Official P&b Cycling Thread

Took my bike out for the first time in a year or so on Saturday. Straight up the hills and through the forest. Covered around 8km which included an elevation gain of about 240 meters. Left me absolutely f*cked. I figured I'd do a lot better having been putting in a fair bit of time on the exercise bike at home....

Last day of C2C today. Lost the morning of the first day from Whitehaven on the strava due to Garmin issues. And today we didn't complete to the official end as we have done it before and riding through Newcastle dodging dog shite isn't to much fun.

Second day Penrith to Stanhope is hard with almost 2000m climbing in the day. Snow blizzards, gale force winds, etc all survived and all good fun.

Edited by Gogs Grog

Out for a proper run for the first time in ages

Larbert . Strathblane . Milngavie . Crow Road . Carron Bridge

Great to be out and get a wee bit heat on the bones

Winter gym sessions paying off as despite not being out for 8 weeks , managed to hold my own

Edited by Unleash The Nade

I love cycling. I love the challenge of being out on the road, fighting up hills or the fear as you slip into the big front cog and hammer down hill at 40+ bouncing of off every crack in the road and knowing you will be a mess if you make one mistake. Winds in your face so strong you have to pedal on the down hills, rain soaking you too the bone and sun burning the top of your calves and the back of your neck.

Last year in August I was told I had osteoarthritis in my knees. I had gotten to the point I was finishing big rides in crippling pain. Doctor chucked me some naproxen and told me to rest and then try again. Quit except for commuting and increased my running. Now I am a real heavy lad. Even when very fit my BMI can be over 33 and my weight over 110kg. "Big unit" is a sort of description. Anyway I had been running from late 2013 to try to get into shape for triathlons.

The pain decreased but did not stop in my knees so I thought that that was it. I was finished as a distance cyclist. Anwayz, went back to the doctor about the knees to try to wangle a physio session out of the NHS to see if maybe there was something I could do. This time I got the lovely good doctor who listens to me. She says "running at your weight, ditch it and keep cycling, weight loss is your most important objective and oh here is a physio session". 3 weeks after binning the running I have done 210 miles over the past 4 days with minimal pain in the knees.

This is me right now.

:thumsup2:thumsup2:thumsup2:thumsup2:thumsup2:thumsup2:thumsup2

I was halfway through that thinking "Running's bad for the knees". I'm the same, can't cope with the impact. I tried golf but the twisting and pressure on the knees left me hirpling for days. I'm a fair weather cyclist, fat and slow, but I enjoy it.

I was halfway through that thinking "Running's bad for the knees". I'm the same, can't cope with the impact. I tried golf but the twisting and pressure on the knees left me hirpling for days. I'm a fair weather cyclist, fat and slow, but I enjoy it.

Likewise I gave up running totally about 5 years ago owing to too many recurring injuries. I would advise anyone running decent distances, or in fact just anyone, to visit a podiatrist and see if they need fitted for bespoke orthotics. Made a big difference to me.

Managed a big weekend cycling over Fri/Sat/Sun. Rode from Newport on Tay down to my sons flat in Bellevue Crescent Edinburgh for a late lunch on Sunday. What an epic route google maps provided - well other than the mountain bike trails it tried to take me on, although I did ride round loch leven on the wee tinder path before I realised. Up and over the Cliesh Hills - total bar steward. What a brilliant weekend.

I tried golf but the twisting and pressure on the knees left me hirpling for days.

I played my first round of golf in twenty months yesterday and my left knee is sore today. Seldom get problems with it after even a tough cycle.

I came to the sport late - three years ago when I was 52 - and its easily the most effective and enjoyable way to keep fit and lose a bit of weight.