Golfers Thread

Gaz

12 hours ago, RiG said:

I might be trying out the course at Dalmuir in the near future. Has anyone on here played it before?

Yeah, played it loads when I was growing up. Unlike my last post it's normally in reasonably good nick for a council course.

First time I played it I couldn't find the 2nd tee and started playing the 13th. It's better signposted now. Holes 4-11 are pretty mundane, a loads of short par 4s going back and forth, then the last 7 go nuts, up and down massive hills, the 14th is about a 240 yard par 3 over a ravine from the back tee then the 15th you go down to ground level and hit back up almost to the 14th tee.

18th as mentioned is a long par 4 round a right to left bend with the fairway sloping the other way, and the 12th is a sub 100 yard par 3 over a burn with a massive drop from tee to green. Good fun.

19 hours ago, cas79 said:

There is some decent cheap courses out there try drumpellier that's a nice course think you can get on for £17 on teeoftimes bellshill is ok too, I'll get you down my course sandyhills from a game I can sign you on for £10

A wee bit of advice for you.  I used to use teeofftimes all the time, then once one of the courses we played the head pro asked us for a word after.  He said if you book through that we don't get any of the money, so we'd really appreciate if you called us up first and we would try our best to match the price or as close as possible, say if it's £18 we might do £20.

So since then every time i have checked on teeofftimes and then called and every single time every course has matched the price when I explained. Also on teeofftimes they can put you with someone else you don't know and the times are restricted, but if you book through the club they don't do that, and you're putting money into clubs that really need it. 

You should give it a go.  Just call up tell them how much you can get it for say you'd rather give the money to them can they match the price they almost always will in my experience.

A wee bit of advice for you.  I used to use teeofftimes all the time, then once one of the courses we played the head pro asked us for a word after.  He said if you book through that we don't get any of the money, so we'd really appreciate if you called us up first and we would try our best to match the price or as close as possible, say if it's £18 we might do £20.
So since then every time i have checked on teeofftimes and then called and every single time every course has matched the price when I explained. Also on teeofftimes they can put you with someone else you don't know and the times are restricted, but if you book through the club they don't do that, and you're putting money into clubs that really need it. 
You should give it a go.  Just call up tell them how much you can get it for say you'd rather give the money to them can they match the price they almost always will in my experience.

That's what I have done in the past I just used the app to find out what courses were in my area, I did book cawder and lenzi last year through the app tho.
I got on Douglas park twice £10 each time and drumpellier 3 times £12, by just phoning and asking if the same price applies, last time I called drumpellier the guy Ian I'm sure his name was wanted £17, not been up since,
I don't mind being paired up, saying that IV not been paired with an arse yet

If anyone's at a loose end and not going to any football on Saturday, teeofftimes have got a hot deal for palacerigg golf course 2:56pm for £8.
Not played Palacerigg for years but it's a decent municipal course and great value for £8.
It might he £7.50 too much though to put up with ma shi*the patter right enough.

[emoji3] Bit out the way for me

1 hour ago, cas79 said:

That's what I have done in the past I just used the app to find out what courses were in my area, I did book cawder and lenzi last year through the app tho.
I got on Douglas park twice £10 each time and drumpellier 3 times £12, by just phoning and asking if the same price applies, last time I called drumpellier the guy Ian I'm sure his name was wanted £17, not been up since,
I don't mind being paired up, saying that IV not been paired with an arse yet

Yeah if it's significantly more I would just book it on teeofftimes but definitely worth calling first.  Great site though played quite a few decent courses cheap cause of it.

Sound advice tbf
I've played Airdrie quite a few times and the 2 guys in the pro shop are brand new. As you say, I'd rather give them the ££ than golf now.

4 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Sound advice tbf
I've played Airdrie quite a few times and the 2 guys in the pro shop are brand new. As you say, I'd rather give them the ££ than golf now.

Yeah definitely, a lot of these wee clubs barely keep their heads above water so it's good to support them a wee bit if you can.  

