Official P&b Cycling Thread

I'm thinking of getting a mountain bike,nothing too serious,just something to get me along the Forth and Clyde canal path and up the back of Cumbernauld towards Slamannan etc.

Just looking for something cheap for now in case its just a phase.

Anybody know what these bikes from Sports Direct are like? or Halfords?

I know you guys who take it serious will laugh at the idea of buying one of these,but are they any good for a novice? or can you recommend elsewhere for a cheap bike?

Sports Direct are selling the full suspension Dunlop[ bikes for £60 reduced from £150.

Thanks to all replys in advance.

Beware of BSOs (bike shaped objects).

The Dunlop bikes you mention are likely to weigh about as much as a small country, so I'd steer well clear.

As a rule of thumb, if you're looking for a cheap new bike, avoid anything with rear suspension (probably front suspension too, TBH). This just adds weight and adds no real benefit due to the poor quality of the components. It's all about trying to look the part.

My advice would be to buy second hand if your budget is constrained. A guy I work with picked up a very decent Giant mountain bike through the local classifieds for £70. The tyres alone probably didn't cost much less than that. you can pick up some cracking deals.

My advice would be to buy second hand if you have less than £250 - £300 to spend. For £300, you could pick up a decent bike on last years model (they quite often reduce by up to 40% if you shop around).

Be wary of Gumtree as it is often used by thiefs to sell stolen bikes. Stick a wanted ad in your local rag, and keep an eye out for any bikes for sale. Another idea is to ask around at work/school/college etc. if anyone has a bike they don't use who would be willing to make a few bob on it.

Bikes from Halfords are generally decent enough quality, but you get what you pay for.

Go second hand.

Beware of BSOs (bike shaped objects).

The Dunlop bikes you mention are likely to weigh about as much as a small country, so I'd steer well clear.

As a rule of thumb, if you're looking for a cheap new bike, avoid anything with rear suspension (probably front suspension too, TBH). This just adds weight and adds no real benefit due to the poor quality of the components. It's all about trying to look the part.

My advice would be to buy second hand if your budget is constrained. A guy I work with picked up a very decent Giant mountain bike through the local classifieds for £70. The tyres alone probably didn't cost much less than that. you can pick up some cracking deals.

My advice would be to buy second hand if you have less than £250 - £300 to spend. For £300, you could pick up a decent bike on last years model (they quite often reduce by up to 40% if you shop around).

Be wary of Gumtree as it is often used by thiefs to sell stolen bikes. Stick a wanted ad in your local rag, and keep an eye out for any bikes for sale. Another idea is to ask around at work/school/college etc. if anyone has a bike they don't use who would be willing to make a few bob on it.

Bikes from Halfords are generally decent enough quality, but you get what you pay for.

Go second hand.

Ok thanks for the advice.

I'm thinking of getting a mountain bike,nothing too serious,just something to get me along the Forth and Clyde canal path and up the back of Cumbernauld towards Slamannan etc.

I know you guys who take it serious will laugh at the idea of buying one of these,but are they any good for a novice? or can you recommend elsewhere for a cheap bike?

Sports Direct are selling the full suspension Dunlop[ bikes for £60 reduced from £150.

Drooper's advice is spot on IMHO... If it's a phase, make sure you give it a chance? BSO's would be detrimental... Look for a bike that somebody is selling because they want to "upgrade".

For me, I would avoid rear suspension........... Unless you are mega keen on flying down the side of a mountain...?

Went on another club ride yesterday, and foolishly opted to tag along with the harder core guys. Within about 12 miles I knew I was out my depth so split from that group, got a bit lost but made it to the cafe rendezvous in Wemyss Bay.

We then made the return leg together. About 60 miles in all, but it demonstrated my limitations, and also reminded me why I enjoy solo riding. I like to be able to take a breather when I fancy it, or pause to enjoy the view.

I reckon I'll opt in and out of the club rides as they seem fine with that. It's a good option to have.

Edited by Drooper

1331476416[/url]' post='6046574']

Went on another club ride yesterday, and foolishly opted to tag along with the harder core guys. Within about 12 miles I knew I was out my depth so split from that group, got a bit lost but made it to the cafe rendezvous in Wemyss Bay.

