Official P&b Cycling Thread

Trying to get into cycling as a long-term alternative to running to save the knees. Did Leith to Cramond Brig and back yesterday in an hour and a half on the 14 speed hybrid my brother left me before he went to Oz. Aiming to go as far as South Queensferry and back in the near future. However, when I see references to 68 miles and a "wee" trip being 20-odd miles, it does concern me about my ability given my 12-14 mile stint yesterday left me (a) knackered and (b) barely able to sit for saddle sore. I know having a road bike makes a fair difference but would the posters on here find a flattish 25 mile trip (maybe climbing a total of 200m in total?) on a hybrid to be a total breeze?

Can only echo what everyone else has said mate.

I started of on my hybrid just under 2 years ago and was dead chuffed when I came back from rides of 8-10 miles long and like you,I'd be knackered and sore the next day.

I used to choose routes I knew were the flattest,avoidiung as many hills as possible, but kept plodding away and was amazed how quickly I progressed and definetly got the bug.

I now think nothing of doing 80-100 mile rides and hills I used to absolutely dread,I can breeze up.

Everyone is different and will progress at different speeds and although most of the guys on this thread will give you sound advice,do whats right for you and what your body can manage, but above everything else enjoy it.

The only wee bit of advice I'd give anyone,regardless of fitness,is when setting out on a journey,always head off into the wind,so when your heading home,with less energy,at least you'll have a tailwind to help you along

Good luck with it all

Edited by Unleash The Nade

The only wee bit of advice I'd give anyone,regardless of fitness,is when setting out on a journey,always head off into the wind,so when your heading home,with less energy,at least you'll have a tailwind to help you along

Good advice, of course, but why is it that down here the wind is in your face both ways?!

Out last night for the first club run in the dark.

Bascically,these are menat to be easy runs,just to keep the legs spinning..................my arse!!.

Ended up doing around 30 miles,which entailed going out to Kilsyth and up the Tak Ma Doon Road,which is one of the toughest climbs in the Central Belt.

Descent into Carron Valley in the pitch dark was "interesting" and temperature was around 1oC

Great fun though ;)

quick question (possinly also daft one) looking at new tyres 700 x 23 c & 700 x 23 mm (does the C & mm) are they the same??

Tyre sizing is nonsense! C is some French thing used to determine a width and isn't related to mm (You can get 700B tyres).

In any case a 700x23mm and a 700x23C tyre are the same.

Anyone got any advice as to how to "cure" howling brakes?

Depends on the type of brakes, to be honest.

I pretty much gave up using my MTB when the brakes (hydraulic discs) were screaming every time I applied them. It was becoming embarrassing, as well as bloody irritating. I'd stripped them, cleaned them, taken them to the LBS as a last resort, but nothing cured it. They'd been fine for years, so I've no idea what the problem was - didn't seem to be a loose rotor bolt or warped disc etc.

Rim brakes sometimes make a noise if the rims are contaminated (oil or diesel can be obvious culprits), or the blocks are sitting off-centre or simply worn beyond use.

My suggestion would be to check all fitting bolts are properly tightened, then strip, examine, and clean them (acetone is apparently best for discs, but only worked very briefly on mine).

Depends on the type of brakes, to be honest.

I pretty much gave up using my MTB when the brakes (hydraulic discs) were screaming every time I applied them. It was becoming embarrassing, as well as bloody irritating. I'd stripped them, cleaned them, taken them to the LBS as a last resort, but nothing cured it. They'd been fine for years, so I've no idea what the problem was - didn't seem to be a loose rotor bolt or warped disc etc.

Rim brakes sometimes make a noise if the rims are contaminated (oil or diesel can be obvious culprits), or the blocks are sitting off-centre or simply worn beyond use.

My suggestion would be to check all fitting bolts are properly tightened, then strip, examine, and clean them (acetone is apparently best for discs, but only worked very briefly on mine).

Sorry should have said that they were hydraulic disc brakes. I had the brake pads replaced during a recent service which seemed to cure the problem for a while but it has come back sadly. As you say it's almost a cosmetic thing as I cycle through town or out on tracks and as I apply the brakes when going downhill a tremendous squeal breaks out. Not an impressive sound.

Anyone got any tips on hill climbing?

I'm ok but can't get close to the top guys on Strava!

I've been sitting 3rd on a descent for ages. I think it's pretty much just practice, practice, practice.

what one?

I only recently downloaded this, It seems fun. went on a guys route fom mossend to M&D's there, (was gonna stay out longer but the cold rain got to me) it was a bad Idea, it was throught the nature trail. It was wet muddy, the path at places is about 1.5ft wide then a sheer drop to the river, que me slippin all over the place peltin through the woods. it says i beat the dudes time, but I won't be doin that again.

I don't know if this of interest to anyone, but I was discussing lights with the guy in my LBS this morning and this seemed quite impressive.

Front light, 1,000 lumen, Cree LED Bulb, LI-ion rechargeable battery with 3.5 hour run time on full beam. £69.

Like I said, if anyone's interested.

Edited by Rank Badjin

I don't know if this of interest to anyone, but I was discussing lights with the guy in my LBS this morning and this seemed quite impressive.

Front light, 1,000 lumen, Cree LED Bulb, LI-ion rechargeable battery with 3.5 hour run time on full beam. £69.

Like I said, if anyone's interested.

Similar to this?...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-XML-XM-L-T6-1800-LM-LED-Cycling-Bike-Bicycle-Head-Light-HeadLamp-HeadLight-/140744146377?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_Bike_Lights&hash=item20c5013dc9

I have a similar one, VERY bright and great VFM.

Had come on this thread to ask about lights. I dont want to go wild money wise as its only for my 5 mile commute but I dont want to be knocked down for being daft and not having lights. I take it the one posted above is what guys would recommend?