Official P&b Cycling Thread

If anyone's interested,some cracking discounts off Dhb gear at Wiggle

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb/

Good stuff. Cheers for that.

I've got quite a few dhb bits and pieces, and, for the most part, they are very good quality for the money. The fit is occasionally a bit hit or miss - I bought a L/S winter jersey and it is too short in the body. Not not you need for a winter top, TBH. Granted, we all have different body shapes, but while a short arse, I seem to be fairly typically proportioned, and size S in just about everything else fits me fine. That's nit-picking, though. The gear is generally very good, and I always check out theri stuff when planning a new purchase.

I've ordered another set of bib-tights (less than £17!). Can't go wrong at that price. In fact, I could have been doing with them on the commute this morning - a wee bit chilly. The 93F temperature high in Skye just over a week ago seems like a long time ago....

ETA: I'm up for another Team P&B ride in the next few weeks. Anyone have any suggestions as to dates? I'm okay up to the middle of July, when I'm likely to be offski on the family holiday if we can get something cheap and cheerful booked up.

We're rapidly approaching the holiday season, and maybe we need to wait until later in the year to arrange another P&B ride?

I'm certainly up for another attempt, but looking at the diary of events and family commitments it would be a struggle now to fit anything in before mid July for me.........:(

On a personal note I'm hoping to again cycle around the 2nd division grounds for the coming season . I'll use the MTB fitted with road tyres and a rack as I really need to justify buying it...... ;) Train journey to Dumfries then cycle to Ayr, Coatbridge, Airdrie, Stenhousemuir, Alloa, Methil, Arbroath, Brechin and finally back to Forfar. Roughly 250 miles, hopefully in 3 days...:huh:

ETA - I got thrown off the train at Perth last year (heading to Glasgow) because there were too many bikes on the train and I didn't have a ticket for the bike. Embarrassing and very annoying, but even more so when I had been informed at Arbroath Station the bike didn't need a ticket...............<_<

Edited by broon-loon

We're rapidly approaching the holiday season, and maybe we need to wait until later in the year to arrange another P&B ride?

I'm certainly up for another attempt, but looking at the diary of events and family commitments it would be a struggle now to fit anything in before mid July for me.........:(

On a personal note I'm hoping to again cycle around the 2nd division grounds for the coming season . I'll use the MTB fitted with road tyres and a rack as I really need to justify buying it...... ;) Train journey to Dumfries then cycle to Ayr, Coatbridge, Airdrie, Stenhousemuir, Alloa, Methil, Arbroath, Brechin and finally back to Forfar. Roughly 250 miles, hopefully in 3 days...:huh:

ETA - I got thrown off the train at Perth last year (heading to Glasgow) because there were too many bikes on the train and I didn't have a ticket for the bike. Embarrassing and very annoying, but even more so when I had been informed at Arbroath Station the bike didn't need a ticket...............<_<

Aye, probably as well leaving it just now. That affords everyone more opportunity to get their fitness levels up.

What about this Tour de Forth that UtN had posted a link to a few pages back? Either late August or early September I think.

ETA: the above ride is on 19th August -

Tour de Forth Sportive

70 miles is a sensible distance, and I can't see it being too hilly.

I was looking for another sportive to take part in before the end of summer/early autumn, and this seems like a decent option.

Edited by Drooper

i've been browsing a few sites looking for a decent cheap road helemt the cheapest i can find is the giro monza for 45 quid anyone know of any cheaper

on the topic of bits n bobs ebay from china/hk full team kits for £30 or under obviously not official but who cares its lycra lol

i've been browsing a few sites looking for a decent cheap road helemt the cheapest i can find is the giro monza for 45 quid anyone know of any cheaper

on the topic of bits n bobs ebay from china/hk full team kits for £30 or under obviously not official but who cares its lycra lol

I've got a Monza - paid about 40 quid for it. Very good helmet with a top notch Roc Loc 5 fitting sytem (also used on their higher end lids).

Highly recommended.

I cycled for the first time in nearly a fortnight today. Jings it was tough.

It's amazing how quickly your fitness drops when not on the saddle.

Snap...

Decided to cycle to work today and its been just over 2 weeks since my last venture out on the bike.

Quite enjoyed the run in (10 miles), but the changable weather might dampen the homeward journey at 7.30 tonight......:(

I went out for a ride with a colleague who is doing an Iron Man event in Germany in three weeks. He was 'tapering down' tonight. FFS, this guy is a machine, and he was clearly riding within himself to cater for my diddiness.