We then made the return leg together. About 60 miles in all, but it demonstrated my limitations, and also reminded me why I enjoy solo riding. I like to be able to take a breather when I fancy it, or pause to enjoy the view.

I reckon I'll opt in and out of the club rides as they seem fine with that. It's a good option to have.

Drooper appreciate you're an experienced cyclist and and I tried exactly the same as you when I joined my club,going out with more experienced guys after a few weeksBig mistakeGive yourself a wee bit more time and be a wee bit more patientOnce you become more and more comfortable with group riding,taking spells at the front,group formations erc,etc then try stepping up a levelIf you try and do too much too soon you'll defiantly scunner yourselfI honestly think your trying to do too much too soon and despite fitness levels etc,etc, it still takes a wee bit tim to get used to it allNothing wrong with dipping in and out of club runs as and when you lik to,but it will make you a much better rider and develop your skills

Drooper appreciate you're an experienced cyclist and and I tried exactly the same as you when I joined my club,going out with more experienced guys after a few weeksBig mistakeGive yourself a wee bit more time and be a wee bit more patientOnce you become more and more comfortable with group riding,taking spells at the front,group formations erc,etc then try stepping up a levelIf you try and do too much too soon you'll defiantly scunner yourselfI honestly think your trying to do too much too soon and despite fitness levels etc,etc, it still takes a wee bit tim to get used to it allNothing wrong with dipping in and out of club runs as and when you lik to,but it will make you a much better rider and develop your skills

It hasn't put me off, UtN.

There was supposed to be an 'intermediate' group going out yesterday, and they would have went at a more manageable pace, but, due to numbers, they didn't split the groups. Instead, a few guys opted to take a pretty flat, shorter route. I should have went along with them - that was my mistake - but fancied the longer run without appreciating that the pace would be beyond my abilities.

I can see the benefits, but there are elements of club riding that I'm not quite so keen on. As I've said before, my main aim when cycling is to enjoy getting out, and not to worry too much about pace, average MPH etc. I also find the bunch riding a bit too intense at times. It can be challenging enough avoiding hazards without also having to predict what the other riders might be about to do. We nearly ended up in a pile yesterday when a car stopped in the road suddenly due to not knowing where he was going (we were riding at a steady 20 - 22MPH at the time). I also got caught at lights after the other riders had scraped through, and almost blew a gasket trying to catch up. I'll get used to it, and will definitely go out with the club again, though.

Can anyone recommend a decent pump for getting slicks up to proper pressure? No matter how hard I try with my normal pump I can't get the pressure above 90-100psi and the tyre still feels a bit soft. Nothing too expensive or high tech though. Also a decent front light for illuminating the road in front of me as opposed to allowing me to be seen. Sick fed up of having to swerve at last minute to avoid potholes etc on badly lit roads and paths. Any advice/recommendations would be gratefully received

I know this has already been replied to but do you mean a pump that you would use at the house?

Any track pump would do the job, Edinburgh Bike Co-Op has this one on sale at the moment - I have one and it gets to 120-130psi no bother.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-air-track-pump-pro?bct=categories%2faccessories%2fpumps-pump-spares%2ftrack-pumps

I have really been struggling to get out on the bike recently.

Going for a training run on Saturday with a group of guys who are doing Lands End to John O Groats later in the year just to see how my fitness stands up!!

I know this has already been replied to but do you mean a pump that you would use at the house?

Any track pump would do the job, Edinburgh Bike Co-Op has this one on sale at the moment - I have one and it gets to 120-130psi no bother.

http://www.edinburgh...s%2ftrack-pumps

That looks like it would do the business, cheers. I do have a pump that would probably get me home in an emergency but I would be a bit more confident going out knowing that the tyres were properly inflated in the first place.

I cycled to cricket practice on Saturday, which probably wasn't a good idea given that my legs still feel sore, and it was good to try some of the cycle paths in Edinburgh. I had no idea that there was a path running along Ferry Road, which was fantastic, because I hate driving on that road let alone cycling on it. It was about 5 miles each way and the vast majority was away from the roads. I shall be exploring further in the near future to try out other paths as well. The bike is getting serviced on Thursday but hopefully I'll get it back on Thursday night and go for a wee spin.

