Official P&b Cycling Thread

Great day - some really nice parts of the course. Pretty brutal - very windy - and somewhat into your face in bits. Strava says 6 hours 41 minutes. Hopefully just under 7 hours on the chip because I had 9 minutes of stops. Never managed to catch on to any peletons - which might have made a difference. A but pooped now!! All in all glad I did it - early start from North Fife - kudos to my missus for dropping me off and picking me up. And to you guys and Bold Rover in particular for selling it to me. Cheers.

Hi spud - I didn't realise it was the Sportive you were doing - respect!

Great day - some really nice parts of the course. Pretty brutal - very windy - and somewhat into your face in bits. Strava says 6 hours 41 minutes. Hopefully just under 7 hours on the chip because I had 9 minutes of stops. Never managed to catch on to any peletons - which might have made a difference. A but pooped now!! All in all glad I did it - early start from North Fife - kudos to my missus for dropping me off and picking me up. And to you guys and Bold Rover in particular for selling it to me. Cheers.

Top effort. Know a couple of others on the sportive who said it was difficult.

I'm not much interested in timing myself - too old for that - but a cracking day out. Well organised, great food, good craic. And improved road closure arrangements, I believe.

Very much so in terms of road closures. Much quicker getting started and out of Glasgow, bypassed a good few sets of lights that bunched people in the past and slowed things up. Once I got to Airdrie and the crowds had thinned out it was a very enjoyable ride, picking you pace and moving along. Very well organised, food stations are excellent, although they didn't have any milk chocolate at Kirkliston which I always enjoy getting!

Thought the other riders were pretty good this year too, far less people passing in daft locations and going too fast round bends and past kids. Also didn't hear of or see any accidents this year which is a positive, however was in a crowd of folk almost taken out by an rider who lost control as you go under the bridge at Drumpellier- think he lost his water bottle, looked behind, and ended up swerving across everyone. Don't know how he didn't hit someone- the steward was not impressed.

I noticed a couple of "Wiggo Wannabes" who were determined to pass at all costs but nothing too mental. And a guy at the finish line seemed desperate to push in front of me - so much so I had to swerve slightly and ended up brushing the wheel of the rider in front. Very low speed thanks to the astroturf so no damage done.

Went to Linlithgow yesterday for a wee walk and had forgotten PFS was on.

It was great to see so many people, all ages and shapes and sizes on all kinds of bikes , mostly enjoying themselves.

However, I have to say that when in the car and then watching some of them go by later, the lack of road awareness and respect for other road users by many of the cyclists beggared belief.

I don't want to sound like some of the fuckwits who come on here and slag off cyclists, but to be honest, some yesterday didn't really look like they should have been cycling on public roads as there were some really near misses

Enjoyable day out for me. Was with the wife so took the MTB and couldn't really go for a fast time, (started together, finish together thing) but still completed none the less. She is suffering today I tell ye.

Couple of poor fellys as we passed Limerigg. Ambulance there and one with an oxygen mask on (who looked awful pale) and the other getting chest pumped. Shouts from the paramedic of cardiac arrest. I hope they are both ok.

All in all I would agree it was well organised and I did enjoy the cake along the way. Road bike next year and let's see if I can get a top ten on the P&B leaderboard :)

For a change this year I did the Family Cycle as the wee one and the Mrs wanted to do it.

Very well orgainsed at Kirkliston Leisure Centre and getting free transport from Murrayfield to Kirkliston must have been a bonus. I took the car and parked at Murrayfield first thing then cycled back to Kirky to get a bit of a warm up as I knew the cycle itself was going to be slow.

Managed the 9.5 miles in under one hour with the wee one - well done to her given she is only 7.

Only thing I would change is probably the start time for the Family Cycle.

We set off at 9.35am (in the first wave) and kind of kept in front of the other 'family' cyclists. There were, however, a few of the 47 mile riders who came whizzing past us and I'm sure they must have been getting in amongst lots of very slow cyclists on the way, not sure what you do about this though.

After the torrential rain of the Prudential London 100, it was really good to see a cracking day for it.

And you are right, pedalling through long astro turf is a bit bizarre!

Went to Linlithgow yesterday for a wee walk and had forgotten PFS was on.

It was great to see so many people, all ages and shapes and sizes on all kinds of bikes , mostly enjoying themselves.

However, I have to say that when in the car and then watching some of them go by later, the lack of road awareness and respect for other road users by many of the cyclists beggared belief.

I don't want to sound like some of the fuckwits who come on here and slag off cyclists, but to be honest, some yesterday didn't really look like they should have been cycling on public roads as there were some really near misses

Disappointing to hear that. I set out a bit earlier than normal, I was at Glasgow Green at 8am and had to do registration etc before heading to start line- think it was around 8.30am I was away at. I honestly thought most of the riding was fairly decent from the people that were around me bar the one incident where a guy made a bit of a balls up.

For a change this year I did the Family Cycle as the wee one and the Mrs wanted to do it.

Very well orgainsed at Kirkliston Leisure Centre and getting free transport from Murrayfield to Kirkliston must have been a bonus. I took the car and parked at Murrayfield first thing then cycled back to Kirky to get a bit of a warm up as I knew the cycle itself was going to be slow.

Managed the 9.5 miles in under one hour with the wee one - well done to her given she is only 7.

Only thing I would change is probably the start time for the Family Cycle.

We set off at 9.35am (in the first wave) and kind of kept in front of the other 'family' cyclists. There were, however, a few of the 47 mile riders who came whizzing past us and I'm sure they must have been getting in amongst lots of very slow cyclists on the way, not sure what you do about this though.

After the torrential rain of the Prudential London 100, it was really good to see a cracking day for it.

And you are right, pedalling through long astro turf is a bit bizarre!

Hmm that is a difficult one- I guess the really fast cyclists who go early 7am starts at Glasgow Green to avoid getting in the way of the kids on the 48 miler, end up in their way for the Kirkliston run 2 hours or so later. The bit from Kirkliston to Murrayfield is probably the tightest and narrowest bit of the run too along the cycle track- I never bother trying to go fast on that section of the run and rarely overtake as it is so busy with walkers etc.

Great time for a 7 year old too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my second non commuting ride since mid July. I was getting crippling pains in my knees after reasonably big rides and told I have arthritis. So I have had two and a half months off and on some very strong anti inflammatories. Tried a 60 miler today and seems to be ok. Anyway I have bought a heart rate monitor and figure to rebuild myself using heart rate targetting over medium distances like 60 miles rather than going for epic distances.

Here is to burning through all the blubber I have built up meantime.

I had a wheel-drain interface incident this morning.

Slowly filtering (6mph tops) past stationary traffic towards a set of traffic lights then suddenly I found myself over the handlebars and on the deck. The front wheel had wedged itself perfectly into a slit of a drain, with my bike then coming to rest against someone's car (oops). There was no damage done so the driver was fine with it. A passing pedestrian helped unwedge my bike from the drain; remarkably, there doesn't appear to be any damage - certainly, I was able to continue after putting the chain back on.

As for me - left leg came off worst, with a gash above the knee, some scrapes just along from it and something on my shin that will turn into an almighty bruise. And a distinct lack of pride.

I knew there was a drain there but never thought anything of it because it's a filter I've done literally hundreds of times with no problems.