Official P&b Cycling Thread

Got a wee bit of a wake up call yesterday.

Went out with the club on a Sunday run and had planned to leave Larbert,head through Stirling then out the A811 then A81 to Aberfoyle,then back,which would have totalled around 70 miles.

Although not too many climbs,we headed west into the breeze at an average pace of around 20 mph and some of the better cyclists ramped it up a wee bit.

I honestly thought I'd be OK,but hit a wall after the first 25 then had to about turn and come back,as I was conscious of the fact,that I may start holding the group up.

Ended up doing just over 50 miles,but fucking gutted and dissapointed at myself.

I have to start appreciating the fact that some of the buggers who I'm trying to kep up with are almost half my age and the "older" ones have been at this game for years

As long as you enjoyed yourself :lol:

I've bitten the bullet and brought the turbo trainer up from my mother-in-law's. It hasn't been used since my father-in-law passed away over 3 years ago, but looks in decent enough nick.

I've stuck an old QR skewer on it and will give it a try during the week. It looks hellishly dull, but better than nothing as the local roads about here are still pretty dodgy.

Decided to take the bike this morning because there was bugger all wind and just a wee bit of rain so it seemed to good an opportunity to pass up.

Surprisingly, the back roads were fine. My biggest danger was some t**t who decide he didn't like the fact I pulled out early to overtake a car, and proceeded to undertake then burst through what gap remained between me and the aforementioned stationary vehicle.

Also, Dundee bus drivers are complete wankers. When will they realise that advance stop lines aren't for them?

Got a wee bit of a wake up call yesterday.

Went out with the club on a Sunday run and had planned to leave Larbert,head through Stirling then out the A811 then A81 to Aberfoyle,then back,which would have totalled around 70 miles.

Although not too many climbs,we headed west into the breeze at an average pace of around 20 mph and some of the better cyclists ramped it up a wee bit.

I honestly thought I'd be OK,but hit a wall after the first 25 then had to about turn and come back,as I was conscious of the fact,that I may start holding the group up.

Ended up doing just over 50 miles,but fucking gutted and dissapointed at myself.

I have to start appreciating the fact that some of the buggers who I'm trying to kep up with are almost half my age and the "older" ones have been at this game for years

Jesus..20mph average.. Whilst I happily put my name down for a P&B cycle get together and was aware at my age and fitness level I would be the 'Lanterne Rouge' I never expected that sort of pace.......:huh:

As long as you enjoyed yourself :lol:

I've bitten the bullet and brought the turbo trainer up from my mother-in-law's. It hasn't been used since my father-in-law passed away over 3 years ago, but looks in decent enough nick.

I've stuck an old QR skewer on it and will give it a try during the week. It looks hellishly dull, but better than nothing as the local roads about here are still pretty dodgy.

Still considering whether to splash the cash and get a Turbo Trainer. Liked the look/price of one on line. Mrs B just shakes her head in disbelief when I mention it...:P !

Decided to take the bike this morning because there was bugger all wind and just a wee bit of rain so it seemed to good an opportunity to pass up.

Surprisingly, the back roads were fine. My biggest danger was some t**t who decide he didn't like the fact I pulled out early to overtake a car, and proceeded to undertake then burst through what gap remained between me and the aforementioned stationary vehicle.

Also, Dundee bus drivers are complete wankers. When will they realise that advance stop lines aren't for them?

May I ask how far you travel before you hit the city and your total each day?

Jesus..20mph average.. Whilst I happily put my name down for a P&B cycle get together and was aware at my age and fitness level I would be the 'Lanterne Rouge' I never expected that sort of pace.......:huh:

Still considering whether to splash the cash and get a Turbo Trainer. Liked the look/price of one on line. Mrs B just shakes her head in disbelief when I mention it...:P !

What one are you looking at?

But will I enjoy it as much as a good night oot............?:P

There is no danger of that!!

The trick with a turbo trainer is to do something else at the same time or you will get bored shitless.

An I Pod or watching a good film on a laptop in front of you is my preferred method. Also go up and down the gears.

Santa Claus is going to bring me a cycling DVD which takes you through routes and tries to simulate climbs etc by getting you to use your gears - that may hold the interest somewhat as you are doing different things.

I suppose it depends on your definition of "city" really ;)

If you mean Dundee as a whole, I'm already in it but need to use a couple of back roads to get from my house to the main road. But if you mean the city centre, I'm about 2-and-a-half miles away, with my destination being another half-mile on top, which is a 6-mile round trip each day. Although sometimes I take a (much) less direct route home which is about 8 miles in itself.

I suppose it depends on your definition of "city" really ;)

If you mean Dundee as a whole, I'm already in it but need to use a couple of back roads to get from my house to the main road. But if you mean the city centre, I'm about 2-and-a-half miles away, with my destination being another half-mile on top, which is a 6-mile round trip each day. Although sometimes I take a (much) less direct route home which is about 8 miles in itself.

I asked the question as when I cycle to work it's mostly on back roads, some of which are quiet, some busy with hardly any busses. In my experience the 'driving styles' are scary on those too.........dry.gif

Anyway, totally understand the 'city' thing...........

Brechin......:P

A friend has this query -

You're driving along a straight road in town, the road has numerous sets of traffic lights along its length..

You get to the first set of lights - they're at red...You stop, and a cyclist overtakes you on the inside - rides up to the front of the queue of traffic and stops...

Lights change, all the cars set off at 2 mph behind the cyclist - eventually, one by one overtaking him when it's safe to do so..

Arrive at the next set of lights - which are again red because you've spent so much time behind the cyclist you're out of synch with the traffic light sequence.

You stop, the cyclist you were stuck behind rides back up the inside of the queue of traffic to the front and everything starts again...

After two or three sets of lights, the driver's are getting rather hacked off at this and are taking evermore risky opportunities to overtake the cyclist.

I can understand the cyclist heading to the front of the queue if they're planning to turn left or right at the lights - but all they're doing if they're going straight on is to annoy other road users and to put themselves in potential danger...

Anyone out there who cycles regularly explain what the advantage is for the cyclist?

I steer clear of town cycling so I've no idea. Any suggestions?

Edited by NewBornBairn

Being at the front of the queue of traffic is the safest place for a cyclist - it's why advance stop lines exist.

I always try to get as close to the front of a queue as possible, although if I'm somewhere where I know the traffic light phasing and I know they're about to change to green, I'll slip into the queue when I can.

Cycled into work this morning. Took the road bike because it was easiest to extricate from the shed.

The ride in was uneventful, and quite enjoyable despite the smirry rain. Sometimes it's a case of forcing yourself to get out there, but I'm always glad (and a wee bit smug) when I do.

Being at the front of the queue of traffic is the safest place for a cyclist - it's why advance stop lines exist.

I always try to get as close to the front of a queue as possible, although if I'm somewhere where I know the traffic light phasing and I know they're about to change to green, I'll slip into the queue when I can.

That's pretty much the same as me. If I know the sequence of the lights and I know I have some time before my lights turn green then I'll filter to the front (provided it's safe to do so). If not I just join the line of traffic as if I was a car.

I'm sure the Guardian had something on their cycle blog about ASZ. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/bike-blog/2011/aug/24/safety-red-lights-cyclists

Edited by RiG