Golfers Thread

Gaz

4 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/67208255

It might work, in a 'so bad it's good' kind of way...

Sounds utter shite.  If LIV had dreamt this up it would be utterly ridiculed.

Why is there the need for an indoor league utilising simulators when golf is currently a global game that can be played in great weather during the day on fantastic real golf courses at any time of the year.

Might be a wee bit of fun for the players and definitely a novely for the first couple of events but I think interest from both players and spectators will quickly wane.

On 31/10/2023 at 23:22, Caledonian1 said:

Sounds utter shite.  If LIV had dreamt this up it would be utterly ridiculed.

Why is there the need for an indoor league utilising simulators when golf is currently a global game that can be played in great weather during the day on fantastic real golf courses at any time of the year.

Might be a wee bit of fun for the players and definitely a novely for the first couple of events but I think interest from both players and spectators will quickly wane.

Money no doubt will be a major factor. 

Also is it going to promote indoor golf tournaments for the public? Cheaper to maintain and you can play all the best courses in the world? 

I’m looking to get back into golf. I suffered badly all my golfing life from tracking the flight of ball as I had bacterial meningitis as a toddler which made playing golf really stressful as I could never see my ball after it hit it on tee or fairway.  I honestly can’t tell you how difficult that disability makes playing golf so hard. As if it’s not hard enough setting up and taking a shot - knowing you are going to struggle to follow the flight of the ball or where it lands is a fcuking nightmare. 

The idea of trying out these indoor golf courses like https://topgolf.com/uk/glasgow/ really appeals to me to get back into the sport. 
Can anyone recommend this venue or something similar?

Way back in the 70s I thought why can’t they just put a tracker in the ball but then I realised that the manufacturers are quite happy for you to lose those things! 

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

I’m looking to get back into golf. I suffered badly all my golfing life from tracking the flight of ball as I had bacterial meningitis as a toddler which made playing golf really stressful as I could never see my ball after it hit it on tee or fairway.  I honestly can’t tell you how difficult that disability makes playing golf so hard. As if it’s not hard enough setting up and taking a shot - knowing you are going to struggle to follow the flight of the ball or where it lands is a fcuking nightmare. 

The idea of trying out these indoor golf courses like https://topgolf.com/uk/glasgow/ really appeals to me to get back into the sport. 

Way back in the 70s I thought why can’t they just put a tracker in the ball but then I realised that the manufacturers are quite happy for you to lose those things! 

There are golf balls with trackers on them on the market, they just aren't very good. 

As for indoor venues, as well as Top Golf there is the Golf Lounge which has full simulators in booths but is more aimed at parties of folk rather than someone just going down to play a few holes. 

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

Probably not all, but mist driving ranges these days have toptracer or similar. Tracks your shot and lets you play a variety of games, courses, modes etc. 

Also, I'm not sure if it's all driving ranges but the one I go to causes my swing, mind and temper to completely fall to pieces, so watch out for that too. 

52 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

There are golf balls with trackers on them on the market, they just aren't very good. 

As for indoor venues, as well as Top Golf there is the Golf Lounge which has full simulators in booths but is more aimed at parties of folk rather than someone just going down to play a few holes. 

Have you tried these indoor venues? If so what was your experience?

2 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I haven't but golf simulators are usually decent enough. Putting and short chips can be a bit of a mess but you can usually practice tee to green pretty normally. 

4 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Thank you. I think I’ll give it a go.

Yeah what Moonster said re the short stuff. In my opinion, don't waste your time with top golf. It's a f**k about venue, same with the golf lounge. You can take your own clubs etc but even a moderate hitter will hit right through the back. Id avoid venues that are full.of folk bevvying tbh 🤣If you can find a place that uses trackman that's the boy for proper practice and useful data. Better than toptracer.

2 hours ago, Molotov said:

Our local club actually has a simulator room in the clubhouse that you hire out for cheap if you are a member. It would probably be worth finding something like that rather than something that’s more geared towards groups of folk looking for a bevy/golf night.

The trackman stuff at most driving ranges these days will be your best bet. I’ve no idea where you are based but Great Western Golf has tracking equipment in every booth these days (I think) and a big screen to show you ball flight and distance etc. Top Golf definitely falls into the gimmicky night out with a bevy category and isn’t the cheapest.

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Is there a cut at the Nedbank? I notice there are only 64 players in the field.

It's a no cut event now ...trying to go down the route of the pga playoffs then the top 50 ( I think) get to play in dp world next week in Dubai 

Ps Sun City is magnificent 

4 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

It's a no cut event now ...trying to go down the route of the pga playoffs then the top 50 ( I think) get to play in dp world next week in Dubai 

Ps Sun City is magnificent 

Probably good news for Bobby Mac then, he’s had a horror show of a morning!

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Probably good news for Bobby Mac then, he’s had a horror show of a morning!

Yip but can cheer himself up by having a Wimpy in the food court in the central building there 🤣

23 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Turns out it was 4 when I posted but he’s just racked up his 5th on the 17th. Absolutely wild stuff.

CA5A56DB-C212-46AD-877A-B5D8EE50CC71.thumb.jpeg.2ccb13244f4e1977da691325473d184b.jpeg

Go off line there and you are in the bush ...when you play there if you put one in the trees the local advice is not to even look for it as you may disturb something creepy crawly and  nasty but they have wildlife rangers when the nedbank is on 

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

Go off line there and you are in the bush ...when you play there if you put one in the trees the local advice is not to even look for it as you may disturb something creepy crawly and  nasty but they have wildlife rangers when the nedbank is on 

An attack by a pack of hyenas would probably be more enjoyable than having to listen to Gary Player waffle his old man nonsense.