Official P&b Cycling Thread

That looks suspiciously like those shitty metal sheds that Argos sell.

Of course, I didn't know they were shitty until we bought one for our garden. Needless to say, if there's a wee bit of wind, I'd take your bike in your office with you.

Edited by The Master

I'd quite like to use my bike to cycle the 12 miles or so to Falkirk for home games, but even though there's a bike rack, I doubt it'd still be there 90 minutes later.

Just leave it chained to the opposition goal mouth - I doubt it'll be in the way and at half-time you get to cycle round the pitch ;)

That looks suspiciously like those shitty metal sheds that Argos sell.

Of course, I didn't know they were shitty until we bought one for our garden. Needless to say, if there's a wee bit of wind, I'd take your bike in your office with you.

It seems pretty solid to me, but we'll no doubt find out when Hurricane Dobber cames calling.

I was having a wee look at LE to JOG info on the web and stumbled across this http://www.ctc.org.u...aspx?TabID=4088

Anyone on here a member or ex member? Was thinking I might send for the LE to JOG info pack, but then wondered if signing up for a year would be worth it?

BTW, I'm just 'considering' the idea of LE to JOG, I'ts unlikely to happen........:whistle

My chain fell apart on the way to work today. Any recommendations as to what to look for in a new chain?

Without knowing more detail - The main thing is that it matches the manufacurer of the crank & gears as well as matching the number of gears...

Some chains need a special tool to join the links, others don't....

It might be worth visiting your LBS for specific advice for your bike?

Sorry if this is a bit vague.....!

By way of a wee update on the progress of Team P&B....

We've arranged to meet on Sunday 6th May for our maiden ride in Larbert, Stirlingshire (or is it closer to Falkirkshire? :unsure: ).

Unleash the Nade, who lives in this area and therefore knows the local roads, has drawn up a good route consisting of around 40 miles of mixed roads, many of which should be relatively quiet for those not so confident on hairing it along dual carriageways. There will be a few busier stretches, but we'll be fine if we take it sensibly.

This remains very much an open invite, so we'd encourage anyone who is interested to come along. It should be a good wee day out, and a chance to confirm that you're not the ugliest poster on P&B after all (believe me, I've seen the photos of Monkeyblair :o ).

The plan is to get the introductory ride under our belts and then plan at least one other ride - possibly one of the sportives/Pedal for Scotland - later in the year.

I got out for my first decent ride since my knee injury on Saturday. 30 miles or so with a few hills thrown in for good measure (my Helensburgh loop). It was a pretty murky, grey day, but I enjoyed it all the same, as there was hardly a breath of wind. Bike commute to work today, too, and it's very mild out - ideal for getting back in the saddle if anyone is still procrastinating.

Either post or fire off a PM if you're interested in joining Team P&B....you know you have to!

ugliest poster on P&B after all (believe me, I've seen the photos of Monkeyblair :o ).

That is totally unfair :angry:

Been training hard on the turbo recently - still not really been out on the roads too much. The wife and daughter are away down South until Saturday night but really busy at work through the week and Bo'ness have a big cup game on Saturday so not likely to do too much this week.

Just back from my first run of the year, my first in 4 months in fact. During which time I've done exactly zero exercise and I've put on a helluva lot of weight. I decided to try out UtNs route. Jesus Christ! After 1 mile my legs were screaming at me and by the time I got to Bridge of Allan I seriously thought I was going to pass out. It got a wee bit better after that but UtN forgot to mention the killer fucking wee climbs between there and Doune mad.gif In fact, if ever a place was badly named, that's it. It's more up than Doune.

However, from Doune to Stirling is ace. Fairly smooth road and pretty flat.

Overall I did just over 21 miles. The speed is irrelevant, (avg 12mph) it was just good to stretch the legs again.

How much do folks think spin classes makes your performance on a "real" bike??

I've been doing 2-3 spin classes a week since September but not ventured out this year yet!

Theyre good for building up strength and fitness, but nothing like the real thing.

You really need to get out and about as so many different factors to atke into acccount (wind,inclines,road surface,etc,etc)

Are you thinking about joining us in May?

In don't think there's any harm in any form of exercise that increases endurance and stamina. As UtN says, it's best to get out on the roads because there is so much more to cycling than being physically able to put the miles in.

I find my commute the best time to hone my cycling skills. Inevitably, I'm on the bike in traffic during the two busiest times of the day. You start to develop subtle little skills almost subconsciously. This morning, I dipped a shoulder in anticipation of the draft from a bus passing, and I'm much better at negotiating road hazards such as potholes.

You can't legislate for everything, but the daily routine of being out in the traffic is (at least in road cycling terms) equally important to building up fitness. In saying that, I'm pretty conservative in my riding. I comply with all the road regulations and don't hop on pavements, run red lights etc. I always try to acknowledge the courtesies of road users, too. Again, this very much comes from the fact that I commute the same route day-in-day-out and drivers get to know you from simply being out there. For me, it makes sense to be regarded as a courteous road user, and that way your more likely to stay alive and enjoy your cycling.

In don't think there's any harm in any form of exercise that increases endurance and stamina. As UtN says, it's best to get out on the roads because there is so much more to cycling than being physically able to put the miles in.

I find my commute the best time to hone my cycling skills. Inevitably, I'm on the bike in traffic during the two busiest times of the day. You start to develop subtle little skills almost subconsciously. This morning, I dipped a shoulder in anticipation of the draft from a bus passing, and I'm much better at negotiating road hazards such as potholes.

You can't legislate for everything, but the daily routine of being out in the traffic is (at least in road cycling terms) equally important to building up fitness. In saying that, I'm pretty conservative in my riding. I comply with all the road regulations and don't hop on pavements, run red lights etc. I always try to acknowledge the courtesies of road users, too. Again, this very much comes from the fact that I commute the same route day-in-day-out and drivers get to know you from simply being out there. For me, it makes sense to be regarded as a courteous road user, and that way your more likely to stay alive and enjoy your cycling.

All of this,plus you cant stop at a cafe for a wee cup of tea & a scone when your'e spinning ;)

Edited by Unleash The Nade

Second reliability trial of the year for me coming up,as missed last weeks.

For anyone whos interested, here is a link to the calendar of FBC events.

Falkirk Bicycle Club

If any of you fancy coming along to thiso r next Sundays trial,its open to anyone.

They're expecting around 120 cyclists this weekend and 'Im not really looking for ward to this one.

10 miles to cycle to the start and then another 18 miles back home after finish, making total distance of just under 94 miles.

Think I may take the car to the start point!!