Official P&b Cycling Thread

Went out for a wee scoot last night on the new bike in preparation for Monday's attempt at the commute. Did about 4 miles, will hopefully get some more practice in tonight and over the weekend. Definitely need to get used to cycling on roads and build up my awareness. Also need a decent saddle as the current one is like sitting on wire fence. Any recommendations?

The comfiest saddle I've used is the SDG Bel Air. I used it for the 100 mile sportive in August and didn't have the slightest bit of discomfort. It comes in plenty of colour options, and you can pick it for for £30 - £40 if you shop around online.

I swear by it, whereas many other saddles simply make me swear <_<

Went out for a wee scoot last night on the new bike in preparation for Monday's attempt at the commute. Did about 4 miles, will hopefully get some more practice in tonight and over the weekend. Definitely need to get used to cycling on roads and build up my awareness. Also need a decent saddle as the current one is like sitting on wire fence. Any recommendations?

Soak your arse in vinegar for a few hours.

Does nothing to help saddle sore,but quite a nice wee sensation!

The comfiest saddle I've used is the SDG Bel Air. I used it for the 100 mile sportive in August and didn't have the slightest bit of discomfort. It comes in plenty of colour options, and you can pick it for for £30 - £40 if you shop around online.

I swear by it, whereas many other saddles simply make me swear dry.gif

Cheers Drooper, much appreciated. Hope your knee gets better soon.

And UTN, I'll give the vinegar a miss, should only be used on chips not on my large arse!!!

Cheers Drooper, much appreciated. Hope your knee gets better soon.

And UTN, I'll give the vinegar a miss, should only be used on chips not on my large arse!!!

Suit yourself ! :P

Seriously though,important you get a good saddle,not only comfortable for your arse,but also one which prevents the dreaded "numb-nuts" ,as it could soon become impotent!!

Cheers mate, but it has got bloody worse as the day has went on.

My wife came to get me at work so I loaded the bike into the back of the motor. I've got history with this knee, so I'm pretty concerned at the moment.

You're spot on about the age thing, though. I was just saying as much to a colleague earlier. As a wee boy, I'd have bounced straight back from a spill like this, but I'm bloody toiling here :(

I hope you're back on the bike soon, too (no pun intended mind ;) ).

Been feeling a wee bit light headed lately and went for an eye test this morning.

Semingly Im also going fucking blind and need specs.

This getting old lark is a pure b*****d!

Been feeling a wee bit light headed lately and went for an eye test this morning.

Semingly Im also going fucking blind and need specs.

This getting old lark is a pure b*****d!

Aye, I'm well and truly crocked with this knee. It has blown up like a balloon, and an X-ray might be on the cards now. Nightmare :(

You can get decent cycling specs that can take prescription lenses underneath (if that makes sense) - so all is not lost :)

Decathlon was well worth a visit, didn't buy much today but I fully appreciate why you would go there.........Just a pity it's 90+ miles away for us...!

I did try to go to the Evan's shop in Braehead, but TBH us 'country loons' find this traffic shit a nightmare and I gave in.......... Poor on my behalf I know, but it was midday if that offers any kind of excuse....?

The cycling shorts, bibs and whatever @ Decathlon looked like decent stuff......I almost splashed some cash on the ones with the thicker padding (B Twin 15mm?)........Should I have bought......... Advice please??

Decathlon was well worth a visit, didn't buy much today but I fully appreciate why you would go there.........Just a pity it's 90+ miles away for us...!

I did try to go to the Evan's shop in Braehead, but TBH us 'country loons' find this traffic shit a nightmare and I gave in.......... Poor on my behalf I know, but it was midday if that offers any kind of excuse....?

The cycling shorts, bibs and whatever @ Decathlon looked like decent stuff......I almost splashed some cash on the ones with the thicker padding (B Twin 15mm?)........Should I have bought......... Advice please??

I'm often guilty of buying bike kit because I like the idea/look of it, not because I really need it. If you don't have a couple of pairs of padded shorts already, then another pair won't go amiss, right enough.

If I were you, I'd look at investing in a pair of bib-longs made form Roubaix material for cosiness during the cold months. I bought a dhb pair from Wiggle and they are great on colder rides. They set me back about £40 (I got a tenner off for adding a trinket to bring the total bill to £50 when the deal kicked in), and they are worth every penny.

On the subject of good quality clothing, I was wearing my Endura Singletrack trousers when I came off the bike last week. Despite the fact that my knee was a bit bloodied and pulped, the knees of the breeks were unmarked. They really are bombproof, and yet another fantastic bit of kit from the Scottish-based manufacturer.

I would agree that every bit of endura kit I ever bought has been superb, I got a pair of e-vent trousers that are great for the winter and seem almost bullet proof! The endura brand always seems pretty well priced as well.

Aye, always one of my first preferences when looking to invest in a new bit of kit.

I've been quite impressed with dhb from Wiggle, also, and Altura are reliable too. Both brands offer good value for money.