Official P&b Cycling Thread

Bought my brothers Boardman Road Pro 4 weeks ago having not cycled atall in 5 years. Got lots of kit with it and have spent an absolute fortune on more kit!

Been cycling 15 miles a day Monday to Friday to work and absolutely loving cycling! Not had any incidents yet with other road users but I did fall off like an absolute bawbag at red lights due to my feet being clipped in! That won't happen again I assure you!

I beg to differ :lol:

Edited by monkeyblair

I have 7 (or is it eight) rings on my rear cassette but I can only get it to use the 3 or 4 in the middle if you know what I mean. Is this easy to fix? I only cycle about 30 miles a week to and from work so never seem to get around to learning these type of repairs.

Edited by Mad Cyril

I have 7 (or is it eight) rings on my rear cassette but I can only get it to use the 3 or 4 in the middle if you know what I mean. Is this easy to fix? I only cycle about 30 miles a week to and from work so never seem to get around to learning these type of repairs.

yeah, should be a set of screws that control the adjustment near the derailler. Just turn the bike upside down, adjust the screws and test the effects. It's trial and error.

yeah, should be a set of screws that control the adjustment near the derailler. Just turn the bike upside down, adjust the screws and test the effects. It's trial and error.

This.

Youtube has loads of video tutorials that walk you through basic maintenance techniques - always worth a look if you're not too sure.

ETA: Park Tools also have good pictorial tutorials on there site:

Clich here for the knowledge

Edited by Drooper

I know this has probably been asked in this thread but has anyone cycled along the union/forth clyde canals from Edinburgh to Glasgow?

Myself and a couple of mates were thinking about doing it this weekend, weather permitting. I've been looking online but I can't seem to find any websites with the average journey times or best places to stop for breaks. If anyone has any useful tips that would be great.

Cycled to work today, first time in ages.

A slightly wind assisted 9.73 miles covered in 39 minutes.

I believe the wind will strenghten later today so it might be a hard slog home.......:(

Maybe I could go for a beer after work and get the bus home instead.............?:whistle

Cycled to work today, first time in ages.

A slightly wind assisted 9.73 miles covered in 39 minutes.

I believe the wind will strenghten later today so it might be a hard slog home.......:(

Maybe I could go for a beer after work and get the bus home instead.............?:whistle

I've got the bike with me today, too.

I generally manage 2 - 3 days each week, but sometimes (like this morning), I have to force myself not to jump into the car. I think I've got a man-flu developing, so not feeling 100%, though, as always, I'm glad I opted to cycle in the end.

My commute is general 30 minutes or so, though I can manage it in 20 if I take the shortest route and put the hammer down - hilly at bits, though.

I know this has probably been asked in this thread but has anyone cycled along the union/forth clyde canals from Edinburgh to Glasgow?

Myself and a couple of mates were thinking about doing it this weekend, weather permitting. I've been looking online but I can't seem to find any websites with the average journey times or best places to stop for breaks. If anyone has any useful tips that would be great.

Why do you and your mates not do the Pedal For Scotland 50 mile cycle on Sunday - you can register on the day.

It is a really good flat (ish) route that you will cope with and has around 4 or 5 stops I think for free beverages and snacks!

Just a thought.

Why do you and your mates not do the Pedal For Scotland 50 mile cycle on Sunday - you can register on the day.

It is a really good flat (ish) route that you will cope with and has around 4 or 5 stops I think for free beverages and snacks!

Just a thought.

Didn't realise you could register on the day. In any case you have to go Glasgow-Edinburgh but you can buy transport on coach with bike from Murrayfield to Glasgow Green.

Just a thought.

That plan originally was to do that but the entry fee plus being in a big group put us off.

We are just going to try the canal route and if it gets too much by Falkirk we can just jump on the train earlier than planned.

Would you lot advise: will there be any difficulty getting on trains with a bike this Sunday. I desire to take the bike from Ayr to Glasgow in the morning to do the PFS, then back in the evening. Do you need to beg (or pay) Scotrail for permission?

Would you lot advise: will there be any difficulty getting on trains with a bike this Sunday. I desire to take the bike from Ayr to Glasgow in the morning to do the PFS, then back in the evening. Do you need to beg (or pay) Scotrail for permission?

Along with 2 other cyclists we were thrown off a Scotrail train at Perth.

The guard or whoever would not let the train move until all cycles with bookings were placed on the racks and other cycles were taken off.....:angry:

I was a bit pissed off TBH as I had asked at the Arbroath ticket office if I needed a reservation for the bike and he said no......:blink:

This was June 2011 BTW......

The only other time I took the train with the bike was with the east coast service to Berwick and I had to pre-book the bike and it was placed in the guards van for the journey.

Book your bike a place, just in case........

From Ayr you'll be fine as train will be empty and you'll be first on. Heard stories of it being choc full of bikes on the trains on Sundays, conductors turning a blind eye cause they have no idea what to do. As long as you don't clutter up the doors/aisles it's usually fine.

Edit can you make bookings around Strathclyde services?

Edited by flyingscot