3 and a half hours with only a break (fucking midge-fest :angry: ) to repair a puncture to my front tyre. I don't even have the energy to blow out my arse tonight! :lol:

I don't know if this the right thread, but does anyone know if there is any sort of cheap bike scheme in the stirling area, you know, old recycled bikes or something? I want to get one for commuting (a few miles a day on tarmac, nothing heavy), but it'll have to live outside, so I don't want to spend big money on it. Anyone got any advice of where I might be able to get one?

I don't know if this the right thread, but does anyone know if there is any sort of cheap bike scheme in the stirling area, you know, old recycled bikes or something? I want to get one for commuting (a few miles a day on tarmac, nothing heavy), but it'll have to live outside, so I don't want to spend big money on it. Anyone got any advice of where I might be able to get one?

Never heard of any in this area

As far as I know there are schemes like this in Edinburgh and Glasgow

How much are you looking to spend?

Never heard of any in this area

As far as I know there are schemes like this in Edinburgh and Glasgow

How much are you looking to spend?

I've no idea tbh. My last bike was a frankenstein's monster combination of my 2 old bikes and my dads old bike, all of which were presents, so I've never actually paid for a bike. I used to cycle 5 miles a day when I was in school, but I've not had a bike since 2007 or so. Whats the going rate on basic new bikes (basic racer types, don't need to use them on gravel, so no need for a mountain bike)? Can you get anything new for £100?

Just stuck in a new Hollowtech II bottom bracket with a Shimano 105 triple on the front. Can feel the weight difference. But now having a brand new chainset I have a 120 mile cycle with all my kit to Glade Festival tomorrow......

Not exactly giving it a couple of gentle ones to make sure the shifting is working right.

And I have not had a ride past 30 miles in over a month and a half. Am doing my MSc so have had a mental work load and 8 exams in 3 weeks and 2 days finishing yesterday.

Are the legs up to it?

Will the front gears work with the new chainset?

Will my brilliant plan to get vodka past the security in water bottles work?

Log on here on monday evening to find out (alternatively round about 11am tomorrow to say the new rig is a wreck)

Oh yes, Im pissed have been out celebrating.

There is a company at the Riverside called Recyke-a-bike, try them.

I've no idea tbh. My last bike was a frankenstein's monster combination of my 2 old bikes and my dads old bike, all of which were presents, so I've never actually paid for a bike. I used to cycle 5 miles a day when I was in school, but I've not had a bike since 2007 or so. Whats the going rate on basic new bikes (basic racer types, don't need to use them on gravel, so no need for a mountain bike)? Can you get anything new for £100?

Its the old story of you get what you pay for.

the only thing about buying second hand is that you dont know what kind of state things like wheel bearings,gear changers,bottom bracket etc,etc are in and it could quite quickly cost you a fair bit of money if these need replaced.

If its just for the low usage you say,something like this may be fine,as just over budget,brand new and at least you'll get some kind of guarante

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_782569_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

There is a company at the Riverside called Recyke-a-bike, try them.

Perfect! I'll give them a look at the weekend, cheers!

Its the old story of you get what you pay for.

the only thing about buying second hand is that you dont know what kind of state things like wheel bearings,gear changers,bottom bracket etc,etc are in and it could quite quickly cost you a fair bit of money if these need replaced.

If its just for the low usage you say,something like this may be fine,as just over budget,brand new and at least you'll get some kind of guarante

http://www.halfords....tegoryId_165534

Thats not too bad at all actually, my next port of call if there isn't anything decent at that first place, cheers! As I said I don't have anywhere indoors to keep it, so it is going to rust to f**k fairly quickly. No point in wasting money on an expensive shiny bike if its not going to be looked after. It'll be good to be back on a bike again after so long. :)

Perfect! I'll give them a look at the weekend, cheers!

Thats not too bad at all actually, my next port of call if there isn't anything decent at that first place, cheers! As I said I don't have anywhere indoors to keep it, so it is going to rust to f**k fairly quickly. No point in wasting money on an expensive shiny bike if its not going to be looked after. It'll be good to be back on a bike again after so long. :)

Try ebay and Gumtree as well for your local area.

You can get bike covers as well if you're planning to keep it outside, should keep the worst of the weather off your bike, whichever purchasing route you go down.

Try ebay and Gumtree as well for your local area.

You can get bike covers as well if you're planning to keep it outside, should keep the worst of the weather off your bike, whichever purchasing route you go down.

I'd proceed with some caution on these sites.

Gumtree in particular is worth a watching (as my old Grandma used to say), as it is the favoured outlet for stolen steeds.

Edited by Drooper