Golfers Thread

Gaz

10 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Scottie S looking likely this week means Rory is worth a fiver of my hard earned to win the whole thing next week 

Delighted that the smiling Norwegian came from nowhere to shoot a 61 to win it.

Was through in Edinburgh all day yesterday and got a late train home but the train was full of Asian tour players heading to St Andrews after playing the international series event at close house house near Newcastle.. Matthew Cheung is a good guy 

Edited by doulikefish

27 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Delighted that the smiling Norwegian came from nowhere to shoot a 61 to win it.

Was through in Edinburgh all day yesterday and got a late train home but the train was full of Asian tour players heading to St Andrews after playing the international series event at close house house near Newcastle.. Matthew Cheung is a good guy 

Our club assistant pro has qualified for the tournament in St Andrews (Fairmont).  Tempted to go up and watch at the weekend.

45 minutes ago, Disco Duck said:

Our club assistant pro has qualified for the tournament in St Andrews (Fairmont).  Tempted to go up and watch at the weekend.

Is that the Asian tour event? Aren’t there a few LIV guys playing as well? 

8 hours ago, peasy23 said:

That's the 6 US Qualifiers now locked in. Now that Koepka has slipped out the top 6 I'm fully expecting a LIV free team.

20230821_011604.jpg

All great players ofc, but not as scary a prospect as their top 6 might have been. They were so far ahead of Europe at Whistling Straits that the long-term picture looked grim.  But if ZJ doesn't pick Bruce or Bryson, who are clearly still great players, and DJ is out cos he is LIV/old, and they're missing Thomas due to losing his game then this year I don't think Europe are that far behind.  Fitzp and Hovland hitting form is also welcome. Could do with Lowry doing the same.

Basically, I think the LIV losses might be bigger for the Yanks than Europe, since Westwood, Poulter, Casey, Garcia, Stenson were all pretty much done anyway.

29 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

All great players ofc, but not as scary a prospect as their top 6 might have been. They were so far ahead of Europe at Whistling Straits that the long-term picture looked grim.  But if ZJ doesn't pick Bruce or Bryson, who are clearly still great players, and DJ is out cos he is LIV/old, and they're missing Thomas due to losing his game then this year I don't think Europe are that far behind.  Fitzp and Hovland hitting form is also welcome. Could do with Lowry doing the same.

Basically, I think the LIV losses might be bigger for the Yanks than Europe, since Westwood, Poulter, Casey, Garcia, Stenson were all pretty much done anyway.

Defo. Justin Rose also playing well and he's a nailed on captain's pick imo.

McIlroy, Rahm, Hovland, Fleetwood, Rose, Hatton, Lowry and Fitzpatrick are stick ons whoever qualifies. Hopefully Bob can tie up his spot, then it's 3 from Straka, Paul, Meronk and Aberg imo.

4 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Is that the Asian tour event? Aren’t there a few LIV guys playing as well? 

This one: 

List of players

Keep an eye on Rob Paterson.  He beat me at the nearest-the-pin comp at our annual pro day, so he must be good!

ETA - id had a few beers by that stage so I think he had an advantage.  And it was windy. And he’d been taking on everyone so had plenty of practice.

Edited by Disco Duck