Official P&b Cycling Thread

Very part-time cyclist here.

I seem to lose all my speed very easily whenever I hit a hill. Can't 'power' up them like I used to when I was younger.

Any tips?

To be harsh, lose weight. Stands for me as well, but when it comes to hills, the less you have to carry up the faster you go.

But the other things you can do is train a bit on hills so you can drop a couple of gears, dial up the cadence (how many pedal strokes per second) and attack the hill.

For some hills the other thing you can do is give it all on the downhill so you hit the hill with a bit of pace and keep peddling like mad, keeping the pace on the way up.

But for the most part its fitness and psychology. Never let the hill beat you. (Says he who threw a chain on an uphill today)

That reminds me: I must get a new chain and cassette ;) Nothing visibly wrong with my existing ones but they're three years old now.

Bought cheep and was not checking wear regularly. Just hope the wear has not screwed my cassette as well.

To be harsh, lose weight. Stands for me as well, but when it comes to hills, the less you have to carry up the faster you go.

But the other things you can do is train a bit on hills so you can drop a couple of gears, dial up the cadence (how many pedal strokes per second) and attack the hill.

For some hills the other thing you can do is give it all on the downhill so you hit the hill with a bit of pace and keep peddling like mad, keeping the pace on the way up.

But for the most part its fitness and psychology. Never let the hill beat you. (Says he who threw a chain on an uphill today)

All of this , plus depends on the type of hill, if its a short sharp steep one or long drag

One if the most important things is to read the rosd ahead and get in the right gear before the hill, rather than change up or down on it .

Once you're there get in a steady rhythm and as I was told, ... Let the hill come to you.( whatever the f**k that means)

68 miles in that wind yesterday. Easily the hardest ride I've done. Last 20 was into the wind home from Kirkliston; thought I'd never get back. :(

Must have done me the world of good for the Etape Caledonia. :unsure:

I seem to lose all my speed very easily whenever I hit a hill. Can't 'power' up them like I used to when I was younger.

Any tips?

What the others said, and also ride up them more!

68 miles in that wind yesterday. Easily the hardest ride I've done. Last 20 was into the wind home from Kirkliston; thought I'd never get back. :(

Must have done me the world of good for the Etape Caledonia. :unsure:

Golden rule if you're planning your route.

Always always , out into the wind, home with the wind

I was in Lochearnhead at the weekend, my brother and I cycled from there to Killen and back along the cycle route and then to Strathyre the next day. Strathyre was a good run, mostly the cycle route is on quite roads, it was rolling up and down rather than big climbs and descents.

Cycled from Airdrie to Bathgate tonight, got there so early I ended up catching an earlier train. Got off at Edinburgh Park and added another 5-6miles as well. :)

Wind was erratic, but not that bad that it was a problem.

Edited by jester

Any tips?

Don't change into a lower gear that's cheating. Just stand up, lean forward and pedal like f**k. Keep doing this until your body learns to cope.

To paraphrase some pro who's name I can never remember "it doesn't get easier, you just get faster"

Edited by Broccoli Dog

Don't change into a lower gear that's cheating. Just stand up, lean forward and pedal like f**k. Keep doing this until your body learns to cope.

To paraphrase some pro who's name I can never remember "it doesn't get easier, you just get faster"

Rule #10

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

First time on the bike in months this morning. Commute into work.

I had lost my road confidence after a long lay-off, and it took a fair bit of will to talk myself into getting back on the saddle (and yes....it hurt a bit :( ).

I was blowing out my arse after a route that previously wouldn't have even registered. A poor state of affairs, but overcoming the anxiety about getting out in the traffic again was the biggest hurdle. Fitness will come.