Official P&b Cycling Thread

Cycled in to work again today......

9.74 miles in just under 38 minutes.

Last nights cycle home was difficult to say the least given the wind. Not only hard work, but risky.... too risky TBH.....:(

It was quite tough down here due to winds yesterday on the road home, so I can only imagine what you were battling against.

As you say, pretty dangerous. I got hit by a cross-wind when cycling up the road earlier in the year and it nearly launched me into the oncoming traffic.

Oh dear.

Whoever scheduled that should be shot!

It was on the same day as PFS last year as well. The organisers were told this, but have gone ahead and done the same this year anyway.

It's not as long as PFS (26 miles), but I would certainly take part in both if they were on different weekends. But if I'd been available this weekend, it would be PFS I'd be doing, no question.

UTN, what difference to your average speed do you think it makes when you are riding in a group? I went out on my own last night and just did a 17 mile spin but averaged only 17.5mph. Now I think I am a reasonably strong cyclist and the wind was strong but to get to the kind of average speed your group gets to seems a long way away for me!

Also, when you are bowling along the flat do you spin in an easier gear (popular on tour at the moment) or do you engage a tough gear and grind along? I prefer the grind method.

Apologies for the late reply MB,as I've been away on business.

Its a difficult one to answer and not as clean and cut as Drooper states,as it all depends on the ability of the group,what kind of formation you take ( pairs or a chain),what the conditions are like and if the spells are evenly taken by each of the group members.

The average sped of the instance I gave could have been higher,but because only 4 of us were regularly going through to the front,we got tired quicker .

I was out last night in a similarly sized group,in much worse conditions,but we all worked more or less the same and managed an average of 22mph.

You do notice a difference when you're not at the front,especially into a headwind,but I would say on average ,you'll add a maximum of 2.5 mph to your average in a group.

You also tend to work harder for longer in a group,especially if you have some guys in it of a better ability than yourself.However,when racing in a group,if you get spat out the back,basically you're fucked, as its very difficult to get back on a wheel.

Personally,I always try and stay on as big a gear as I possibly can and very seldom come off the big ring at the front.I know some guys prefer to spin,especially going up hills, but I find you loose ground and speed quicker doing this

Has anyone out there received their packs for PFS yet? I am down south until Saturday night so not sure if it has been delivered.

As for parking, all single yellow line, parking bays etc are free on a Sunday so get there early and you will be fine.

I work in Glasgow so will take the car up to Garscube Road (where I park during the week as its free) and cycle to the Green, it's only 5 minutes.

Will get the train to work on Monday and just go collect the car as usual after work.

Has anyone out there received their packs for PFS yet? I am down south until Saturday night so not sure if it has been delivered.

As for parking, all single yellow line, parking bays etc are free on a Sunday so get there early and you will be fine.

I work in Glasgow so will take the car up to Garscube Road (where I park during the week as its free) and cycle to the Green, it's only 5 minutes.

Will get the train to work on Monday and just go collect the car as usual after work.

I have my pack. No t-shirt though.

Looking forward to doing PFS on my new bike. It's brilliant being able to ride across rough ground and the like without grimacing at every bump - it's also opened up a whole load of trails I couldn't do on the road bike.

Given that I got it at a good price and I've just sold my Secteur for more than I paid for it (after more than a year's use), I'm feeling rather chuffed just now biggrin.gif

For everyone's interest, here is the reply I got to an enquiry to Scotrail::

Thank you for your email dated 4 September 2012.

Cycle reservations are not available on this journey. We allow cycles to be carried free of charge on this route subject to space being available. At peak times, we make every effort to strengthen trains to provide additional seating and consequently extra space for cycles.

I can assure you that we are committed to providing secure storage areas for cycles at all ScotRail stations throughout the franchise.

Our conductors cannot permit further cyclists on board once the capacity level has been reached. The specific number of cycle spaces can vary from train to train. Our policy is clear - that although we welcome cyclists, the space available is limited. Therefore, if two spaces are available and these are in use, we would expect passengers to wait for the next available service.

Thank you for contacting ScotRail. If there is anything else we can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Should you need to reply to this email, please respond to scotrailcustomer.relations@firstgroup.com.

