Official P&b Cycling Thread

I use average speed as a good indicator of fitness.

I have a variety of routes and keep a record of times etc on them all. Yes, sometimes the weather will be different and wind will be harder but that just means it helps you more too so it all evens out.

Anyway I'm right and you're all wrong :lol:

What a load of old shite.

You've obviously spent too long on that turbo trainer in your garage and you're feeling a bit light-headed :P

I use average speed as a good indicator of fitness.

I have a variety of routes and keep a record of times etc on them all. Yes, sometimes the weather will be different and wind will be harder but that just means it helps you more too so it all evens out.

Anyway I'm right and you're all wrong :lol:

What a load of old shite.

You've obviously spent too long on that turbo trainer in your garage and you're feeling a bit light-headed :P

It's such a pity the Harry Hill TV programme is no longer.................... :whistle

I'm out...

I cannae dae nuffin cycle, walk, or get aff the bloody couch.

I had this last summer. Couldn't make the phsyio appointments due to work, looks like I'll have to make the effort this time.

Just leave me with two bullets guy's, go, go on without me... *sniff*

Sorry to hear that Wisbit,you could still come along for the beer & pies :D

Yeah i can see me draggin you along in that wisbit mind you pretty much the same as the other week lol oh and i fell off my pedals

Looks like we are giving up on this run on sunday. and going on sat we are planning to go from paisley over the bridge head for loch lomond way to Dunoon thats the plan anyway. Anyone ever done this route??

Just back from my first serious ride cool.gif

Did 29 miles in around 4 hours 5 mins - really really enjoyed it, except for the last 50 yards up the hill to my house on the way back, I didn't think I was going to make it at one stage.

Went from Killie to Kilwinning on route 73, past the back of Crosshouse and down into Dreghorn then Irvine and finally into Kilwinning - then back again.

I will be sore tomorrow.

Ha ha ha....

Mind that guy stevie ?

We done that route, we fell oot at the loch, he fked off an went for the train.:lol:

Ha ha brilliant only you two could have a tiff oot cycling, hope yer back on the bike soon.

I'm looking forward to the run tomorrow once in dunoon if we make it. it will be ferry over to gourock and train to paisley

Just back from my first serious ride cool.gif

Did 29 miles in around 4 hours 5 mins - really really enjoyed it, except for the last 50 yards up the hill to my house on the way back, I didn't think I was going to make it at one stage.

Went from Killie to Kilwinning on route 73, past the back of Crosshouse and down into Dreghorn then Irvine and finally into Kilwinning - then back again.

I will be sore tomorrow.

Well done. Isn't it an amazing feeling when you stop though? biggrin.gif

Ha ha brilliant only you two could have a tiff oot cycling, hope yer back on the bike soon.

I'm looking forward to the run tomorrow once in dunoon if we make it. it will be ferry over to gourock and train to paisley

What route you going? Through Helensburgh or along Loch Lomondside? Some of the roads there are fairly fast and blind not sure if I'd like cycling on them.

I'm on the injury list temporarily. Suffered shingles a couple of weeks ago and still recovering from the nerve damage.

Well having gone out as much as I could over the winter months and had quite a few decent long runs,I went to the first training night with the bike club on Thursday,with a renewed confidence that I would be able to do fair a bit better on the APR circuit.

To be honest,after the first 9 mile lap I felt quite good,then the pace picked up sharply and I ended up getting fucking skelped :(

Think its time for me to finally live up to the reality,that age does start slowing you down,whether you like it or not :D

Mind you,half the wee b*****ds in the club haven't even sniffed a pint in their life

Think its time for me to finally live up to the reality,that age does start slowing you down,whether you like it or not :D

Mind you,half the wee b*****ds in the club haven't even sniffed a pint in their life

Your VO2 max is not as affected by age as your twitch muscles that are responsible for speed. Your absolute maximum heart rate will drop but your ability to suck in oxygen and for your heart to pump large volumes of blood will not be all that affected until you are well into your 40s. My guess is that by doing a lot of endurance cycling your legs and lungs are able to sustain a long time at a medium areobic load, but when the speed picks up you are not able to get the oxygen in and sustain the anerobic workload. So rather than age it is just you have not trained for the bursts of intense work.

In areas like distance swimming, marathon running and cycling people in their 40s and even 50s can still be very competative at club level, they cannot compete with the very best but are able to get in real good times compared with much younger people.

