rutland Cycling (who I've used a fair bit recently as they offer some cracking deals from time to time). The City Jets won't be on a par with the bomb-proof Marathons, but I'll only be using the bike for commuting so I'll take my chances.

I've decided that I won't be using the road bike after the first lot of salt is spread on the roads. Talking about salt, I was in Homebase yesterday (aye, I like living on the wild side at the weekends....), and they were selling bags of salt for the driveway/paths. Pretty small bags, BTW, but they were eight and a half quid, FFS!

I've taken the coming week off work to do a bit of decorating, but I'm hoping for at least one decent day to get out on the road bike for a few hours. Fingers crossed....

Fun fun fun all the way with you!!:lol:

Got home early from work last night and went out on my hybrid,cycling up and around Carron bridge in a 20 mile loop.

It probably wasn't one of my best ideas,as a) it was blowing a hooley b)I was against the wind and mainly uphill all the way for the first 11 miles c) I forgot how heavy the hybrid is compared to my road bike!

Anyway,decided to go anyway,as thought it would be a good idea to build up some fitness,as I knew it would be petty hard going.

Bloody understatement of the year,as I had seriously unerestimated just how strong the wind was.

I think I managed to average around 12 mph for the first 10 or 11 miles and even when going downhill,the wind was so strong,it was a struggle at times.

On the plus side however,managed to get up to just over 40 mph going don a long descent,with the wind at my back,before I bottled it.

Hopefully out on the roadbike with the club tonight :)

Good prog on Eurosport 2 at 8.25 tonight that shoud be of interest to some of you hill climbing cyclists....it's called Alpine Challenge, and is an amateur cycling event that includes three mountain climbs.

Cheers for that :) ,will definetly watch this and try and pick up some tips

Good prog on Eurosport 2 at 8.25 tonight that shoud be of interest to some of you hill climbing cyclists....it's called Alpine Challenge, and is an amateur cycling event that includes three mountain climbs.

Cheers for that :) ,will definetly watch this and try and pick up some tips

Are you sure about this programme Chuckles?

Just checked Eurosport schedule and no mention of this Link

Are you sure about this programme Chuckles?

Just checked Eurosport schedule and no mention of this Link

I'm double checking right now and, according to the Virgin TV Guide, BMX Supercross World Cup is followed by Cycling ( Alpine Challenge)20.25 til 20.55 then Eurosport 2 News, at 20.55.