Yours sincerely

Aelwyn Cowan

Customer Relations Advisor

Cycled to work yesterday,when i got to work 18 miles later,i noticed my rear tyre was warped and bulged,not my wheel but my tyre.I decided to just leave the tyre as it was and cycle home when i finished work as the tyre was still hard,to be honest i hardly noticed any difference while cycling. When i had a look at the tyre when home there was a 1.5 inch scar on the inside of the tyre,like a bruise,the tyre is knackered it's only done 300 mlles.first time i have ever had a tyre issue apart from wear,any ideas on what happened to the tyre, as it was new.

Cycled to work yesterday,when i got to work 18 miles later,i noticed my rear tyre was warped and bulged,not my wheel but my tyre.I decided to just leave the tyre as it was and cycle home when i finished work as the tyre was still hard,to be honest i hardly noticed any difference while cycling. When i had a look at the tyre when home there was a 1.5 inch scar on the inside of the tyre,like a bruise,the tyre is knackered it's only done 300 mlles.first time i have ever had a tyre issue apart from wear,any ideas on what happened to the tyre, as it was new.

Possibly just a faulty tyre. I've had issues with tyres that retail at around £35 a pop yet perish at the sidewalls within about 300 miles of use (Schwalbe Ultremos), and those were replacements for a set that had went the same way. A bad batch? Perhaps, but not good enough at that money.

What tyres are you using?

Along with 2 other cyclists we were thrown off a Scotrail train at Perth.

The guard or whoever would not let the train move until all cycles with bookings were placed on the racks and other cycles were taken off.....:angry:

I was a bit pissed off TBH as I had asked at the Arbroath ticket office if I needed a reservation for the bike and he said no......:blink:

This was June 2011 BTW......

The only other time I took the train with the bike was with the east coast service to Berwick and I had to pre-book the bike and it was placed in the guards van for the journey.

Book your bike a place, just in case........

For everyone's interest, here is the reply I got to an enquiry to Scotrail::

Thank you for your email dated 4 September 2012.

Cycle reservations are not available on this journey. We allow cycles to be carried free of charge on this route subject to space being available. At peak times, we make every effort to strengthen trains to provide additional seating and consequently extra space for cycles.

I can assure you that we are committed to providing secure storage areas for cycles at all ScotRail stations throughout the franchise.

Our conductors cannot permit further cyclists on board once the capacity level has been reached. The specific number of cycle spaces can vary from train to train. Our policy is clear - that although we welcome cyclists, the space available is limited. Therefore, if two spaces are available and these are in use, we would expect passengers to wait for the next available service.

Thank you for contacting ScotRail. If there is anything else we can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Should you need to reply to this email, please respond to scotrailcustomer.relations@firstgroup. com.

Yours sincerely

Aelwyn Cowan

Customer Relations Advisor

There are something like 4 spaces for bikes on the racks on a Scotrail sprinter service. :huh:

.......<_<

Possibly just a faulty tyre. I've had issues with tyres that retail at around £35 a pop yet perish at the sidewalls within about 300 miles of use (Schwalbe Ultremos), and those were replacements for a set that had went the same way. A bad batch? Perhaps, but not good enough at that money.

What tyres are you using?

I bought a new bike a couple of months ago and it was the original tyres that were on the bike,i know the tyres on new bikes can be of the cheap variety but 300 miles is pathetic, i am not a tyre expert but the tyre says KENDA,:thumbsdown i will not be buying them as a replacement

I bought a new bike a couple of months ago and it was the original tyres that were on the bike,i know the tyres on new bikes can be of the cheap variety but 300 miles is pathetic, i am not a tyre expert but the tyre says KENDA,:thumbsdown i will not be buying them as a replacement

The Schwalbe Ultremos came with my bike too. As I say, the RRP is around £35 a pop. Since then, I've had another set of Ultremos that had to be binned even sooner. They are great tyres on the road, but the durability was abysmal on the two sets i had. I've since had Michelin Pro Race3s (£25 each). Again, great tyres, but two shredded within as many weeks. They were not abused and I was careful with pressures.

At that point, I decided that I'd opt for cheaper tyres and treat them as disposable. Cue a set of Schwalbe Luganos that I picked up for a tenner each. 300 miles or so later, and they haven't missed a beat. Unlless you intend racing, I'm not sure that spunking away daft money on tyres is really worth it, TBH.

ETA: on a related matter, CycleSurgery are doing a good deal on Specialized inner tubes. 3 for a tenner, including long valve tubes that cost £5.99 each. Free postage. I've used a lot of Specialized tubes (see above <_< ), and would recommend them.

Foot of the page

Edited by Drooper