Golfers Thread

Gaz

3 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Got a deal through work for those for £45? But didnt know if it was better to pay £60 for the new course? Think the castle is closed?

You'd probably get a 4-ball at Drumoig for the cost of a single at the New/Jubilee, and you wouldn't be playing off mats.

Castle usually opens early March, but play at all the Links Trust courses will be off mats until the end of March. Unless you avoid the Ranger, obvs...

Have to say, there is worse ways to kill 15 mins than sticking Liv on youtube and just seeing non stop golf shots. The music is pretty irritating though 

Detry off to a flyer in the PGA but has some horses chasing him (Ludvig, Cantlay, JT) 

On 03/02/2024 at 11:49, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Bob not playing this weekend or at the Phoenix next weekend. What events does his card actually allow him to compete in? Seems a bit counter productive going over there if he’s missing all the better events.

Very surprised and disappointed that he's not playing Phoenix as you'd expect Bob to enjoy and thrive in that raucous atmos.  Either he doesn't qualify (unlikely as he has a full card and his world ranking is still decent - Pebble is a small field) or he's maybe decided his putting is so calamitous that he needs more time to work on it?! Think I read somewhere that he'd flown home after the last event?

Just checked and this Hootsmon article had him likely playing Phoenix in terms of early season plans - so looks like a mysterious change of schedule:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/golf/bob-macintyre-braced-for-big-culture-change-on-pga-tour-but-wowed-by-new-florida-base-4469865

MacIntyre is wasting no time in making full use of his new status. In addition to the Sony Open in Honolulu, he’s also teeing up in The American Express and Farmers Insurance Open then taking a week off back in Orlando before the WM Phoenix Open, Mexico Open, Cognizant Classic, Puerto Rico Open, Valspar Championship, Houston Open and Texas Open all look set to be on his early-season schedule. “Well, you have almost been given a golden ticket and, for me, it is like a free shot at the PGA Tour,” said the Scot. “Go and get your card secured up by August and then come back to the DP World Tour and then, hopefully, you play well and secure that card.”

1 minute ago, VictorOnopko said:

Very surprised and disappointed that he's not playing Phoenix as you'd expect Bob to enjoy and thrive in that raucous atmos.  Either he doesn't qualify (unlikely as he has a full card and his world ranking is still decent - Pebble is a small field) or he's maybe decided his putting is so calamitous that he needs more time to work on it?! Think I read somewhere that he'd flown home after the last event?

Just checked and this Hootsmon article had him likely playing Phoenix in terms of early season plans - so looks like a mysterious change of schedule:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/golf/bob-macintyre-braced-for-big-culture-change-on-pga-tour-but-wowed-by-new-florida-base-4469865

MacIntyre is wasting no time in making full use of his new status. In addition to the Sony Open in Honolulu, he’s also teeing up in The American Express and Farmers Insurance Open then taking a week off back in Orlando before the WM Phoenix Open, Mexico Open, Cognizant Classic, Puerto Rico Open, Valspar Championship, Houston Open and Texas Open all look set to be on his early-season schedule. “Well, you have almost been given a golden ticket and, for me, it is like a free shot at the PGA Tour,” said the Scot. “Go and get your card secured up by August and then come back to the DP World Tour and then, hopefully, you play well and secure that card.”

He’s 5th reserve for the Phoenix so he obviously wants to play but doesn’t actually qualify. Infact the other reserves are all DP World Tour guys which is making me think this “full card” is a bit of a sham and they are at the very bottom of the pecking order. You even have sponsors invites and old duffers in the field before them. 

I’ll assume based on that, that these guys have no chance of featuring at The Players etc unless they win one of the shitey events somewhere down the line.

16 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

He’s 5th reserve for the Phoenix so he obviously wants to play but doesn’t actually qualify. Infact the other reserves are all DP World Tour guys which is making me think this “full card” is a bit of a sham and they are at the very bottom of the pecking order. You even have sponsors invites and old duffers in the field before them. 

