Official P&b Cycling Thread

Some other cyclists don't half get on my nerves.

This morning, I was stopped at the front of a set of traffic lights waiting to make a left turn (traffic control in this area is great; it usually means that because of the direction I come from, I end up at the front of the queue, but I digress...). I knew the lights were about to change, because the pedestrian crossings all went red. And then what happens? Some stupid b*****d on a road bike comes up inside me, mounts the pavement and starts off round the corner.

I knew exactly what he was about to do next, but I was damned if I was giving way; so I proceeded round the corner, only for him to come back onto the road without so much as a glance to his right. Of course, I wasn't so stupid as to not be prepared to avoid him, so did. But he got a mouthful of abuse as I sailed past him.

----

Edited several hours later because I realised I put "right" instead of "left"; the former makes bugger all sense in the context...

Edited by The Master

Some other cyclists don't half get on my nerves.

This morning, I was stopped at the front of a set of traffic lights waiting to make a right turn (traffic control in this area is great; it usually means that because of the direction I come from, I end up at the front of the queue, but I digress...). I knew the lights were about to change, because the pedestrian crossings all went red. And then what happens? Some stupid b*****d on a road bike comes up inside me, mounts the pavement and starts off round the corner.

I knew exactly what he was about to do next, but I was damned if I was giving way; so I proceeded round the corner, only for him to come back onto the road without so much as a glance to his right. Of course, I wasn't so stupid as to not be prepared to avoid him, so did. But he got a mouthful of abuse as I sailed past him.

Some cyclists are their own worst enemy at times! Infact you often get those who make more danger for themselves than normal. If you've seen some of the youtube videos they are some crazy cyclists.

I cringe when I see people going up the inside of trucks and buses at traffic lights. Seriously not a good idea!

Some cyclists are their own worst enemy at times! Infact you often get those who make more danger for themselves than normal. If you've seen some of the youtube videos they are some crazy cyclists.

I cringe when I see people going up the inside of trucks and buses at traffic lights. Seriously not a good idea!

Have to agree.

I never undertake,as a recipe for dissaster.

I'm also amazed at the amount of cyclist going around wearing i pods etc,totally oblivious of whats going on around them.

I also think the wearing of a cycling helmet should be made compulsory

Have to agree.

I never undertake,as a recipe for dissaster.

I'm also amazed at the amount of cyclist going around wearing i pods etc,totally oblivious of whats going on around them.

Yeah i'm with you on the helmet espically on the work run. I mean i cycle through st.james round about in paisley and for those who know it will know its mega busy and every day and night so old tosser just causes havoc by cycling up the inside and moving to the outside no helmet or anything.

PS i hate this weather had all the gear ready to rumble this morning only to look out and see the wind blowing like mad. I'm missing being out and about on the bike

Yeah i'm with you on the helmet espically on the work run. I mean i cycle through st.james round about in paisley and for those who know it will know its mega busy and every day and night so old tosser just causes havoc by cycling up the inside and moving to the outside no helmet or anything.

PS i hate this weather had all the gear ready to rumble this morning only to look out and see the wind blowing like mad. I'm missing being out and about on the bike

I've decided to not let the wind stop me.

Only if it's utterly insane (trees falling, flying wheely bins...that kind of thing) will I opt for the bus instead.

That is where the cycle lanes goes. If there is no cycle lane I will normally take on the outside to get to the ASL (advanced stop line). That said I do cycle in a city where their is pretty high cycle awareness.

Unleash the nade

Some pictures of how they cycle in Holland

http://www.ski-epic.com/amsterdam_bicycles/

Copenhagen rush hour

Cycling safety is far more about numbers. It can be inherently a very safe thing to do when the drivers are aware of you. Id never say to people do not wear a helmet but I would be very strongly against making it compulsory. Compulsory helmets means fewer people take up cycling.

Others will have their own views on the topic.

Having cycled less than 100 miles in the Giant Defy 3 I bought as a winter bike,I noticed a slight knocking feeling coming from the bottom bracket area a few night sago.

I've just had it back to the shop I bought it from and they've dscovered a problem with the chainset mechanism :(

They contacted Giant,who say that mech is now discontinued,but have authorised them to put a new complete higher spec Shimano mech on as a FOC replacement.

Tbh a bit pissed off with all the hassle, but at the end of the day,I'll end up with better components. :)

One benefit of dealing with a local independant shop instead of buyng off website I suppose.

Also had to return my Endura Stealth jacket as got its first real test the other night and much to my surprise,I ended up wet .

Shop found it hard to accept,as the first return they'd had in 5 years of selling them,but when they tested it,admitted it was faulty.

In order to get replacement for planned weekend outing,I took it back to Endura in Livingston,who also tested it as complaints on these were virtually nil and confirmed membrane was faulty,so got FOC replacement................................Luck white heather anyone???

Giant still rideable until new parts come in and was planning to go out tonight,but weather looks absolute shite

Having cycled less than 100 miles in the Giant Defy 3 I bought as a winter bike,I noticed a slight knocking feeling coming from the bottom bracket area a few night sago.

