Official P&b Cycling Thread

At risk of having the substance of my previous post thrown back in my face, what's everyone's opinion of registering for PFS this year? From reading here and elsewhere, I gather last year's had a few issues mostly surrounding people who didn't know how to ride in a group causing accidents.

It's something I'd love to do again after doing it in 2011, but on the other hand doing Glasgow-Edinburgh is something I can do any time without the risks of inexperienced group cycling (albeit without road closures).

I didn't find the inexperienced rider thing to be a problem really - far worse were the speed fiends on the Edinburgh cycle paths - utter arseholes.

I'll be doing it again, if only for the t-shirt. biggrin.gif

Seriously considering doing a longer trek this year. I see there's now a Scottish National Trail from Cape Wrath and I'm wondering if it's do-able on a bike.

At risk of having the substance of my previous post thrown back in my face, what's everyone's opinion of registering for PFS this year? From reading here and elsewhere, I gather last year's had a few issues mostly surrounding people who didn't know how to ride in a group causing accidents.

It's something I'd love to do again after doing it in 2011, but on the other hand doing Glasgow-Edinburgh is something I can do any time without the risks of inexperienced group cycling (albeit without road closures).

I'm already looking forward to PFS. There were some problems of bunching and overtaking, and ideally like-paced riders should be started together. The Wiggo-wanabees don't mix well with family groups etc, but it was a great day.

I got myself that helmet as a present also lol

Is there any websites/forums out there with training plans for turbo trainers? As i dont want just go on it and sprint for as long as i can

What d'you make of it? I'd say it's expensive, but well worth the money. Very light and comfortable.

Had to buy new tires the other day, my old ones had gone a bit bald. New pair of Gatorskins :D.

As NewBornBairn and others have suggested the inexperienced cyclists aren't the issue. Sure some maybe rode too many abreast which made it hard to get past and others were a bit wobbly but in an event for families you're going to have to expect that and provided you're careful it's ok.

99% of the riders on that event are fine, but the term Wiggo Wannabe sums 1% of them up. Guys going too fast, being too aggressive and with all the gear in a family event. If you want to ride that style either go out first or pick the sportive. The challenge ride is a lot more sociable than that. I was passed by 4 guys going very fast giving it the 'passing on the right' stuff as they hurtled past small kids on mountain bikes. It was dangerous and not needed, just slow down and pass people a couple of mph faster.

However it wouldn't put me off the event just because a few cyclists are idiots- see enough of that on the roads!

The one thing that did piss me off was the starting procedure. Slow, and too long. After I warmed up on the ride in I wasn't standing freezing in an hour long queue!

Cheers guys. I'll go ahead and register ("only" 3 more weeks for the early bird).

The one thing that did piss me off was the starting procedure. Slow, and too long. After I warmed up on the ride in I wasn't standing freezing in an hour long queue!

Yea, I remember the queuing being bad in 2011 as well.

I'm tempted this time to just join the back of people emerging onto Saltmarket :ph34r:. Different for the sportive where you're chipped and timed, but for the challenge ride all you lose is a hundred yards or so in Glasgow Green, which if it bothers you, you can make up by doing a lap outside Murrayfield.

In fact, wouldn't it make more sense to have different start points that then converge somewhere wide enough to accommodative everyone? Even if it was as simple as taking different routes out of Glasgow Green to Gallowgate.

Edited by The Master

Cheers guys. I'll go ahead and register ("only" 3 more weeks for the early bird).

Yea, I remember the queuing being bad in 2011 as well.

I'm tempted this time to just join the back of people emerging onto Saltmarket :ph34r:. Different for the sportive where you're chipped and timed, but for the challenge ride all you lose is a hundred yards or so in Glasgow Green, which if it bothers you, you can make up by doing a lap outside Murrayfield.

In fact, wouldn't it make more sense to have different start points that then converge somewhere wide enough to accommodative everyone? Even if it was as simple as taking different routes out of Glasgow Green to Gallowgate.

This occurred to me too, but I dismissed it as I think it was part of the social aspect to queue up. Against the spirit to do as you suggest, I'd say.

If people are concerned about the crowding / inexperienced riders in the PFS why don't you register for the Sportive ride instead of the shorter one?

You will find that whilst most of the riders there are very competitive, they generally know how to cycle in groups and it is a tremendous challenge.

I have also registered for the Caledonian Etape which looks superb!:D

This occurred to me too, but I dismissed it as I think it was part of the social aspect to queue up. Against the spirit to do as you suggest, I'd say.

Yeah I felt it was a bit against the spirit but was pissed off by the queue I just gave in. I'd queued in 2011 and it wasn't as bad 20/25 mins perhaps fewer riders. Last year, I'd done 7 miles from Paisley and was all warmed up and stood for 15 minutes but was still not even past the momument in Glasgow Green where I started queueing in 2011. I went onto Saltmarket and started, didn't bother joining back of a queuing group in case they were a bit pissed off.

The idea is to stop a massive number of riders bunching up but the traffic lights manage that anyway- esp the ones onto Alexandria Parade. Starting is by far the poorest issue of the event.

Linlithgow Palace is a great rest stop too.

Linlithgow Palace is a great rest stop too.

Oddly, I missed that one! Didn't realise you had to turn off the road. In any case, it came a bit quickly after Avonbridge, and I was glad of arriving at Kirkliston for all the Scotmid snowballs and empire biscuits!