Was watching a PGA debate on the future of golf and at a point they were talking about loft changes over the years and if there should be a universal loft amonge all the brands and wether they should be going back to older style lofts too, basically the manufacturers have been using stronger and stronger lofts to increase distance and tricking consumers into thinking it's the new clubs, average pw distance in 1970 was 120y now it's 140y main thing is the lofts are now 44° in the 70s 52° finding it really interesting they were mostly talking about the ball tho which is a bit boring, if anyone has iptv it's on the golf channel just now a9327a41abe3ec4ab019f47a38fd3458.jpg

8 hours ago, cas79 said:

Was watching a PGA debate on the future of golf and at a point they were talking about loft changes over the years and if there should be a universal loft amonge all the brands and wether they should be going back to older style lofts too, basically the manufacturers have been using stronger and stronger lofts to increase distance and tricking consumers into thinking it's the new clubs, average pw distance in 1970 was 120y now it's 140y main thing is the lofts are now 44° in the 70s 52° finding it really interesting they were mostly talking about the ball tho which is a bit boring, if anyone has iptv it's on the golf channel just now a9327a41abe3ec4ab019f47a38fd3458.jpg

It`s a continual process.  The loft of a 7 iron in the Callaway Rogue irons is 30 degrees and for the Rogue X irons is 27 degrees!

I think a lot of customers fully realise what is going on in all honesty but we all like to think (pretend) we are hitting the ball further. 

20 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Yeah, played it loads when I was growing up. Unlike my last post it's normally in reasonably good nick for a council course.

First time I played it I couldn't find the 2nd tee and started playing the 13th. It's better signposted now. Holes 4-11 are pretty mundane, a loads of short par 4s going back and forth, then the last 7 go nuts, up and down massive hills, the 14th is about a 240 yard par 3 over a ravine from the back tee then the 15th you go down to ground level and hit back up almost to the 14th tee.

18th as mentioned is a long par 4 round a right to left bend with the fairway sloping the other way, and the 12th is a sub 100 yard par 3 over a burn with a massive drop from tee to green. Good fun.

The stretch from 4-7 is definitely the most uninspiring part of the course; 8-10, although still straightforward, are a bit more interesting as all the drives are blind (downhill on 8 & 10, uphill on 9), and there are great birdie chances on the two downhill holes, although the also the possibility of real difficulty over the back of the 10th green.

I've played Dalmuir half a dozen times in the past few weeks and the greens were immaculately maintained even during the driest spell of weather.  A total contrast to the Glasgow courses: I finally gave up on Ruchill a couple of weeks ago because the greens were unplayable - hadn't been mowed, old holes not filled in, no pins and rubbish everywhere. A real shame, as although it's very short, it has a few interesting holes (6th and 7th in particular), and I used to nip down a couple of times a week in the summer to practice my short game. Alexandra Parade was just as bad last time I went there. Never seen Lethamhill in quite such poor condition, but you're right - it could be a really decent course if properly maintained, as it has the length and the variety of layout that the other municipals north of the river lack.

I'd recommend going back to Dalmuir though. Still only £12.30 a round, and it's rarely busy - in fact apparently West Dunbartonshire Council have been considering selling part of it off for property development, which would be a sin, so it could do with more customers.    

It`s a continual process.  The loft of a 7 iron in the Callaway Rogue irons is 30 degrees and for the Rogue X irons is 27 degrees!
 I think a lot of customers fully realise what is going on in all honesty but we all like to think (pretend) we are hitting the ball further. 

Just thought it was interesting

3 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Can anyone suggest a very picturesque course in the Highlands to play?  My Mrs is here next week, gonna take her up there.  Doesn't have to be that good and preferably not expensive just somewhere with stunning views etc.

If you wan't to treat her play Royal Dornoch, great views but a bit pricey.  There is also a second course that is only about £50 a round but haven't played that one.

1 minute ago, Tynierose said:

If you wan't to treat her play Royal Dornoch, great views but a bit pricey.  There is also a second course that is only about £50 a round but haven't played that one.

Dornoch I thought of but expensive.  Didn't realise there's a second course, will have a look into it. 

Though quite far north.  I'm picking her up from Edinburgh and thought would take a wee tour through the Highlands on the way home and maybe play a course.  

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

That's the Struie.  I grew up playing that course with my Dad and Grandpa, great memories of that course though often tarnished by spending a lot of time trying to fish my ball out of the burn! Definitely recommend. Muir of Ord might be worth a shout as well. 

Looking online for something found a few.  One called dragons tooth near fort William looks like a quirky wee 9 holer, could make a day driving over there get lunch play that drive home. Scotland's number one ranked nine holer apparently.  It's really just nice views and setting I'm looking for and something that I can do in a day on a meandering route back to Dundeeish.

Just now, RiG said:

That's the Struie.  I grew up playing that course with my Dad and Grandpa, great memories of that course though often tarnished by spending a lot of time trying to fish my ball out of the burn! Definitely recommend. Muir of Ord might be worth a shout as well. 

How far north is dornoch?  Is it way past Inverness?