I’ll assume based on that, that these guys have no chance of featuring at The Players etc unless they win one of the shitey events somewhere down the line.

Yeah, I just saw that info on the Bob Mac tracker on Twitter. Don't know who runs it but at the start of the month they were expecting him to play Phoenix.  As you say this shows that the full card isn't really that at all - the DPW guys must be way down the exemptions list to not be in a 132 player field!  I'm not surprised he doesn't fancy the Monday qualifiers either, given his form atm.

Edited by VictorOnopko

No play looking likely at Pebble today so with no NFL and now no pga be interesting to see if Liv picks up ,averaging about 15k viewers worldwide on YouTube the first 2 days 

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

Pebble and Phoenix are elevated events normal pga qualifying doesn't apply 

Basically big purses to stop the top guys heading to Liv 

So none of the DP World Tour guys automatically qualify for the 8 “signature events”? I notice that The Players isn’t included in the list which surprises me given it’s considered the biggest event outwith the majors. Are these guys likely to qualify for that or do they need to be above a certain position in the FEDEX/OWGR to qualify?

I’m surprised all the DP guys haven’t just played in the middle east the last month instead of going over there and competing in two shanner events when they are not being considered for the two better events. 

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

So none of the DP World Tour guys automatically qualify for the 8 “signature events”? I notice that The Players isn’t included in the list which surprises me given it’s considered the biggest event outwith the majors. Are these guys likely to qualify for that or do they need to be above a certain position in the FEDEX/OWGR to qualify?

I’m surprised all the DP guys haven’t just played in the middle east the last month instead of going over there and competing in two shanner events when they are not being considered for the two better events. 

Pavon qualifies from his win for the elevated stuff and the players.

Guessing they all went over to get a fast start in FedEx points as it's all about Keeping there cards and the more points it gets them in the big ones apart from Fox who I think gets in the players/majors due to his world ranking .But the players already has a massive prize pool I'm sure at one point it paid more than the majors 

3 hours ago, doulikefish said:

No play looking likely at Pebble today so with no NFL and now no pga be interesting to see if Liv picks up ,averaging about 15k viewers worldwide on YouTube the first 2 days 

Pebble cancelled until Monday and just did 15 mins watching Liv 11k viewers 

I’m giving LIV a proper go for the first time with Pebble being canned for the day and nothing else really on. Still find it quite boring, difficult to put the finger on why, maybe the crowds and the course being a bit dull.

Also the team scoring thing is still quite difficult to understand for a new viewer, Mickelson’s team seem to be many shots over par but sticking around E for the team event?

8 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

I’m giving LIV a proper go for the first time with Pebble being canned for the day and nothing else really on. Still find it quite boring, difficult to put the finger on why, maybe the crowds and the course being a bit dull.

Also the team scoring thing is still quite difficult to understand for a new viewer, Mickelson’s team seem to be many shots over par but sticking around E for the team event?

Yeah I've no idea either about the team thing but I see there's a new rule this weekend ....get Rahm into contention 2 penalty stroke to whoever's leading rule 🤣

51 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Yeah I've no idea either about the team thing but I see there's a new rule this weekend ....get Rahm into contention 2 penalty stroke to whoever's leading rule 🤣

I’m sure the team thing scoring is top 3 of the 4 players over the 1st 2 days then all players scores count for the last day

I get that one of their big things is just showing constant shots being hit vs the likes of the PGA Tour being very stop/start due to ads but it always feels so chaotic to me to the point it’s actually hard to follow. I like the chilled out thing golf has going on and enjoy a lot of the interviews and filler stuff they do, especially the on the range content you get at The Open. LIV is the total opposite and I find it all a bit stressful to watch at times. 

The team aspect of LIV is absolutely honkin’, I find it impossible to follow and there must surely be a better way of doing it. It really puts me off watching it and this is coming from someone who chooses to watch golf over any other sport outwith watching Dumbarton or Scotland.