Official P&b Cycling Thread

Nah, I'm just not getting it. I ride for the fun of it and to keep fit. There's no fun in getting blown all over the road, soaked and/or frozen to the bone. If I were commuting - maybe. For fitness, I'm thinking of heading back to the gym for the winter. I'll take the bike out on those cold, crisp, dry days of winter perhaps.

Ah come on NBB,man up for fucksake :P

Granted,the wind can be a bit of a bugger and dangerous at times,but cycling in the rain is brilliant fun.

Once you can go fast enough,you'll no even notice the cold ;)

Edited by Unleash The Nade

BTW, did anyone get any of the under armour type stuff from Aldi when they were on sale?

I got bought a set but not been out with them on yet so not sure if they will be any good. If not, not really too much of a waste of money at £8 each!!:rolleyes:

The thing about helmets is they trap flying, stinging beasties in them. They also don't stop the sweat from running into your eyes, stinging like a stingy thing. If I could wear a baseball cap & a helmet it might be ok.

Had a look in Aldis and didn't see anything startling to be honest. sad.gif

BTW, did anyone get any of the under armour type stuff from Aldi when they were on sale?

I got bought a set but not been out with them on yet so not sure if they will be any good. If not, not really too much of a waste of money at £8 each!!:rolleyes:

Had a look in Aldis and didn't see anything startling to be honest. sad.gif

I had a look in Aldi, too, but didn't see anything worth buying. I'd already bought a couple of their L/S compression baselayers a few weeks back (not cycling-specific, but I can hardly see that this would make any difference). I have to say that they are pretty damn effective. Warm, pretty good at whicking sweat, and a good tight fit.

The 'winter' gloves are pretty good if you make sure they fit while in the shop, but aren't so effective when the temperatures really plummet. I bought a decent L/S jersey last year, and it has lasted well, and does a job on the commute.

I've already got good quality arm, knee, and leg-warmers, so didn't bother with these. I can't recommend these bits of kit enough. They allow you to use your S/S tops and shorts all year round, and allow for temperature regulation in autumn and spring.

I wore my new dbh roubaix bib tights this morning for the first time. Very pleased with the fit and quality - difficult to fault for the £40 I paid for them.

Help! After the PfS ride I had to get my hub replaced under warranty cos it was shot. The shop fixed it promptly and with no fuss, but when I was wheeling the bike to the car I thought the hub looked a little odd, but couldn't quite place what was wrong.

I've just been out on it and spotted that the inner sleeve (arrowed in the pic below) was unscrewing itself and the whole spindle was shoogling by an alarming amount.

hub.jpg

Should there be a cover over the bearings to prevent dirt & grit getting in?

The other pic shows how the entire hub is generating about 4mm movement at the freewheel.

mech.jpg

Should this go back to the shop?

Help! After the PfS ride I had to get my hub replaced under warranty cos it was shot. The shop fixed it promptly and with no fuss, but when I was wheeling the bike to the car I thought the hub looked a little odd, but couldn't quite place what was wrong.

I've just been out on it and spotted that the inner sleeve (arrowed in the pic below) was unscrewing itself and the whole spindle was shoogling by an alarming amount.

hub.jpg

Should there be a cover over the bearings to prevent dirt & grit getting in?

The other pic shows how the entire hub is generating about 4mm movement at the freewheel.

mech.jpg

Should this go back to the shop?

I can't access the photos just now, but if in any doubt, get the shop to check it out.

Thanks for the replies about glasses; now duly bought.

Another question for the day -- cycle-commuting: backpack or pannier?

Ideally?

Neither.

If at all possible, organise to have all the kit you require for the week at work, ready for you when you arrive. I organise all the work clothing I need and drop it off at the beginning of the week or even at the weekend (my office is open with a skeleton staff over the weekend). I appreciate that this isn't always an option, but if you don't commute every day, you could always drop the stuff off on the day that you have the car or take the bus etc.

I have a couple of pairs of trousers in the office. Likewise shoes. That way, I'm only dropping off shirts and underwear.

When I do occasionally have to take a bag on my back, I'll put enough working kit for 2 or 3 days in it so I have to use the bag less often. It's worth the extra weight on one journey for the benefit of a bag free ride over the next few days.

