Golfers Thread

Gaz

4 hours ago, peasy23 said:

8 years ago today since Seve died.

British Masters at Hillside this week should be a good tourney, then the second major of the year is the following week with the USPGA at the Bethpage Black course, which is always a tough set up. One of my mates played it a couple of years ago, he plays off 5 and struggled to break 90. 220px-Seve_Ballesteros.jpgbethpagesign.jpg

Bethpage has the potential to be utter carnage, but in a good way.

It was even tough on Tiger Woods PGA Tour!

Bethpage has the potential to be utter carnage, but in a good way.
It was even tough on Tiger Woods PGA Tour!
Aye, my mate said the biggest problem is that all the greens are surrounded by rough, with very little that would pass as semi rough. Miss the green long, short, left or right then you are in trouble. The rough was all very thick, and that was just the normal set up, would imagine it will be worse next week.

Played with my father in law with the intention of submitting my first card for handicap on Monday.  Played ok, bit rusty after not playing much for a while, but was plodding round hoping to sneak in just under 100.  Got to 16 and lost 2 balls and walked off with a 9, then proceeded to fire 3 balls off the tee on 17 into the wilderness and NR'd.

Seething with myself.  I should have at least tried to post a score.

5 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Played with my father in law with the intention of submitting my first card for handicap on Monday.  Played ok, bit rusty after not playing much for a while, but was plodding round hoping to sneak in just under 100.  Got to 16 and lost 2 balls and walked off with a 9, then proceeded to fire 3 balls off the tee on 17 into the wilderness and NR'd.

IIRC it's quite a tight finish at Whitecraigs, not the course to chase a score.

Having said that, the last time I played there, the houses behind the 1st green were still being built!

55 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

IIRC it's quite a tight finish at Whitecraigs, not the course to chase a score.

Having said that, the last time I played there, the houses behind the 1st green were still being built!

16 is a lovely, but no room for error par 3.  17 isn't actually that hard a hole.  It's a 280 yd par 4, but it's a blind tee shot that's quite tight.  The smart thing to do would have been take a 5 iron off the tee, but I've never claimed to be smart.  18 is a solid par 5 to finish. 

12 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

You can still post a score.  You just NR those holes and they are counted as a double bogey,  Think is fairly standard all across Scotland.

7 hours ago, Kuro said:

You can still post a score.  You just NR those holes and they are counted as a double bogey,  Think is fairly standard all across Scotland.

I think because I've not got a handicap I need to post a score.  They said that I couldn't submit that card.  I have a feeling once I get a handicap, then what you said would be the case.  

19 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I think because I've not got a handicap I need to post a score.  They said that I couldn't submit that card.  I have a feeling once I get a handicap, then what you said would be the case.  

Some courses will accept 1 NR in your 3 cards. Worth asking the handicap convenor, unless you've already binned it!

I nr the last hole on sat and the whole round was nr when I checked howdidido app, I have a hc

2 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Oh, I think our club you can still submit them probably.

4 sub 70 rounds sees Robert McIntyre finish tied for second at the British Masters, just one behind the winner. Richie Ramsay fell away over the weekend but still hung on to 5th place. 2 good pay cheques and important Race to Dubai points for them both.

4 sub 70 rounds sees Robert McIntyre finish tied for second at the British Masters, just one behind the winner. Richie Ramsay fell away over the weekend but still hung on to 5th place. 2 good pay cheques and important Race to Dubai points for them both.
But for the Swedish lad finishing birdie-birdie MacIntyre would've been in a play off. Another good week for the Scots on the European Tour.

This season I have been playing in a "Pennants" competition, representing my club Chamberlain Park, eight players from each club play each week.  There are 7 divisions and we were competing in the fourth (called Captains), which is a "no-handicap - play off-the-stick" type arrangement.  We've done really well and are top after all the round-robin games.  I've been picked in all the rounds to play at No 8 and have been lucky to win 5, half 1 and lose 1.  

Play-offs:
Second placed Windross beat third placed Pakuranga to play us in this Sundays final to see who gets promoted.

My knees are knocking already at the thought of the first tee on Sunday.  

Wish us luck!

Final Captains table jpg.jpg

This season I have been playing in a "Pennants" competition, representing my club Chamberlain Park, eight players from each club play each week.  There are 7 divisions and we were competing in the fourth (called Captains), which is a "no-handicap - play off-the-stick" type arrangement.  We've done really well and are top after all the round-robin games.  I've been picked in all the rounds to play at No 8 and have been lucky to win 5, half 1 and lose 1.  
Play-offs:
Second placed Windross beat third placed Pakuranga to play us in this Sundays final to see who gets promoted.

My knees are knocking already at the thought of the first tee on Sunday.  
Wish us luck!
5cdb84105f586_FinalCaptainstablejpg.jpg.5bb442fc9a07f19232ceb630de7064ee.jpg

Best of luck [emoji106]
Let us know how it goes