I've just had it back to the shop I bought it from and they've dscovered a problem with the chainset mechanism :(

They contacted Giant,who say that mech is now discontinued,but have authorised them to put a new complete higher spec Shimano mech on as a FOC replacement.

Tbh a bit pissed off with all the hassle, but at the end of the day,I'll end up with better components. :)

One benefit of dealing with a local independant shop instead of buyng off website I suppose.

Giant still rideable until new parts come in and was planning to go out tonight,but weather looks absolute shite

Well I went out last night and nearly fucking killed myself!

The first half decent climb we did,my complete mech slipped badly,causing me to swerve and just thankfully avoided an oncoming a car.

I've just been back to the shop with the bike and otld the owner I'd lost total confidence in it and instead of getting it fixed,demanded a full refund.

Money now back on card and off to Dales tommorow for a Specialized Allez

Bump!

Really starting to notice the cold on the morning commute now. Just a wee bit of wind bites at my face. I normally wear fingerless gloves, more to prevent blisters than anything, but I've bought a pair of full ones after it felt like my fingers were away to fall off on Friday last week :lol:

Perversely, though, I'm enjoying the not-so-good weather more than the hot weather in the summer months.

Edited by The Master

Bump!

Really starting to notice the cold on the morning commute now. Just a wee bit of wind bites at my face. I normally wear fingerless gloves, more to prevent blisters than anything, but I've bought a pair of full ones after it felt like my fingers were away to fall off on Friday last week :lol:

Perversely, though, I'm enjoying the not-so-good weather more than the hot weather in the summer months.

Aye, I've got my fleecy bib tights on standby, and a couple of cosy L/S base layers, so I'm ready for anything :D

Nah, I'm just not getting it. I ride for the fun of it and to keep fit. There's no fun in getting blown all over the road, soaked and/or frozen to the bone. If I were commuting - maybe. For fitness, I'm thinking of heading back to the gym for the winter. I'll take the bike out on those cold, crisp, dry days of winter perhaps.

Nah, I'm just not getting it. I ride for the fun of it and to keep fit. There's no fun in getting blown all over the road, soaked and/or frozen to the bone. If I were commuting - maybe. For fitness, I'm thinking of heading back to the gym for the winter. I'll take the bike out on those cold, crisp, dry days of winter perhaps.

I despise the gym.

Perspiring middle-aged men clad in lycra?

....oh, wait a minute :unsure:

I commute by bike, but had the car this morning as I was attending a meeting in Livingston. Every time I take the car, I wish I was on the bike - even in less than clement weather.

As I've said before on here, my mood improves when using the bike regularly, regardless of the weather. There's a bit of me relishes the challenge of taking on the elements.

I genuinely cannot take to the gym at all. All that effort yet going nowhere seems a bit soul-destroying. I used to run in shite weather, and would still rather do this than go to the gym even though my knees aren't really up to it any longer.

Compulsory helmets means fewer people take up cycling.

Others will have their own views on the topic.

I've never been convinced by this argument.

Safer roads and more cycling specific amenities would encourage many, many more people to take up the activity than compulsory helmet wearing would discourage, IMO.

I've heard of, and read, far too many stories of a helmet saving a cyclist from very serious injury or even death, to suggest anything other than there being an extremely sound argument for making helmets compulsory.

Aside from the fact that I always wear a lid because I think it is the right thing to do, I also reckon I owe it to my wife, kids, and wider circle of family and friends to do everything I can to mitigate against coming a cropper when out on the bike. Seems like a no-brainer (no pun intended) to me.

Edited by Drooper

Oddly, I quite like cycling in the rain, so long as I can dry off once I get to the office/home. Which I can, so all is good.

Speaking of which, I went out on Saturday to test the waterproofness* of my new jacket and it passed. But one thing I noticed was the wind and some spots of rain getting in my eyes; does anyone here wear cycling glasses? If so, what are they like? Is it better needing to wipe them every couple of minutes than getting rain in your eyes?

*If that isn't a word, it should be. That, or waterproofability.

Edited by The Master

Oddly, I quite like cycling in the rain, so long as I can dry off once I get to the office/home. Which I can, so all is good.

Speaking of which, I went out on Saturday to test the waterproofness* of my new jacket and it passed. But one thing I noticed was the wind and some spots of rain getting in my eyes; does anyone here wear cycling glasses? If so, what are they like? Is it better needing to wipe them every couple of minutes than getting rain in your eyes?

*If that isn't a word, it should be. That, or waterproofability.

To be honest Master,I never go out on my bike without wearing cycling glasses.

They can protect your eyes from insects and stones thrown up by passing cars (its amazing how many times this happens),which can both be bloody painfull .They also stop your eyes watering in blustier conditions

When in heavy rain,yes it can sometimes be a wee bit of a pest if you have to clean them,but if you're going at a decent speed,you'll find they more or less self clean.

What I would recommend is getting a pair with interchangeable lenses,which are shades (obviously for sunlight) yellow (which enhance the light in dull conditions ) and clear,then you'll have something for all conditions.

I got a good deal out of Halfords for Bloc ones