Official P&b Cycling Thread

what one?

I only recently downloaded this, It seems fun. went on a guys route fom mossend to M&D's there, (was gonna stay out longer but the cold rain got to me) it was a bad Idea, it was throught the nature trail. It was wet muddy, the path at places is about 1.5ft wide then a sheer drop to the river, que me slippin all over the place peltin through the woods. it says i beat the dudes time, but I won't be doin that again.

The Carmunnock Road descent. I got up to 2nd, then got beaten again. I think where it's won and lost is when the descent slows and kicks up a tiny bit, because on the downhill stretches I've hit 46 mph.

Picked up about my 4th puncture in the last week due to the shitty weather/condition of the roads in govan so finally gave in and spent some money on puncture resistant tyres.

Picked up the yellow version of these foldable maxxis refuse for £17.99 each which seems good value http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=12537

had a look at these but read they split easy. The maxxis tyres seem to get good reviews and are massive in australia.

That'll have something to do with the heat :ph34r:

I've got a set of Gatorskins and they are great - only ever punctured once by broken glass.

I got scunnered with expensive tyres shredding and opted for a cheap as dirt set of Schwalbe Luganos (paying about a tenner a pop). They've been superb, so far, for budget rubber.

On the subject of winter gear, I don't know if anyone on here is familiar with Ozzo clothing.

Boiled down, it's great quality cycling gear at great prices. I've 2 pairs of shorts, a pair of windstopper gloves, a jacket, a pair of overshoes and a pair of arm warmers from them so it's safe to say I'm a fan :lol: .

Based on the comments on here I think I will return the maxxis and buy gatorskins as its only a small price difference. One question though, for my commute to work would i be better with 700 23's or 25s?

This seems quite a common question. I moved to 25s and noticed no real difference in performance. 25s give you a slightly more comfortable ride.

+1 for the Gatorskins

This seems quite a common question. I moved to 25s and noticed no real difference in performance. 25s give you a slightly more comfortable ride.

+1 for the Gatorskins

Tire pressure is more important than breadth. Keeping the tires up to max pressure (100-120 psi on road bikes) is quite important on reducing rolling resistance.

The downside of Gatorskins is getting them on and off. I stretch mine a bit to make it easier but they are still a PITA.

The perfect day for a bike run today,blue skies and NO WIND,hurrah.Thought i'd go for a new route of about 25 miles,got lost on the unsigned back roads and ended doing almost 40 miles, wasn't to bothered though it was a great day to get lost.

On the tyre debate,after my last useless set of tyres,i also decided on continental gatorskins :thumsup2 which so far have been puncture and trouble free.

Tire pressure is more important than breadth. Keeping the tires up to max pressure (100-120 psi on road bikes) is quite important on reducing rolling resistance.

The downside of Gatorskins is getting them on and off. I stretch mine a bit to make it easier but they are still a PITA.

I'd just about given up putting the Gatorskins on. I'd never fitted a road bike tyre before, and these things were an absolute nightmare. I was a bawhair away from chucking it. I then posted on a cycling forum and recieved a bit of advice from a helpful member. He suggested I invest in one of these:

Crank Bros. Speed Levers

I bought two (always handy to have a spare). I've not used any other tyre lever since. These things are a Godsend!

Edited by Drooper

Hadn't been out for a month but did 30 miles today with three friends, two of which were fitter than me. We cycled out to Kylsyth via Dullatur and then they took me over the Tak-ma-doon road :o. Had to stop cycling four times to watch the steeper bits.

Cracking route though and a brilliant day.