Official P&b Cycling Thread

Quick question as i've now changed my tyre size to 700x25c do i need to change my Garmin settings to suit this or do they stay to what the wheel size? I think i need to change to suit tyre but not 100%

Edited by paisleysaints

Great ride today from dumbarton up loch lomondside to tarbert then arrochar, garelochhead, helensburgh and home. Think its called the three lochs. Path up to tarbert is good and the scenery is amazing. Big 1:6 hill on the way back which beat me, but i'd recommend it.

Great ride today from dumbarton up loch lomondside to tarbert then arrochar, garelochhead, helensburgh and home. Think its called the three lochs. Path up to tarbert is good and the scenery is amazing. Big 1:6 hill on the way back which beat me, but i'd recommend it.

Agreed - great route.

Did you include the Roseneath Peninsula? I have cycled the Peninsula a good few times. Fantastic route (I stay in Alexandria). I am guessing you are referring to the Peaton (sp?) Rd hill that brings you down into Clynder? It is brutal, but the descent makes it worthwhile - whooptastic! My preferred option now is to approach via Glen Fruin which brings you out at Faslane, but the Arrochar option is a good variation and can be included for a longer ride.

Cracking day sorely tempted to leave work early and get a few miles in

Know the feeling. My bike is in getting a badly needed once so won't likely get it back till tomorrow!

Saw this the other day- how much would you shit yourself there!

Agreed - great route.

Did you include the Roseneath Peninsula? I have cycled the Peninsula a good few times. Fantastic route (I stay in Alexandria). I am guessing you are referring to the Peaton (sp?) Rd hill that brings you down into Clynder? It is brutal, but the descent makes it worthwhile - whooptastic! My preferred option now is to approach via Glen Fruin which brings you out at Faslane,u but the Arrochar option is a good variation and can be included for a longer ride.

stayed on the arrochar/loch long road to the green kettle. The big hill is at the finnart oil depot, though i was off again at the lea brae between cardross and dumbarton.

Thats the furthest ride i've done so i was fair jiggered by the end. If you're from the vale you must have tried the auchincarroch road too? thats a nice route and would add another wee bit onto any ride for you.

I work in that area and are trying to build up enough confidence to ride into work, done most of the home run yesterday but need to crack some moredecent hills first.

Know the feeling. My bike is in getting a badly needed once so won't likely get it back till tomorrow!

Saw this the other day- how much would you shit yourself there!

once the seed wad planted had to leave work went to Largs and back the Kilbirnie Largs round had a fair few asshole drivers today

Quick question as i've now changed my tyre size to 700x25c do i need to change my Garmin settings to suit this or do they stay to what the wheel size? I think i need to change to suit tyre but not 100%

Not if you are only putting on wider tyres, 700x23-700x25 etc.

Can someone recommend me a good starter hybrid bike for under £200? Not interested in racing or going through rough terrain.

Thanks,

Fatty.

I wouldn't buy a new bike for that kind of money. Try second hand or a recycling co-op. Sub-£200 bikes are generally shite, and a false economy as the components wear out quickly and they need more maintenance than better quality alternatives. They are also less fun to ride, more often than not - more weight, and harder to handle.

I wouldn't buy a new bike for that kind of money. Try second hand or a recycling co-op. Sub-£200 bikes are generally shite, and a false economy as the components wear out quickly and they need more maintenance than better quality alternatives. They are also less fun to ride, more often than not - more weight, and harder to handle.

Slightly disagree with this. I have a triban 3 (road bike) from Decathlon. It currently costs £250 and is an absolute bargain. Carbon forks, shimano gears, ALU frame, good bike. No real issues either.

Its over the budget and not a hybrid but a great bike!

stayed on the arrochar/loch long road to the green kettle. The big hill is at the finnart oil depot, though i was off again at the lea brae between cardross and dumbarton.

Thats the furthest ride i've done so i was fair jiggered by the end. If you're from the vale you must have tried the auchincarroch road too? thats a nice route and would add another wee bit onto any ride for you.

I work in that area and are trying to build up enough confidence to ride into work, done most of the home run yesterday but need to crack some moredecent hills first.

Over 'the lanes' (Auchincarriach Rd) to Croftamie is a favourite quick spin, aye. Adding on the Gartness Rd and across to Drymen adds a few more miles with very little traffic, and is worth considering. You can then come take the route from Drymen to Croftamie (after the obligatory cafe stop, of course), then back the way you came. About 23 -25 miles or so (a bit more from Dumbarton), with a few hills, and good scenery. I work in Dumbarton and ride to work when I can (not so often recently but I intend to remedy that).

Edited by Drooper

Slightly disagree with this. I have a triban 3 (road bike) from Decathlon. It currently costs £250 and is an absolute bargain. Carbon forks, shimano gears, ALU frame, good bike. No real issues either.

Its over the budget and not a hybrid but a great bike!

Fair enough, they do get a good write-up, so that actually sounds like a good shout.