Official P&b Cycling Thread

What's the point of advisory cycle lanes?

I just went for a wee ride to Monifieth and back, taking the coast path there and the normal roads back. One of the roads has such a path, but has cars parked in it at irregular intervals. Normally I'd just stay in the primary position when I know there's more cars to come, but when there's a lane marked at the side of the road, motorists think I should be using it and get a bit more irate than normal.

So really, unless someone can give a valid reason for having these lanes, I'd rather they just got rid of them.

That's a good point.

Cars parked on cycle lanes actually present more of a hazard than not having the lane at all. We have to make an evasive maneuver that involves arcing out into the line of traffic, and I can understand why motorists who don't also cycle wouldn't necessarily anticipate this. It's dodgy enough having to pass parked vehicles when there is no cycle lane, but at least other road users won't assume you'll be sticking to a certain designated area of the road.

That's a good point.

Cars parked on cycle lanes actually present more of a hazard than not having the lane at all. We have to make an evasive maneuver that involves arcing out into the line of traffic, and I can understand why motorists who don't also cycle wouldn't necessarily anticipate this. It's dodgy enough having to pass parked vehicles when there is no cycle lane, but at least other road users won't assume you'll be sticking to a certain designated area of the road.

Majority of them are token provision, but aren't wide enough. The one down near Glasgow airport varies in width, and gets so narrow at one point you'd be scraping the bushes to keep in it.

Worst are narrow ones right next to parked cars. You get forced into it by other traffic but if someone opened the door you'd be a gonner.

I've been riding a 'courtesy' bike to work this week. My LBS ordered the wrong bottom bracket and had to order up the correct part - which is setting me back a whopping £50 + another 20 quid for fitting....gulp :( - so they gave me Genesis Core MTB as a loan meantime.

I have to say, I'm quite impressed with the Genesis. They make nice, steel-framed road & cross bikes, and I've always harboured a wee desire for the latter, but this MTB is quite impressive for the retail £649. It is probably on a par with my own MTB, but my trusty steed is becoming a bit tired now.

I'm starting to enjoy using the MTB again. There is a lot to be said for being able to chuck a bike at any road surface you encouter with a rash disregard.

I've been keeping up the cycling was a bit worried with the dark nights comming so i'm glad i took the decision not to upgrade from the Hybrid to the Road bike just yet. Seems to be handlng this weather very well so far. Lets hope i can keep it up as long as possible

I've been keeping up the cycling was a bit worried with the dark nights comming so i'm glad i took the decision not to upgrade from the Hybrid to the Road bike just yet. Seems to be handlng this weather very well so far. Lets hope i can keep it up as long as possible

You are quite right to leave upgrading the bike until after the winter. You'll enjoy it much more come the spring :D

Yeah thats the plan Drooper i've also been looking at Spin classes or buying a turbo trainer. As when it gets really cold i dont want to get it up completely as i did last year :( But the thought of going to gym just bores me to tears

Yup, I find the gym hideously tedious.

I'll be riding as often as I can, but it is a thought in the deep mid-winter. I can't see myself ever using a gym again, TBH. All that effort but going nowhere doesn't appeal to me.

Hibernation might be the answer :unsure:

Stupidly I agreed to drive the Missus and teen Daughter to Glasgow this coming Saturday (even although we are at home against Brechin), so I was wondering where I could go to kill some time and view some bikes and bike related goodies.

I've already noted the comments regarding the Decathlon store and will probably visit that, but any other suggestions would be welcome.

Window shopping only though.......... Cash is in short supply these days :(

Stupidly I agreed to drive the Missus and teen Daughter to Glasgow this coming Saturday (even although we are at home against Brechin), so I was wondering where I could go to kill some time and view some bikes and bike related goodies.

I've already noted the comments regarding the Decathlon store and will probably visit that, but any other suggestions would be welcome.

Window shopping only though.......... Cash is in short supply these days :(

Dales on Dobbies Loan and Evans at Braehead are the two big outlets.

The smaller shops probably don't afford quite the same opportunity for slavering over shiny beasties but I know there are a few scattered throughout the city.