Could be wrong and its difficult to make these guesses over the internet but if you add some burts of intense speed to your training you ability to keep up should improve.

Your VO2 max is not as affected by age as your twitch muscles that are responsible for speed. Your absolute maximum heart rate will drop but your ability to suck in oxygen and for your heart to pump large volumes of blood will not be all that affected until you are well into your 40s. My guess is that by doing a lot of endurance cycling your legs and lungs are able to sustain a long time at a medium areobic load, but when the speed picks up you are not able to get the oxygen in and sustain the anerobic workload. So rather than age it is just you have not trained for the bursts of intense work.

In areas like distance swimming, marathon running and cycling people in their 40s and even 50s can still be very competative at club level, they cannot compete with the very best but are able to get in real good times compared with much younger people.

Could be wrong and its difficult to make these guesses over the internet but if you add some burts of intense speed to your training you ability to keep up should improve.

Thanks for making me feel a wee bit better Dorlomin and to be honest,your theory sounds spot on,as I'm OK at the long steady rides :D

Maybe there is some life in the old dog yet!!

Having said what I did,there were also some younger guys I left well behind.

You coming on the inaugural P&B bike ride in May?

Went out yesterday for my third run with the new bike. Decided to go the same route I did on Monday now that I'm a bit more confident at handling it. 12.34 miles in 56:41 at an average speed of 13.06mph. Think I could have taken another couple of minutes off but I was riding into the wind for the first few miles.

Going out tomorrow morning for a longer run, hope the weather stays nice enough.

Quick question though guys - what's the opinions on riding a road bike in the rain?

What route you going? Through Helensburgh or along Loch Lomondside? Some of the roads there are fairly fast and blind not sure if I'd like cycling on them.

I'm on the injury list temporarily. Suffered shingles a couple of weeks ago and still recovering from the nerve damage.

We went up loch lomondside to tarbet stopped at a nice wee cafe for a munch the headed towards the rest and be thankful. Then had the best downhill ive done. All in all great day out 80 miles in all ferry and train home.

Went out yesterday for my third run with the new bike. Decided to go the same route I did on Monday now that I'm a bit more confident at handling it. 12.34 miles in 56:41 at an average speed of 13.06mph. Think I could have taken another couple of minutes off but I was riding into the wind for the first few miles.

Going out tomorrow morning for a longer run, hope the weather stays nice enough.

Quick question though guys - what's the opinions on riding a road bike in the rain?

I don't have an answer to your question.

What I will say is that I learned for the first time on Friday, I learned all about the perils of cycling into the wind. Tough times - but only really for the first 10 mins or so until I got used to it.

If your question relates to safety issues Gaz,really its just a matter of common sense,adapting to and allowing for the conditions.

Brake a bit earlier,corner a wee bit slower and maybe dont bank over as much.

With regards to cornering at speed,regardless of conditions,always remember to push down(stand) on the outside pedal,which transfers some of your body weight and helps make the bike more stable (eg weight on right pedal at a left hand corner and on left pedal at a right hand corner)

Also keep your body slightluy more upright than the bike and dont lean over too much

Looks like you're really getting ito it :thumsup2

**PLEASE READ**

Right folks, a further rallying call in advance of the Inaugural Team P&B Ride on Sunday 6th May.

This is a description of the route suggested by Unleash The Nade:

The Big(gish) One!

The ride is just under 40 miles, so shouldn't prove too tough for anyone with a few miles in their legs and a reasonable level of bike fitness. This isn't a competitive outing, and, as we won't have been out together, we'll need to take it steady in any event. Safety and enjoying the day are the key elements. This is an opportunity to meet some of the guys on P&B, but, better still, to meet up with people who share two passions - fitba and riding (some of us enjoy cycling too!).

It's an open invite, so everyone is welcome. If necessary we can easily split into sub-groups if it makes sense on the day and meet up for refreshments at the end, so there needn't be any pressure to tear the arse out of it if you're flagging for whatever reason.

It is to be hoped that this is merely the first Team P&B ride of many, and it would be good to throw things open for suggestions of other routes (possibly a particular favourite in your local area). The aim for this year is to get together for an organised ride later in the summer/early autumn. The Pedal for Scotland event has been suggested and sounds like a decent shout.

It would be great to see as many folk as can make it along on 6th May for the ice-breaker, though. Please let us know if you're up for it so we can get an idea of numbers, and UtN can organise the free bar at his local boozer as promised! :whistle

Edited by Drooper