Golfers Thread

Gaz

16 hours ago, Tartan Dave said:

I don't expect the american coverage to give much of a monkeys about Bob because why would they, but has he been on the coverage at all? I've only seen bits and bobs over the few days but not seen him yet 

So have you seen Bob on the coverage or not?

Played my first 9 holes of the year this afternoon. Delighted when I was told it was full greens……until my approach on the 1st bounced 25 feet in the air and cleared the green! They were solid! 

Yeah boabs not been seen but it's pga he isn't a name on there and like most of the field he won't get a mention or any coverage but making cuts and top 10 s when it's "your" week is the way to keep his card and break into the top 50 to get all the good stuff that comes with that even if it's in one of the lesser events like punta cana like Matt Wallace last year 

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Played my first 9 holes of the year this afternoon. Delighted when I was told it was full greens……until my approach on the 1st bounced 25 feet in the air and cleared the green! They were solid! 

Surprised you managed today - I canna even see my course right now as white-out conditions  (I live next door)  Looks like we are getting three days of snow

Edited by Caledonian1

12 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Surprised you managed today - I canna even see my course right now as white-out conditions  (I live next door)  Looks like we are getting three days of snow

Course was fine until the greens. Surprised they weren’t on winters. I enjoyed getting out for a hit. 

I think we are due snow this week in Angus as well 

5 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Pleased for Fleetwood but Rory has thrown that away. 3 putts from 2 feet on 14 then hooks his drive into the drink on 18. 

The stats on the 3 putt are mind-blowing.

14 hours ago, peasy23 said:

A positive start to Bob's PGA Tour career, first thing he has to be doing is make cuts on a regular basis.

Aye, a very solid week in the bag after a bit of an iffy opening round that left him work to do to make the cut. He hit a few absolute bombs off the tee including a 360 yard monster on the 9th yesterday!

I have a few days off and decided to live on the wild side last night by staying up to watch the end of Sony Open. Carl Yuan hit a stinker on 18 and got a free drop as it was deemed to have gone into the hospitality area. From the footage it’s incredibly hard to tell due to the ball blending into the white tent…

For me it looks like it drops directly through the roof but everyone else on earth seems to think it has gone over. The ball was never actually found, therefore meaning it shouldn’t be a free drop. The commentators said the rules officials made their decision based on the footage AND testimony from the patrons in the tent. At the time it looked like it was a huge let off for Yuan, but alas he could not capitalise to join the playoff.

I’ll leave it up to the good gentlemen of the Pie & Bovril “Golfers Thread” to be the jury…

5 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I have a few days off and decided to live on the wild side last night by staying up to watch the end of Sony Open. Carl Yuan hit a stinker on 18 and got a free drop as it was deemed to have gone into the hospitality area. From the footage it’s incredibly hard to tell due to the ball blending into the white tent…

For me it looks like it drops directly through the roof but everyone else on earth seems to think it has gone over. The ball was never actually found, therefore meaning it shouldn’t be a free drop. The commentators said the rules officials made their decision based on the footage AND testimony from the patrons in the tent. At the time it looked like it was a huge let off for Yuan, but alas he could not capitalise to join the playoff.

I’ll leave it up to the good gentlemen of the Pie & Bovril “Golfers Thread” to be the jury…

A" professionals" drop I'll go with 

9 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Good for him, hopefully it opens the door for an extra youngster to qualify for the US Open. 

Especially given the fact he can still play at a decent enough level on the champions tour, infact pretty much dominated that, he could have played a few more years and not embarrassed himself the way some of the past champions of events have. 

6 birdies and 5 bogeys for Bob in Round 1 of the Amex, he was playing at La Quinta was is supposedly the easier of the 3 courses. For comparison 7 of the leading 13 who are -8 or better were playing there.

11 hours ago, peasy23 said:

6 birdies and 5 bogeys for Bob in Round 1 of the Amex, he was playing at La Quinta was is supposedly the easier of the 3 courses. For comparison 7 of the leading 13 who are -8 or better were playing there.

Yeah, not great at all on the easiest course as you say.  Making the cut looks pretty unlikely this week.  Hopefully Bob can get some momentum going with better first rounds in upcoming events.  Still finding his feet so far (although he did OK last week). Bit surprised he didn't play Dubai this week but maybe he couldn't be arsed with the flights.

Tees off at 1736 our time today.As for getting some TV time if he plays well he will be shown.Matthew Pavon getting plenty coverage after a good week last week and a decent start yesterday and today 

6 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

Yeah, not great at all on the easiest course as you say.  Making the cut looks pretty unlikely this week.  Hopefully Bob can get some momentum going with better first rounds in upcoming events.  Still finding his feet so far (although he did OK last week). Bit surprised he didn't play Dubai this week but maybe he couldn't be arsed with the flights.

Remember 54 hole cut this week normally around -9