I came off the bike en route to work this morning. I was off the road and turning into an under-pass when the back wheel skittered away from under me and, before I could disengage from the SPDs, I came down on my knee....my dodgy knee.

It was a hell of a clatter, and my knee was pretty badly bloodied (requiring some TLC from a couple of nurses in the office :) ), but it is the impact that will be the lasting problem. I sat with an ice-pack on my knee, but it will sieze up overnight, so I'm worried about how long it will take to shake this off. Thoroughly scunnered about this.

I think the knobbly tyres on my 'courtesy' bike contributed to the spill. They really are shit for tarmac :(

Edited by Drooper

Dales on Dobbies Loan and Evans at Braehead are the two big outlets.

The smaller shops probably don't afford quite the same opportunity for slavering over shiny beasties but I know there are a few scattered throughout the city.

I came off the bike en route to work this morning. I was off the road and turning into an under-pass when the back wheel skittered away from under me and, before I could disengage from the SPDs, I came down on my knee....my dodgy knee.

It was a hell of a clatter, and my knee was pretty badly bloodied (requiring some TLC from a couple of nurses in the office :) ), but it is the impact that will be the lasting problem. I sat with an ice-pack on my knee, but it will sieze up overnight, so I'm worried about how long it will take to shake this off. Thoroughly scunnered about this.

I think the knobbly tyres on my 'courtesy' bike contributed to the spill. They really are shit for tarmac :(

Hope your fit and well soon and you dont stiffen up too much overnight ;) .....Mind you,with a name like Drooper!!:lol:

It's an age thing Drooper.I hurt my back gardening at he weekend and I've seen the day when i would have shaken off this kind of injury in a day.Still too sore to go out on bike and tbh,think I made it bloody worse on exercise bike last night!.................NURSE!!!!

Hope your fit and well soon and you dont stiffen up too much overnight ;) .....Mind you,with a name like Drooper!!:lol:

It's an age thing Drooper.I hurt my back gardening at he weekend and I've seen the day when i would have shaken off this kind of injury in a day.Still too sore to go out on bike and tbh,think I made it bloody worse on exercise bike last night!.................NURSE!!!!

Cheers mate, but it has got bloody worse as the day has went on.

My wife came to get me at work so I loaded the bike into the back of the motor. I've got history with this knee, so I'm pretty concerned at the moment.

You're spot on about the age thing, though. I was just saying as much to a colleague earlier. As a wee boy, I'd have bounced straight back from a spill like this, but I'm bloody toiling here :(

I hope you're back on the bike soon, too (no pun intended mind ;) ).

Cheers mate, but it has got bloody worse as the day has went on.

My wife came to get me at work so I loaded the bike into the back of the motor. I've got history with this knee, so I'm pretty concerned at the moment.

You're spot on about the age thing, though. I was just saying as much to a colleague earlier. As a wee boy, I'd have bounced straight back from a spill like this, but I'm bloody toiling here :(

Indeed, the joy of youth has long gone for many of us............. :(

Thanks for the Glasgow bike shop info BTW..........;)

Guys. I bought a Bike and Have fucked the Crank arms threads. what do i do?

Chances are that it will be cycle thread and the taps and dies are like hens teeth, so yes it probably is the LBS for this?

Went out for a wee scoot last night on the new bike in preparation for Monday's attempt at the commute. Did about 4 miles, will hopefully get some more practice in tonight and over the weekend. Definitely need to get used to cycling on roads and build up my awareness. Also need a decent saddle as the current one is like sitting on wire fence. Any recommendations?

Also need a decent saddle as the current one is like sitting on wire fence. Any recommendations?

Having had 'saddle issues' myself I fully understand what you are saying here, but having read some (too many) cycling magazines this is definately a difficult question to answer as we are all a 'bit different' down there!

I tried a few on the road bike before I settled for a Specialized Avatar gel thingy with the cut out relief bit (excuse the lack of terminology):huh: .

The mountain bike came with a Fizik (Gobi I think?) and it gets good reviews from the magzines........ My ar*e isnae so sure though! :(

I've heard a few mention that the Aliante is a decent saddle, but I prefer one with the cut out bitty.....;)

Happy comfort hunting!