Official P&b Cycling Thread

Having read The Masters post about his collision I was wondering has anyone else 1) been in a collision with a vehicle or 2) got a helmet camera? Any recommendations on the latter?

In answer to your questions:

1) No, but too many near misses to count;

2) I've given this some thought. A half decent camera would probably set you back £100 or so, and I'm not sure if I can justify that, however tempting it is.

I've signed up for this ride a week on Sunday:

65 mile Route

I reckon the 100 mile route is a bit too ambitious this early in the year, so opted for the 65 mile 'challenge' route (already signed up for the Skye Mor 100 mile ride at the end of May so this will be good training). I've never tackled the Duke's Pass so this is an opportunity to take it on in the context of an organised event. I'm not sure about the road surfaces at points in the route (Loch Ard etc.), so will have to brace myself for a bit of road-side repair action.

Weather could also be a challenge, but I'm looking forward to it. The ride seems well organised, so it should be a good day out, with the added bonus that I can cycle to the start/end point as its only 5 miles from home - hmm....that adds a further 10 miles to the ride, right enough!

This looks good never seen this website could be interested I'm signing up myself.

In answer to your questions:

1) No, but too many near misses to count;

2) I've given this some thought. A half decent camera would probably set you back £100 or so, and I'm not sure if I can justify that, however tempting it is.

This isn't a bad option.- http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/cycling-accessories/veho-muvi-helmet-camera-initial-impressions/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0029631VI?ie=UTF8&tag=londcycl-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B0029631VI

This is the camera I've got -- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Actioncam-Action-Video-Camera/dp/B001CQQ7J4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1333755669&sr=1-1

I got it from friends for my birthday and it does a job...so long as the batteries haven't run out (as I discovered...). Battery-less operation and charging via USB would be a lot more convenient. It's a bit like phones - I remember to charge my phone more often because I can do it from my PC; with older phones, I'd forget until they ran dry.

I have the 2009 version of this and it is top drawer! Really smooth transmission and the inserts in the forks seem to soak a lot of bumps up thumbup2.gif

1333730307[/url]' post='6116435']

Oh, and today I treated myself to this:

1305631220-27617200.jpg

:)

Picking it up tomorrow. I get 10% of the value of the bike's worth of free accessories as well, so will angle for a saddle bag, water bottle with holder, a multi-tool and a decent lock.

Edited by Arab on a bike

This looks good never seen this website could be interested I'm signing up myself.

If you roll up on the day, it's an extra 2 quid (assuming it is not fully subscribed which I would doubt). Might be worth it to wait and see what the weather looks like. Give me a shout if you fancy it.

Took a trip down to Glenrothes this morning (in the car) to Leslie Bike Shop's open day.

Lots of shiny kit on display, especially from Bianchi and Ridley. I need to start saving up first though................:(

The other reason I went was to see a bike that "The Pirate" Marco Pantani rode for Bianch circa 1998. :thumsup2 It's actually very basic and shows how much bikes have evolved over the last 10-15 years.

Hope it brightens up for them later, the weather was drizzly driech when I was there...

Picked my nooo bike up this morning. Looking very nice. Itching to get out on it but taking the wife for a spot of lunch first. Hopefully the weather will stay nice enough and I'll get out in a couple of hours time.

Very happy with it. Pedals are a bit naff but I knew that anyway and the guy was honest enough to say that to me yesterday. Managed to pick up a decent combination lock, a saddle bag and a multi-tool as well.

Just back from the inaugural ride on my new Specialized. 25.85 miles in 1:53:31 at an average speed of 13.66mph. Went from Shieldhill -> Slamannan -> Limerigg -> Caldercruix -> Armadale -> Westfield -> Avonbridge -> California -> Shiehdill. Really enjoyed it :)

If you roll up on the day, it's an extra 2 quid (assuming it is not fully subscribed which I would doubt). Might be worth it to wait and see what the weather looks like. Give me a shout if you fancy it.

Think i'll decide on the day got a 30th the night before so i'll play it by ear

Got 30 miles under my belt today on the hybrid felt like cycling a tank to start with compared to the road bike

Cycled into work today and got completely soaked. It wasn't too bad when I set off this morning, but it got steadily heavier and most of the way was into a freezing headwind. Have currently spread out my gear on radiators in several offices hoping that it will be mostly dry for the way home. Made the schoolboy error of getting into shower straight after having spent ages in th freezing cold and it was fucking agony!!!

Question for the experts.

When Im out on my mountain bike every now and again my pedal 'slips'

Its like the chain is missing the cog tooth every now and again.

It can happen every 10 full cycles, sometimes its less, sometimes more but its a real pain when going up a hill. I lose purchase and it can really cause issues.

Im presuming its my gearing set up... but not being too well versed in bike gearing Im looking for advise.

Should I just take it in for a service? Its due one anyway as Ive had the bike for about a year and a half now ( I think )

Also, when Im out in the rain (or when the bike gets wet) theres a squeaking noise coming from the bike. It doesnt seem to be the suspension but Im not sure where its coming from.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Edited by MattBairn

When Im out on my mountain bike every now and again my pedal 'slips'

Its like the chain is missing the cog tooth every now and again.

It can happen every 10 full cycles, sometimes its less, sometimes more but its a real pain when going up a hill. I lose purchase and it can really cause issues.

From what you are describing it sounds to me like your chain has stretched. You may need to get a new chain on, but the problem with this is that the teeth in the cassette at the back get worn by the chain so you might need to replace that as well. If it is a stretched chain its just part and parcel of the wear and tear a bike experiances.

Video on checking for wear.

The other possibility is you have a stiff link.(Video to check for still link)

Also, when Im out in the rain (or when the bike gets wet) theres a squeaking noise coming from the bike. It doesnt seem to be the suspension but Im not sure where its coming from.

Does the squeeking happen when your peddling?

When you are freewheeling?

Does it change with speed?

Probibly be near impossible to diagnose over the internet though.

Does the squeeking happen when your peddling?

When you are freewheeling?

Does it change with speed?

Probibly be near impossible to diagnose over the internet though.

When I'm peddling and when I'm freewheeling, suggesting its not specific to the pedal system.

Its just more pronounced with speed (from what I recall). It doesn't appear to be the front suspension as when I lift the front tyre when freewheeling its still there and there's no change when I hit the front wheel back on the ground.

It does seem to only appear when the bike gets wet. I suppose with this and the 'slipping' issue I might as well stick it in for a service and let the guy know about the issues.

I doubt it would cost much for a service anyway.

Cheers

I love cycling in the rain (yes, I'm weird) so it's annoying that my bike is still off the road till tomorrow at the earliest <_<

Incidentally, I popped into CAB this afternoon and the guy recommended I start by sending a letter to the driver requesting his insurance details, giving him 14 days to comply and informing him that if he doesn't, I'll look to pursue a small claims action.

Edited by The Master

When I'm peddling and when I'm freewheeling, suggesting its not specific to the pedal system.

Its just more pronounced with speed (from what I recall). It doesn't appear to be the front suspension as when I lift the front tyre when freewheeling its still there and there's no change when I hit the front wheel back on the ground.

It does seem to only appear when the bike gets wet. I suppose with this and the 'slipping' issue I might as well stick it in for a service and let the guy know about the issues.

I doubt it would cost much for a service anyway.

Cheers

A guess (and its a pretty wild stab) would be water getting in the rear hub.

I love cycling in the rain (yes, I'm weird) so it's annoying that my bike is still off the road till tomorrow at the earliest <_<

It might be different as I do all my cycling off road but its best on a calm day (no wind) and bucketing down with rain. I love going out on my bike when its like that.