Did 42 miles on the MTB yesterday. Longest journey yet.

Balloch to Tarbet and back to Balloch with an extra 6 miles home as I mistimed my connecting train at Central and I did not fancy hanging around for another 50minutes.

Was not that impressed with the route alongside Loch Lomond. Some nice parts but considering you are in a National Park, the route was very poorly signed (alright, it is a straight route but still) and there were few information points etc.

Also, special mention to the Inverbeg Inn, the hotel that redefines hospitality.

My mate and I had been out to about 4am on Saturday night / Sunday morning but still made it to Balloch for 12:30 on Sunday. On the road back from Tarbet and we went into the Inverbeg Inn as we were both starving by that point.

We were kindly advised by the ever so helpful staff that only hotel guests can get meals and visitors can only get snacks.

Wonderful.

That looks like it would do the business, cheers. I do have a pump that would probably get me home in an emergency but I would be a bit more confident going out knowing that the tyres were properly inflated in the first place.

I cycled to cricket practice on Saturday, which probably wasn't a good idea given that my legs still feel sore, and it was good to try some of the cycle paths in Edinburgh. I had no idea that there was a path running along Ferry Road, which was fantastic, because I hate driving on that road let alone cycling on it. It was about 5 miles each way and the vast majority was away from the roads. I shall be exploring further in the near future to try out other paths as well. The bike is getting serviced on Thursday but hopefully I'll get it back on Thursday night and go for a wee spin.

If it is the same one I am thinking of then that cycle path is not too bad.

I cycle from SQ through Crammond and join up with it at Silverknowes. It goes all the way from there down to Ocean Terminal and as you say takes out quite a lot of dodgy roads. Only thing is it is all uphill on the way back!

Cycled to work today for the first time this year, used the road bike, 10.7 miles... Red faced at the moment, however, I never noticed any runners zoom past me...! :P

Edit, cause I 'm a dipshit and should have read before posting..

Edited by broon-loon

Next cycle for me is a cycle from Glasgow to darkest Ayrshire. I am looking at three routes. Can anyone shed some light on any of them:-

Glasgow to Largs via Kilmacolm and Old Largs Road

Glasgow to Troon via Newton Mearns

Finally, where does the cycle path that passes through Lochwinnoch end?

Cheers

Next cycle for me is a cycle from Glasgow to darkest Ayrshire. I am looking at three routes. Can anyone shed some light on any of them:-

Glasgow to Largs via Kilmacolm and Old Largs Road

Glasgow to Troon via Newton Mearns

Finally, where does the cycle path that passes through Lochwinnoch end?

Cheers

After Lochwinnoch the cycle path goes on to Kilbirnie and Glengarnock, where the cycle track ends and the route joins the road. The cycle route continues on to Kilwinning and beyond to Troon and Ayr and the path reappears at points. I didn't enjoy the ride after the cycle path finished to Kilwinning, the surface was hellish and I struggled with the hills, but I did it on a boiling hot day so maybe a bit harsh. Still hated the surface, it was that stone chips laid into tar and there was so many stones it was dangerous with narrow wheels of sliding on loose gravel at speed.

Glasgow to Kilmacolm is OK (presume on cycle track). The bits to Linwood are easy, after that all uphill to Kilmacolm. From Glasgow it is a bit of an indirect route the roads are quicker. Some vandalism about can mean broken bottles and glass at the worst bits so watch for punctures. Lots of walkers and dog walkers to watch out for. Don't know about road to Largs or through Newton Mearns.

Guys, does anyone know of anyone selling a half-decent road bike? I'm not looking to spend more than £200.

I have a specalized sectuer sport that I am selling, it's the 2009 version. Would be looking for £300 as it's in top shape. Are u anywhere near Scotland's capital? It's a triple on medium frame.

There is a place in Stirling called Recyke a Bike. Meant to be very good.

I have a specalized sectuer sport that I am selling, it's the 2009 version. Would be looking for £300 as it's in top shape. Are u anywhere near Scotland's capital? It's a triple on medium frame.

I'm based in Falkirk but £300's a bit out of my price range. Cheers anyway.