Official P&b Cycling Thread

Do people believe it is possible to win the Tour De France now without being a doper?

Having read about the history of Le Tour, your question has relevance for sure. The organisers and in particular a gentleman called Desgrange were hell-bent on making every years race harder and harder. One of the ways the riders overcame this was to use whatever they could to help them endure the race.

The Modern era begs a slightly different response though. Riders are contracted, there is massive pressure from sponsors and of course the rewards financially are there to see. It has without doubt tainted the sport and there will probably always be questions asked because of this.....

That said, I believe Wiggins is clean without question.

I have added a link about Mr Desgrange, but even better read Le Tour's early history, there are a few books kicking around the Public Libraries worth a look....

http://en.wikipedia....Henri_Desgrange

Do people believe it is possible to win the Tour De France now without being a doper? Personally I find it nauseating the way suddenly it must be a clean victory just because it is a Brit winning.

The speeds have dropped very markedly over the past few years and it has been thought that Evans last year was pretty clean. Also the weight of people competitive in the mountains has come down in a very notable way. The sport of road cycling is 'cleaner', if not guaranteed clean.

But at the same time medical science has not stood still. Techniques for fluid replacement and re-hydration are better than a decade or so ago. As I understand it its now intravenous drips, by passing the digestions system. Training for individuals can be much better targeting at squeezing improvements out of them.

Most sports will have their dopers and I remain more than a little nonplussed that football has caught so few. But road cycling completely lost the plot in the 90s-2000s and doping was just taken as part of the sport by those at the top. (This is likely still the case in certain US pro sports today). The crackdown has taken the blatant cheating and hopefully making it every harder for others to find gaps.

Edited by dorlomin

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a set of lights for my bike so I can start cycling to work. 3000 lumens, which is bloody bright. Chuffed.

I'll not miss you then? :o

I was looking for this thread earlier but couldn't find it. I'm not back till Thursday so since I've been off I've:

• Taken chain off and cleaned it
  • taken both wheels off, to
  • replace hydraulic disc brake pads
  • removed rear derailleur and fitted new one

Still to index gears etc and give everything the once over. I'll probably be flying along, the brakes will fail, my wheels will come off, the derailleur will end up through the spokes and I'll end up in the middle of Inveralmond roundabout. :lol:

Could someone give me a laymans explanation of how the teams work in the Tour de France. I had watched that documentary on team sky. Why could Mark Cav not have won the thing himself and why did the tactics mean he couldn't win more stages than he did. Feel free to elaborate too, many thanks.

Could someone give me a laymans explanation of how the teams work in the Tour de France. I had watched that documentary on team sky. Why could Mark Cav not have won the thing himself and why did the tactics mean he couldn't win more stages than he did. Feel free to elaborate too, many thanks.

Oh Christ..... where to start.

Pro teams will tend to focus on the strengths of their star riders. When Cav was an HTC rider, he was the highest profile rider who was likely to win stages and a jersey. That said,he could never have featured in the general classification (ie- what it takes to win overall) as he is a dedicated sprinter, and couldn't compete in the mountain stages or time trials.

In very crude terms think, of the yellow jersey winner as a jack of all trades. Over the course, he'll spread his talent and his team will protect him and give him the support he needs to endure - protecting him from the wind, breakaways from other teams, and literally carrying water etc. Guys like Cav will excel in some areas, but don't have the all-round ability to win outright.

I'm still getting my head round how it works, and that is part of the appeal.

Edited by Drooper

For my brother's 40th birthday we are going mountain biking in Laggan. i haven't riden a bike in years, any tips on how to approach / train for this. What is a good price to hire a mountain bike for a day?

Cheers drooper. Do all teams pick one person at the start to go for it and that's it. That docu seemed to suggest that froome could have had a decent shot at winning it if he wanted.

Like a lot of people I'll no doubt pay more interest in the tour this year because of the coverage it will now have.

The strangest thing for me is that one person ends up taking all the glory for what seems like a monumental team effort. A bit like the goal scorer in a 1-0 cup final being the only one to get a medal??

For my brother's 40th birthday we are going mountain biking in Laggan. i haven't riden a bike in years, any tips on how to approach / train for this. What is a good price to hire a mountain bike for a day?

Laggan is great fun. My advice would be to hire a hard tail rather than a full sus if you don't ride much. Both the red runs are good fun and not overly technical. I've never ridden the black run but it looks a good bit harder. The bike park is also great fun.

Cycle up some hills, you have to do a lot of that at Laggan.

Enjoy :D

I started my new 2013 fitness campaign by trying a training video I spotted on YouTube which lasted 1hrs 3 mins and was done on the turbo trainer.

It was by Carmichael Training (not sure who had posted it on YouTube) but it consisted of 5 good cyclists basically going through a tutored spin class which revolved around cadence.

Unfortunately I don't have a cadence meter yet (going to get a cheapie for the bike on the turbo) so had to guess at my cadence but could only manage 40 minutes worth and I was fucked!

It is a really good workout which started with spinning and then concentrated on hill climbing using hard gears at low cadence which was superb.

It may be called Fitness Cycling by Kob Fu, I can't get on YouTube on work PC :angry:

New Shimano 105 SPD-SL pedals fitted, new shoes and a shiny new Kask Mojito helmet. I love Christmas, even if the helmet was a present to myself. :D

I got myself that helmet as a present also lol

Is there any websites/forums out there with training plans for turbo trainers? As i dont want just go on it and sprint for as long as i can

I got myself that helmet as a present also lol

Is there any websites/forums out there with training plans for turbo trainers? As i dont want just go on it and sprint for as long as i can

There are loads of uploads on YouTube which recommend programmes and what you should be doing, I was just lazy and was looking for one that you don't have to think about, just watch and do. There are a few by Mark Cavendish and I guess it all depends if it is for fitness or building up leg muscles. The one I talked about in my previous post is really good.

There are also hundreds of DVD's you can buy at reasonable prices which you can watch whilst on your turbo and it talks you through cycles.