Panniers seem like a good idea, but I very seldom see anyone actually using them once fitted. A guy at work who occasionally commutes by bike fitted a rack to his bike but always uses a backpack in any event :blink:

Buy a good cycle specific backpack (mine is a Vaude Splash Air 20+5) and it should be fine for occasional use, with supportive straps, good weight distribution, and reasonable venting.

Edited by Drooper

I've been going to spinning to keep my legs going, its a good work out and I must be the sweatiest person in the class! I have to take in a towel to keep my handle bars dry and to wipe the sweat off of the person next to me when it flys over them :L It will keep me fit over the winter and I will keep getting out on the bike on nice days.

That was brutal this morning. Funny how a swirling wind never seems to make it to behind me - always at the sides or head <_<

And yet another b*****d who thinks advanced stop lines are for motorists. A taxi driver this time, who then tried to intimidate me by revving up after I'd pulled in front of them; I got the last laugh by being able to pass the stream of traffic that greeted us both when we turned left.

That was brutal this morning. Funny how a swirling wind never seems to make it to behind me - always at the sides or head <_<

And yet another b*****d who thinks advanced stop lines are for motorists. A taxi driver this time, who then tried to intimidate me by revving up after I'd pulled in front of them; I got the last laugh by being able to pass the stream of traffic that greeted us both when we turned left.

I came on to post about a hellish commute this morning, too.

I had set the MTB up for the commute with new tyres, rear brake pads, lights etc...etc...

As it was, it was blowing a gale and chucking it down, but the weather wasn't the worst of it. I had to bail out at temporary traffic lights as I was struggling to re-acquaint myself with MTB SPD pedals after using the road bike since the Spring and my bottle crashed when sitting at the front of the traffic queue. Meanwhile, my rear brake continues to shudder and scream despite the new pads - it still functions, but is pretty disconcerting.

All-in-all, that was no fun at all, but I'll put it down to a bad day getting into the office! I suppose we need to accept that we'll get these, and not let them scunner us entirely. I need to get used to using the MTB again, and reckon this will come after a few days, so it'll be head down and a stoical smile until then.... <_<

I keep meaning to go back to fixing up my MTB for days like this, but I've struggled to find the time. I'm almost tempted to buy a cheap-ish one from Asda or Tesco just to see me through the winter months - £70 a year or thereabouts isn't that bad for a bike that is, essentially, disposable.

My only concern is, like you, getting used to it. Even the initial set-off would be surreal: when I tested out my battered MTB during the summer, it was like I was on a tractor :lol:

I keep meaning to go back to fixing up my MTB for days like this, but I've struggled to find the time. I'm almost tempted to buy a cheap-ish one from Asda or Tesco just to see me through the winter months - £70 a year or thereabouts isn't that bad for a bike that is, essentially, disposable.

My only concern is, like you, getting used to it. Even the initial set-off would be surreal: when I tested out my battered MTB during the summer, it was like I was on a tractor :lol:

If I can sort this problem with the brakes out, my bike should be fine.

It's a decent quality MTB, and has solid, reliable components. The issue lies with me adapting to it once more having used the road bike for so many months. It didn't help that I used it for the first time in quite a while on a pishy wet Monday morning. It's hard to believe that I was struggling with the SPDs after years of using them without giving it a second thought.

FFS, they are double-sided while the SPD-SL road bike pedals aren't, yet I was still struggling to engage the cleats. I should've taken the bike for a hurl at the weekend, rather than re-launching it on a miserable Monday morning commute. That's one lesson learned, and I'd suggest that others take heed.

If I were you I'd tart up you MTB rather than spend the money on a BSO (bike-shaped object) from the supermarket. I put Shwalbe City Jet tyres (1.50) on the bike - only £18.75 inc. delivery - and they seem fine, and certainly give less rolling-resistance than other MTB tyres. I paid 12 quid for a cracking rear light from Highon Bikes, and I reckon the Magicshine front lamp I bought earlier this year was salvaged from a lighthouse somewhere! Sure, the bike is heavier than the road bike, but its also more durable and done me a turn in the past. I'd guess your old tractor would have another year of service in it at least?

Edited by Drooper

Um...my current MTB is a BSO from Tesco :ph34r::lol:

In my defence, though, I bought it 8 years ago when I was 16 (and embarrassingly I've only grown half an inch in that time so I still fit it). It's the brakes and gears that are a bit dodgy, and although I know what to do with the former, the latter are disc brakes and I haven't a clue where to start with fixing them.