Golfers Thread

Gaz

I see we've changed the qualification process for the Ryder Cup team next year. Basically any player who only holds a DP World Tour card has next to no chance of qualifying through the points list any more. Is there a point the the European Tour any more? All it's doing now is feeding players to the PGA.

On 06/08/2024 at 00:20, peasy23 said:

Can also heartily recommend Dan Grieve,  my short game was a shambles and I was regularly taking 3 and 4 to get down from greenside. Watched his 3 Releases video a few weeks back, spent 90 minutes at our practice area, and since then for the first time in ages I've actually felt like I know what I am trying to do when I'm standing over a chip.

Also had an epiphany with the driver after watching Thriston Lawrence at The Open with a 3 wood shaft in his. Read a couple of articles online about the benefit of high handicappers using a shorter shaft.  Started just gripping a couple of inches down and since then I've been finding the middle of the club face much more often, with no noticeable loss in distance.

Iv not tried gripping down the driver but my own method, and its not grest yet but when I catch it I drive it aswell as anyone I play with, is basically a half swing with very little break of the wrists at all. 

If you catch a modern driver square on the sweet spot, it's gonna travel. 

More generally I am starting to improve from my utterly dismal season so far putting as much focus as I can on getting the club back to the ball square. I'm exaggerating the hips open, hands in front of the club thing and it seems to be working for me so far. Seems like granny suck eggs territory but it's where iv suffered really bad 

56 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I see we've changed the qualification process for the Ryder Cup team next year. Basically any player who only holds a DP World Tour card has next to no chance of qualifying through the points list any more. Is there a point the the European Tour any more? All it's doing now is feeding players to the PGA.

It's been increasingly obvious that Golf at the pro level is an US led administrative shambles.

Long past time we had a proper elite world tour with the current tours all on a similar level feeding in to it.

3 minutes ago, Cheese said:

It's been increasingly obvious that Golf at the pro level is an US led administrative shambles.

Long past time we had a proper elite world tour with the current tours all on a similar level feeding in to it.

Lets get the Saudis involved. They'll get it done. 

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Lets get the Saudis involved. They'll get it done. 

Short of some sort of massive collaboration between hedge funds and global corporations to match their 'let's just chuck billions' at this attitude, they're going to have to be involved.

They've got their foot well and truly in the door now anyway. The key is surely maximising their financial input while minimising their influence and dogshit 51 man field, 27 holes of Texas Scramble type programme.

Bob was due to tee off at 5.43 alongside Billy Horschel and Brian Harman at The Wyndham Championship, but the whole of Round 1 has been postponed until Friday due to tropical storm Debby.

Hopefully it's the start of a 4 week run of tourneys for him culminating in an appearance at The Tour Championship. 

Edited by peasy23

Just now, peasy23 said:

Those British sprint bikes are a bit different. 

Aye, but I wouldn’t be replacing the 60 degree wedge in my bag for one.

Phil Mickelson planning to retire because his golf game is utter mince. A man who cared so much about the future of golf 2 years ago that he almost singlehandedly disrupted it, is now giving up because he's getting pumped on the same novelty tour he said would save golf. Thankfully he's moving into LIV golf commentary so at least we won't need to listen to the c**t from now on.

7 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Playing there on Tuesday. Really looking forward to it.

The greens are mental! Very undulating. If you miss in the wrong area it’s a guaranteed 3 putt 

Aaron Rai has been knocking on the door for the last couple of months, but finally gets a win at the Wyndham. It's still showing as suspended as 1 player still has to finish. That player is Matt Kuchar, he hit his drive in the rough on the last, and decided it was too dark and he would come back and finish this morning. Maybe understandable if he was in contention, but he had slipped way down the leaderboard by then.

His playing partner Max Greyserman was in second spot and finished his round along with the 3rd man in their group Chad Ramey. 

Edited by peasy23

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Aaron Rai has been knocking on the door for the last couple of months, but finally gets a win at the Wyndham. It's still showing as suspended as 1 player still has to finish. That player is Matt Kuchar, he hit his drive in the rough on the last, and decided it was too dark and he would come back and finish this morning. Maybe understandable if he was in contention, but he had slipped way down the leaderboard by then.

His playing partner Max Greyserman was in second spot and finished his round along with the 3rd man in their group Chad Ramey. 

So Kuchar is coming back this morning to pop it on the green and 2 putt for a par? 

6 hours ago, bobbydazzler said:

Played Spey Valley yesterday, lovely course but by Christ that is some walk.

Set of crampons and oxygen from your Sherpa required ....I stupidly played 36 holes there in one day 🙄